Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bacon (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_9229 (resized).JPG
    20190129_064237 (resized).jpg
    20190129_063905 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4324 (resized).JPG
    esferttyjkh (resized).jpg
    sdghtfty56y54 (resized).jpg
    A09F08DC-A9F4-4094-939A-3776B7D56F0E (resized).jpeg
    giphy.gif
    4DAED6F5-61EF-47E7-B580-654ED19A838B (resized).jpeg
    CF1DC8D5-1FC9-43EA-8931-561EDCF76553 (resized).jpeg
    C2AC0D33-D194-4129-8DB0-2B372C74BD6D (resized).jpeg

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 4 years ago

I just got excited like Odom showed up...but nope

#52 4 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

I just got excited like Odom showed up...but nope

Biding his time.

He shall return.

3 months later
    #53 4 years ago

Avocados are yummy

#54 4 years ago

I could live off the fruit of the avocado tree.

#55 4 years ago

I'm growing a couple of Haas avocado trees.

IMG_9229 (resized).JPGIMG_9229 (resized).JPG
    #56 4 years ago

Avocados are delicious, but what IS gross about them is when you get one with that weird fibrous texture inside, where it's hard to cut, harder to pry open, and impossible to eat. Yecch.

Postscript: Chipotle's guacamole is the best!! Discuss.

#57 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jjsmooth:

He's just trying to lure someone back...

This was my thought exactly, hopefully it works.....

#58 4 years ago

I agree...

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #59 4 years ago

The best avocados are the thin skinned ones off my old fuerte or bacon tree. I haven't figured out which it is because they are both similar but the fruit is very moist and tasty.

I also planted hass, pinkerton, reed, and mexicola about 10 yeas ago which are all very tasty too. The mexicolas are small purple fruit when ripe, but are the first ready and super good. Hass has become the grocery store standard but are average in taste and texture compared to all the others.

The super hot spell last summer and about 5 years ago were very hard on all the trees which left branches burnt and dropped most of the fruit, but all but my old tree are making a comeback now. They don't live forever but I am hoping the big tree has a few years left in it. It will be a very sad day when it's gone. Probably was planted in the 1950s. It's churned out a lot of avocados. Big tasty ones.

bacon (resized).jpgbacon (resized).jpg

#60 4 years ago
    Quoted from onemoresean:

I'm growing a couple of Haas avocado trees.

If you are growing from a seed, you won't know exactly what it will be, but in most cases it is sure to be good and perhaps better than the tree it came off of.

Only if it was grafted or cloned or pollinated from the same kind of tree is it guaranteed to be that kind.

Quoted from jibmums:

what IS gross about them is when you get one with that weird fibrous texture inside, where it's hard to cut, harder to pry open, and impossible to eat. Yecch.

I had a holiday variety that was like that especially if they hung too long. They are making a root system inside I believe. Holiday is a hybrid based on a reed and make huge fruit but were designed to take up little space in the yard. Between the fibrous fruit and the tree could not hold itself up, I dug it up and got rid of it. None of the others I have ever get like that.

#61 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

If you are growing from a seed, you won't know exactly what it will be, but in most cases it is sure to be good and perhaps better than the tree it came off of.

These were grown from a seed, and are around six months old.
    They are growing very slowly.

#62 4 years ago

They do take a long time from seed, longer to actually fruit. After six months you might want to get them in a bigger pot.

All the trees sold at nurseries and most fruit trees in general start as a branch off a big tree grafted to a root stock and they tend to produce fruit much faster. Same fruit as the mother tree.

The ones I bought in 15 gallon buckets had fruit the next year or so. The 5 gallon bucket trees take a bit longer. Sometimes they already have fruit hanging on them when you buy them.

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avocados-are-disgusting/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.