• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8994 (resized).jpeg
Untitled (resized).png
#1 7 months ago

Ok, so I've got a 1987 Bally Party Animal.

The sound is all messed up. You get almost no sounds during gameplay (just what sounds like pop bumper noise), with no speech, music, or anything else besides the short jingle the game plays when you turn the game on or start a game.

I put a brand new sound board in. I swapped in another tested working MPU board (also from a Party Animal, so different chips as well) and the issue is exactly the same. I also have another working Party Animal power board I can swap in, but doubt that's gonna fix it.

I am completely unfamiliar with this system of game, and I'm also completely unfamiliar with a sound issue like this (some play, most don't) in any type of pinball that wasn't fixed with a board swap/new boards.

So...are talking connectors here? If so, where would I be looking?

#2 7 months ago

You wouldn't be the first person with a 6803 system that has corrupted option settings that cause no sound, some sounds, etc.

'BASIC OPTIONS VALUES' SOUND MODE should be '3'.
'FEATURE OPTIONS' SOUNDS SET OPTIONS should be '1'.

To save your sanity, you might want to get your keypad replaced if it is factory original. The factory original keypad makes navigating and setting options... very difficult.

I hope it is this simple!

#3 7 months ago
Quoted from PinRetail:

You wouldn't be the first person with a 6803 system that has corrupted option settings that cause no sound, some sounds, etc.
'BASIC OPTIONS VALUES' SOUND MODE should be '3'.
'FEATURE OPTIONS' SOUNDS SET OPTIONS should be '1'.
To save your sanity, you might want to get your keypad replaced if it is factory original. The factory original keypad makes navigating and setting options... very difficult.
I hope it is this simple!

Thanks, I'll try that.

But...two different MPUs? WIth two different sets of chips? And two different sound boards? Wouldn't it be odd that this issue remains? We'll see!

My keypad works ok, I'm sticking with it!

#4 7 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Thanks, I'll try that.
But...two different MPUs? WIth two different sets of chips? And two different sound boards? Wouldn't it be odd that this issue remains? We'll see!
My keypad works ok, I'm sticking with it!

Levi, lift up the harness entering the backbox from the cabinet and cable tie it up so that he weight of the harness is not pulling on the plugs on the bottom edge of the CPU board. These bottom CPU connectors are for switch, sound and display data. Then, splay each outer pin of each bottom edge connector outward to better grab the plug. I can't tell you how many times a customer has wanted to send a 6803 sound board in for repair but after doing this, their sound issues went away. It may not solve your issue but it does for many customers.

Clive

#5 7 months ago
Quoted from Cauldron:

Levi, lift up the harness entering the backbox from the cabinet and cable tie it up so that he weight of the harness is not pulling on the plugs on the bottom edge of the CPU board. These bottom CPU connectors are for switch, sound and display data. Then, splay each outer pin of each bottom edge connector outward to better grab the plug. I can't tell you how many times a customer has wanted to send a 6803 sound board in for repair but after doing this, their sound issues went away. It may not solve your issue but it does for many customers.
Clive

Was hoping you’d chime in. I will check that.

The sound worked before I folded it up and moved it, so this could be an issue.

#6 7 months ago

Double check the sound options first, it is usually that. The RAM corrupt in a in predicatble a way that does not work.

I know for for sure my special force that tests a lot of 6803 boards is usually dead silent on first boot with not formatted RAM. I usually just go do a restore factory settings and then it works.

but also beware! restore factory settings is broken in at least some games. It will not restore all registers back. I believe it is the 7 segment display games like eight ball champ. Double check the sound settings after doing a restore factory settings if still not working.

So many weird issues are caused by corrupted RAM. No dip switch settings, everything is done through adjustments. When the sound option audit/register has valid options of 01, 02, or 03. If you get a 3E or some other out of bounds value odd things may happen or just be silent. Same thing goes with balls per game, current credit count, probably coin settings. I recommend people take the manual and step through all the registers. There are even some goofy ones like turn off the sling shots.

Too bad 6803 doesnt do a RAM check like the WMS games of the same era did. One of the manuals hints at this happens, but it doesn't seem to restore bad obviously audits so I think the manual is wrong.
Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

#7 7 months ago
Quoted from Cauldron:

Clive

Had a similar issue with intermittent sound cut out on mine on mine and this was the fix. I wish Bally had given an extra 18" on the harness

#8 7 months ago

Here’s what Clay had to say about this, after scolding me for my drastic measures! (Swapping boards?! Er ok)

Squares with what a couple of you had said.

IMG_8994 (resized).jpegIMG_8994 (resized).jpeg
#9 7 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Here’s what Clay had to say about this, after scolding me for my drastic measures! (Swapping boards?! Er ok)
Squares with what a couple of you had said. [quoted image]

Pin retail was on the right track but this was the complete solution

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-6803-sound-issue-most-sounds-don-t-play and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.