• Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC02594.JPG
DSC02544.JPG
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

Rare Hero must not have seen this thread yet. He will tell ya about Avatar.

What's up.

It's fun and I like it.

That's just like...my opinion...man.

#48 11 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

Or will it alwys be a turd in your opinion? (If so, why?)

It's always "it looks cheap" or "you'll lose money on it"....or they hate the movie. Never an actual opinion about the gameplay, music/sound, rules, etc.

Honestly it was the same thing w/ Ironman, until people PLAYED it. Avatar is just about equal to IM, give or take a few things on each. IM has another ramp, and a bit more "fight" ...Avatar has a few more satisfying shots (IMO, the Link Lock & Amp "kill" target) & slightly better/deeper code. They have relatively identical stacking strategy & path toward wizard mode.

Quoted from Banker:

Use LEDs , which will change 100 k the visual appeal. Fun to play.

I always liked my Avatar LE, but after LEDing it recently - wow...it does make it look a billion times better - the cool white look really suits the blue art & sci-fi theme. I even played w/ some color LED flashers by the AMP suit - cool white in the insert in front of it, blue in the right foot insert, purple in the left foot insert...makes for a crazy light show when you're attacking it!

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I played alot of Avatar when it came out. It was in NYC League play every week. Never thought it looked or felt cheap. Seemed sturdier than IM for example.

I don't think the compaint is about sturdiness, it's about the fact that it has off-the-shelf action toys. No saucers or scoops. No VUKs. It's very simplistic in terms of features. Same as IM, and honestly - same as Tron. I think during that stretch of low-budgets, Borg found a way to make very fun games with very little. Some people will always hold the "Stern's cheap" resentment against some games. Ironman and Tron have proven that fast play, addicting rules, and hot sound can make you forget all of that.

I think the reason Avatar doesn't have "Tron or IM level" demand is due to the single ramp & more pinheads like the IM/Tron themes than Avatar. For me, the game has more longterm appeal than IM. I LOOOOVED IM - but I had both in my gameroom...and at a certain point I just had no desire to play IM anymore. I found myself still playing Avatar, though....it's just those *slightly* better rules. Perhaps the LE factor had something to do with it, too ...I figured if I ever really wanted an IM again, there are plenty out there. I haven't missed it a bit, though...I've got Tron & Av for my "asskickers" and plenty of 2-ramp fan type combo games (ACDC, Spidey)

#64 11 years ago
Quoted from tonymiddendorf:

The LED job is all cheapo 1-led ablaze bulbs.

I used Ablaze white Ghostbusters for the white "ladder" inserts, yellows and greens. I used CT 2-LED Premium cool whites for the rest ...oh, but CT 2-LED Pink for Eywa & Valkyrie. Color changer under Unobtanium. Looks FANTASTIC. Cool white frosteds for GI (except 2 Retro Blues under the Link Pod to match the blue incandescents from the factory). A mix of flashers under the AMP suit looks really cool...Pinball Life (Ablaze?) white under the AMP insert, blue on one foot insert, purple on the other foot insert.

Enjoy!

#66 11 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

I think Avatar re-skinned with a much better theme would have been very popular.

"Better" is subjective. Avatar is the highest grossing film ever made...so - I think it's safe to say that it's a popular theme.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

5,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Monrovia, MD
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

4,799 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Port Saint Lucie, FL
4,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sharonville, OH
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avatar-worth-it?tu=rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.