882c85a1d870bd475ad07c5f50a094b4 (resized).jpg
IMG_1997.gif
e60a79b25294c8047ccdbdf7b8146d5b7b87be5743d3c61f3842c3dbaa68af87 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
tootsie pop (resized).jpg
Kaneda on pinside (resized).jpg
IMG_7639 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7671 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,157 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 24.
#901 29 days ago

I'm curious about why they put the ramp spinners where they did. They just don't seem super conducive to spinning well.

They're angled and not hit straight on by a ball from the flippers. And it sounds like pitch can cause them to not sit well and reject.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Compared to some other ramp spinners

Straight on shot on Kingpin (from their famously strong flippers)

Ramp entrance on LOTRs jump ramp

Dominos is spun on the ramp return, but you at least know it won't reject a good ramp shot

#902 29 days ago

Thinking about it more, one of my friends last night was telling me about how he was playing it the other day and you couldn't hit the ramps without rejecting off the spinners. Maybe thats why they lowered it down to the flat level it was at last night. Now the spinners sit at an angle where the ball can go through them.

#903 29 days ago
Quoted from gjm7777:I played it there last week, and the back leg levelers were completely flat - the game was so floaty you couldn't even make the ramps.
I'd be surprised if the game had a pitch above 3.0

I am a pinball neophyte but I did take physics a few times. How does a low pitch make ramps harder?? Should be "the steeper the playfield, the more force required for ball to reach ramp apex"

#904 29 days ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Because it's not good?

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

#905 29 days ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

I am a pinball neophyte but I did take physics a few times. How does a low pitch make ramps harder?? Should be "the steeper the playfield, the more force required for ball to reach ramp apex"

I would say they could be flying off, but it looks like they have air ball protectors to stop that

#906 29 days ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

Oh I agree, and the games right next to it (also American) had their levelers up at least 2 inches and had no issues. The flippers didn’t feel super weak either, really odd.

#907 28 days ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

I think the ramps were hard to make not because the game was floaty (which it was), but because the flippers are so weak. I also believe the game is floaty because the spinners sit at the wrong angle if the game is properly pitched, so they have it sitting very level. It'll be interesting to see how they have them set up at MGC.

#908 27 days ago

It’s interesting that pinside says five pinside users have added one of the B.O. BBQ games to their collection.. as far as I can tell two of those are launch partner locations/operators.

Compared to another recent release like jaws which has 600ish already.

#909 27 days ago

I look forward to buying an unsold apron on the website later. Between my thermos and lunchbox, an apron would fit in nicely. Maybe for Cuphead they’ll have a branded French press. Then I’ll really be ready to make my food for the day.

Also please make games with stronger demand. I wouldn’t mind buying some of these if I knew I wouldn’t lose my shirt when I sell it (ooh, maybe a Yukon yeti tshirt! It can be fuzzy so I can stay warm after my wife kicks me out of the house for buying dumb toys. Or at least a nice pair of giant slippers)

#910 27 days ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

It’s interesting that pinside says five pinside users have added one of the B.O. BBQ games to their collection.. as far as I can tell two of those are launch partner locations/operators.
Compared to another recent release like jaws which has 600ish already.

People love paying for their BOBC fix one game at a time, on site, at a buck a play (or hopefully less), because that way, when the night is done, they can casually walk to their car, get in, drive home, and fall into a dream-like sleep in their own warm bunky, and not have to withstand the hot, feverish unending night terrors that would haunt your every waking moment knowing you had spent actual REAL money on purchasing one of these turds in the first place. Can you imagine the sheer abject horror of realizing you actually ordered, recieved, and PAID FOR one after setting it up and playing your first HUO game?

That feeling of hopelessness as you realize just how long its going to take, or how low the price will need go to unload (foist?) this abortion of an excuse of a pinball machine onto someone else.

To harsh? No, not in my experience... this thing is chock full of buyers remorse...

#911 27 days ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

People love paying for their BOBC fix one game at a time, on site, at a buck a play (or hopefully less), because that way, when the night is done, they can casually walk to their car, get in, drive home, and fall into a dream-like sleep in their own warm bunky, and not have to withstand the hot, feverish unending night terrors that would haunt your every waking moment knowing you had spent actual REAL money on purchasing one of these turds in the first place. Can you imagine the sheer abject horror of realizing you actually ordered, recieved, and PAID FOR one after setting it up and playing your first HUO game?
That feeling of hopelessness as you realize just how long its going to take, or how low the price will need go to unload (foist?) this abortion of an excuse of a pinball machine onto someone else.
To harsh? No, not in my experience... this thing is chock full of buyers remorse...

I actually had a nightmare that I paid 7k for a GTF LE..it came NIB to my house and turned into a tank and I woke up sweating thinking OH GOD, WHAT DID I DO? Then I realized it was a dream and was very thankful. No joke, thats a true story.

#912 27 days ago
Quoted from Sandman33:

I actually had a nightmare that I paid 7k for a GTF LE..it came NIB to my house and turned into a tank and I woke up sweating thinking OH GOD, WHAT DID I DO? Then I realized it was a dream and was very thankful. No joke, thats a true story.

I traded a dp pro for a deluxe GTF. Kids love it, friends who have played it really enjoyed it. I’m glad I did it because it shoots well and is fun. The new code will definitely help but for the month we have owned it that’s the pin that gets played the most. FF is second with the new code then probably bond or final resistance.

#913 27 days ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

I traded a dp pro for a deluxe GTF. Kids love it, friends who have played it really enjoyed it. I’m glad I did it because it shoots well and is fun. The new code will definitely help but for the month we have owned it that’s the pin that gets played the most. FF is second with the new code then probably bond or final resistance.

I'm not even trying to shit on the game. I just had that weird nightmare. I know I could just sell it for more than 7k. But thats what I paid in dreamland and I was upset LOL. I've never played GTF but I would like to.

#914 27 days ago
Quoted from Sandman33:

Wes Craven is on the phone for you...

#915 27 days ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Wes Craven is on the phone for you...

I can see the plot already...It's dark, you hear a thump from downstairs...you slowly walk down to the basement with a knife in your hand, you turn the corner to find that where your Big Lebowski used to be there's a fucking BBQ pinball in its place!!!! You run to your Medieval Madness only to find a tank with lights on it!! OH THE HORROR!

#916 27 days ago

And, your BBB? An Oktoberfest... then you look at your Getaway H.S. II and it's a Hotwheels... and your BSD is a Houdini! There is only but one thing left that you can do, and that's turn the gun on yourself and put you out of your own misery.

#917 25 days ago

Finally got to play the game while down at PinBrew the last few days and somehow, it's even worse than I thought it would be, which, I don't even know how that's possible, but here we go...

Here's the thing: the flippers felt like wet noodles. They were the weakest flippers I've ever seen on any game I've ever played. Some people complain about older JJP's having weak flippers, but that is NOTHING compared to the flippers on this monstrosity.

How weak are they? Well, it was damn near impossible to make any ramp shots. For that matter, it was tough making any shots I was aiming for, given the lag and calculus I had to do to compensate for these shitty flippers.

Now you may be wondering, "was there a power issue at PinBrew that could have explained the weak flippers?" No, no there wasn't. And here's how I can tell: 1) no other game in that bank had flipper issues (or any games I played at PinBrew for that matter), except for GTF (hmmm) and 2) there was another BBQ game at a completely different section of the room and that one felt just as terrible

So here's the sad truth: this game is a non-starter to begin with if you have weak-ass flippers that can't hit the ramps on the game. Full stop. Not even worth digging into the shit theme, bush league LCD animations, videos of meat, etc. It's hard to even talk about what's in the game when a brand new one is unplayable. Failure to launch, abort, abort, abort.

So much of what AP does is mind boggling and hurts my head, but we've reached a new level where they can't even get the flippers right, something so f*cking basic you'd think that would be the least of their worries.

#918 25 days ago
Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

Finally got to play the game while down at PinBrew the last few days and somehow, it's even worse than I thought it would be, which, I don't even know how that's possible, but here we go...
Here's the thing: the flippers felt like wet noodles. They were the weakest flippers I've ever seen on any game I've ever played. Some people complain about older JJP's having weak flippers, but that is NOTHING compared to the flippers on this monstrosity.
How weak are they? Well, it was damn near impossible to make any ramp shots. For that matter, it was tough making any shots I was aiming for, given the lag and calculus I had to do to compensate for these shitty flippers.
Now you may be wondering, "was there a power issue at PinBrew that could have explained the weak flippers?" No, no there wasn't. And here's how I can tell: 1) no other game in that bank had flipper issues (or any games I played at PinBrew for that matter), except for GTF (hmmm) and 2) there was another BBQ game at a completely different section of the room and that one felt just as terrible
So here's the sad truth: this game is a non-starter to begin with if you have weak-ass flippers that can't hit the ramps on the game. Full stop. Not even worth digging into the shit theme, bush league LCD animations, videos of meat, etc. It's hard to even talk about what's in the game when a brand new one is unplayable. Failure to launch, abort, abort, abort.
So much of what AP does is mind boggling and hurts my head, but we've reached a new level where they can't even get the flippers right, something so f*cking basic you'd think that would be the least of their worries.

Guess you didn't like it. Really too bad its that bad. It looks like AP needs to do a serious gut check.

#919 25 days ago

No build up to launch. horible theme, generic videos of cooking meat, bad art, weak flippers...I'm being serious; are they tanking this on purpose?

This is amateurish even for them.

#920 25 days ago

Easy to make the flippers stronger in settings.

LTG : )

#921 25 days ago

Sounds like someone is just butthurt he couldn't get turkey legs multiball

#922 25 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

Easy to make the flippers stronger in settings.

But this begs the question: why is it being shipped like this, if that's the case?

#923 25 days ago

But this begs the question: why is it being shipped like this, if that's the case?

I don't know if it was.

And power at the factory may be different from where it's put. Which is why many manufacturers usually make coils adjustable.

#924 25 days ago

Probably because American Pinball likes a challenge. They want to ship games in the worst possible configuration with the worst possible launch just to see if they could sell any. Kind of like a company where they really like the concept of an escape room.

#925 25 days ago

Maybe there is a silver lining to them not sharing the schematic design of their new boards because they’re afraid they’d be copied. Can’t copy the shit flipper design!

Maybe they have a really bad fade/heat issue. I’m sure people were waiting a long time to play the number one new barbecue game (well, the one featuring non-human meat at least)

#926 25 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

I don't know if it was.
And power at the factory may be different from where it's put. Which is why many manufacturers usually make coils adjustable.

Many manufacturers are smart enough to crank up the settings for show games and make sure their games are playing well before sending them out. As he said in his review, no other games had problems. but AP. AP is speeeshal. Like when they drove a GTF down the street to Jack Dangers for a stream and it just didn't work, they had to pull the glass off 12 times.

Regarding the super weak flippers. I wonder if the new aimtron board is partially to blame. Hey maybe like JJP they'll let you pay $400 for a new IO board once they figure it out in 5 years.

#927 25 days ago

You’d think the top tier competitive players at the company would notice

Quoted from Sorokyl:

Many manufacturers are smart enough to crank up the settings for show games and make sure their games are playing well before sending them out. As he said in his review, no other games had problems. but AP. AP is speeeshal. Like when they drove a GTF down the street to Jack Dangers for a stream and it just didn't work, they had to pull the glass off 12 times.
Regarding the super weak flippers. I wonder if the new aimtron board is partially to blame. Hey maybe like JJP they'll let you pay $400 for a new IO board once they figure it out in 5 years.

I would assume board too. Only other thing it might be is poorly set up flipper mechs. Maybe not enough gap in the mech? Although that seems unlikely on all the flippers in two games. But it’s possible if they have all new people building these games and they’re repeating the same mistake.

Maybe an issue with the coil sleeve, bushing, or similar? I just assume they get the same ones from everyone else though?

And yeah, you’d think it’s a copy provided by a distro trying to sell the game. You’d think they go over it to make sure it’s in tip top shop. You only get one first impression and the flippers are the most important thing.

Some people have said they felt fine and some said they don’t feel good.

#928 25 days ago

They really don't want to pay Barry O's estate royalties.

#929 24 days ago

offtopic but is GTF flipper as bad as BBQ?

#930 24 days ago

I've played it at 2 separate locations now and this has been my experience exactly. Worse than I thought and the flippers were atrocious!

Worth noting- the first location, they have the game set up extremely flat because at the proper pitch the ramp spinners reject the balls. It played extra bad there. Also of note, Maurice was on site the whole time.
Second time was MGC, so a big show. This game was actually set up better. A little more pitch, and I didn't experience any rejects. Maybe the flippers felt "slightly" better? They still felt bad and the game was just plain bad, just less bad than the first place I played it.

#931 24 days ago

I played it here also. I honestly didn't mind the layout. A simple, classic-style with some fun old school features like individual saucer ball locks. I had the same issue with hitting the ramps though. I made them on occasion but majority of the time they were bricking. The animations and the stock meat footage, woof. It would have been better just being like a System 11 and having 7 digital score displays.

#932 24 days ago
Quoted from cookpins:

I played it here also. I honestly didn't mind the layout. A simple, classic-style with some fun old school features like individual saucer ball locks. I had the same issue with hitting the ramps though. I made them on occasion but majority of the time they were bricking. The animations and the stock meat footage, woof. It would have been better just being like a System 11 and having 7 digital score displays.

I agree with the above but at this point it’s clear AP thinks they know what we like…

#933 24 days ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

I've played it at 2 separate locations now and this has been my experience exactly. Worse than I thought and the flippers were atrocious!

played the game at TPF at many different spots... flipper power was never the concern with the game.

#934 24 days ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

played the game at TPF at many different spots... flipper power was never the concern with the game.

yeah and you also had the worlds only reliable GTF for a long time

#935 24 days ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

That makes me start to learn towards who ever is screwing together the flipper mechs doesn't properly gap the bat from the bushing and it is binding. Minor changes in temperature and humidity can also cause some binding, robbing power.

Once I did a service call on a Beatles where a flipper was stuck. My instinct was coil stop failed. But it was fine. Turns out there wasn't enough gap next to the bushing. Another time I sold an EM I restored for someone. It worked totally fine in my work shop. When they set it up at their house, they complained about the flipper binding. As far as I could tell it was because they kept it in an non-temperature-controlled pool house. So it had to be reset.

#936 24 days ago
Quoted from VGC1612:

offtopic but is GTF flipper as bad as BBQ?

The flippers on the GTF I played this year at PinBrew didn't seem as bad as the flippers on BBQ, but IMHO, they were still bad.

I'm sensitive to how flippers are b/c that's everything when trying to time and line up shots. It felt delayed/sluggish on GTF. Again, worse than any old JJP game I've ever played. To me, it was bad enough for me to just walk away from the game, despite continuing to try to give this game a chance.

I played one the week prior at a completely different location and those flippers felt weak as well.

#937 24 days ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

yeah and you also had the worlds only reliable GTF for a long time

And like here... for every 2 people that actually have solid hands on data, there are 20 blabbering for days on end about how things SHOULD be and what they THINK they know ..

#938 24 days ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

My experience was different. Weak over the 4 examples attempted. Finally struck luck with fifth machine and got good time in. It is possible they were adjusted along the way or simply a different time of day.

#939 23 days ago

Walking away from a game you started at a show is classless . Now you’re wasting someone else's time to run your balls off the table so they can start a game - it’s irritating and just poor form .

#940 23 days ago
Quoted from NevadaNutJob:

Walking away from a game you started at a show is classless . Now you’re wasting someone else's time to run your balls off the table so they can start a game - it’s irritating and just poor form .

Is this directed at me?

I said, "I walked away from the game", not, "I walked away from a game in progress".

I was classy AF and suffered through the entire 3 balls because I have love in my heart for my fellow man.

#941 23 days ago

Apologies . I took it wrong but glad to hear you believe in courtesy to others and etiquette in public . I’ve observed many do not . Back on topic - An operator friend just got and set up a BBQ locally . I’m looking forward to trying it just like all new games ! It doesn’t have to be great for me to enjoy my time playing a new pin .

#942 23 days ago
Quoted from NevadaNutJob:

FWIW if you hold the left flipper button and start button on Sterns they will end all games in progress and go back to the home screen. I tried this on BBQ at the show because somebody left a game in progress and it reset the game, but it achieved the same result.

Flynn is probably right though, Nick, me, dozens of tournament players at another location, and a ton of people at the show all don't know what weak crappy flippers feel like.

#943 23 days ago

I'm jealous of those that have access to these mythical games without flipper issues or simply don't recognize them the way we do.

#944 23 days ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

FWIW if you hold the left flipper button and start button on Sterns they will end all games in progress and go back to the home screen. I tried this on BBQ at the show because somebody left a game in progress and it reset the game, but it achieved the same result.
Flynn is probably right though, Nick, me, dozens of tournament players at another location, and a ton of people at the show all don't know what weak crappy flippers feel like.

Good to know - thanks !

#945 23 days ago

Oh lord... I would like to see more footage of the game and the issues. But there is just the normal meh meh meh...

Here is at least a bit of new stuff :

The left ramp shot is working pretty well in this video, was this the one everybody talked ? The right was not hit a single time.

I also don't know if the power network overseas is that different but my hot wheels and houdini (thats full upgraded with the good power supply, cap kit...) are not having issues with the flippers at all.
The left flipper on houdini was a bit sticky last league night, so i put in some new mechanics and had to reduce the settings three points down afterwards. I completly underestimated how fast the flipper mechanics getting bad in a multiball heavy game like houdini. Hot Wheels flipper settings are reduced since getting it fresh out of the box. Also my best friends GTF has no issues with the flippers.

But there are guys that even feel differences between condom brands. I never was one of those... So It's just my opinion.

#946 23 days ago
Quoted from JagDaniels:

Oh lord... I would like to see more footage of the game and the issues. But there is just the normal meh meh meh...

The left ramp shot is working pretty well in this video, was this the one everybody talked ? The right was not hit a single time.
I also don't know if the power network overseas is that different but my hot wheels and houdini (thats full upgraded with the good power supply, cap kit...) are not having issues with the flippers at all.
The left flipper on houdini was a bit sticky last league night, so i put in some new mechanics and had to reduce the settings three points down afterwards. I completly underestimated how fast the flipper mechanics getting bad in a multiball heavy game like houdini. Hot Wheels flipper settings are reduced since getting it fresh out of the box. Also my best friends GTF has no issues with the flippers.
But there are guys that even feel differences between condom brands. I never was one of those... So It's just my opinion.

Just seems there's so little going on in the game overall. Nothing stands out save the ridiculous meat footage, which certainly does. The guy hit the ramp a bunch of times in a row but it didn't appear exciting. Otherwise, wide open middle of the playfield with em like orbits to a set of top lanes above a bumper cluster. Most of the layout would have felt basic several decades ago.

#947 23 days ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Just seems there's so little going on in the game overall. Nothing stands out save the ridiculous meat footage, which certainly does. The guy hit the ramp a bunch of times in a row but it didn't appear exciting. Otherwise, wide open middle of the playfield with em like orbits to a set of top lanes above a bumper cluster. Most of the layout would have felt basic several decades ago.

Welcome to the land of AP mediocrity...

The boys in the trenches continue to have nothing to write home about... if I had any hope of resurrecting this title, I would go back to the code jockeys and say "whip it up boys and girls, this plays like a dog on Ritalin, so the guy or girl who ratchets up the excitement gets to keep their job..."

Would seem to me they need to lean into the Hot Rods more, which means more artwork that doesn't look like it came from a web page graphics collection from 1991 and has some better really flashy looking animations, some better music, better callouts and...

Ah, shit , it just needs "better" in all departments...

I'm calling it. They need to pivot and do a re-theme and do Barry O's Food Space Truck Shuttle Adventure staring Pinbot...

Or just give up trying..

#948 23 days ago

I played at MGC. One game, the right flipper was so weak it went up the ramp and got stuck on the flipper trying to come back. They said the coil must be cooked when i told them. Second game next to it was a little better. It didn't seem to bring anything to the table to make me interested in purchasing or playing one for money. I might give it a whirl in an arcade that is on freeplay. They don't seem to care enough to make a game worthwhile or theme. GTF could have been great, but so many failures it burned itself.

#949 23 days ago
Quoted from JagDaniels:

Remember AP has a new boardset too. I'm not sure if they said BBQ uses the new boardset or not? I would expect so...

#950 23 days ago
Quoted from JagDaniels:

That video makes me want to play it, I doubt I'll have a chance to outisde of pinball show though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Lewiston, ME
$ 8,495.00
$ 8,495.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 8,495.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 6,995.00
There are 1,157 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/barry-o-s-barbecue-challenge-hype/page/19?hl=alex_m and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.