• Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC02594.JPG
DSC02544.JPG
image.jpg

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 11 years ago

I think I want an Avatar, maybe a BBH?

I need something to contrast LOTR, FGY & TSPP.

The only sticking point for me is that damn action figure in a cheap lame ass coffin. I have even spent time on google trying to find a replacement for it to justify buying the machine.

Still, I might get one anyway

#52 11 years ago

I enjoy my avatar and miss my BBH. one thing that should be factored in is stern games have fewer toys than yesteryear. today's LE's are built at a similar level to LOTR, IM, SM and TSPP. today's pros are "optioned" like an ironman lite or costco BDK. there was the 'tween years where the LE was kind of in no mans land. avatar LE, TSR LE and (IMO) tron LE don't have as many toys as today's LE's and are maybe built similar to what LOTR, TSPP and SM were. it's my opinion that if SM was issues today you would have the SM that we know and love issued as an LE and a watered down version would be the pro. on the other hand the loaded games from a few years ago hold their value much better than the pros of today.

#53 11 years ago

I'm going to look at this game tonight. Probably going to pick it up.

#54 11 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I think I want an Avatar, maybe a BBH?
I need something to contrast LOTR, FGY & TSPP.
The only sticking point for me is that damn action figure in a cheap lame ass coffin. I have even spent time on google trying to find a replacement for it to justify buying the machine.
Still, I might get one anyway

I have a BBH as well as the avatar, it's fun for sure, company loves it. I recently took it to the fire station for our Christmas party and it got a lot of love. Can't go wrong with either.

I have a cointaker kit in my avatar and it looks incredible. Of course this game has a lot of blue, and that's the most brilliant led!

#55 11 years ago

I like avatar as well......Greg knows that means something to

#56 11 years ago
Quoted from tonymiddendorf:

You must be optimistic. It already shows as being in your collection.

#57 11 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

You must be optimistic. It already shows as being in your collection.

I was being lazy. I was already editing my collection because of the Shadow sale. BTW, my high score on MY machine was like 980 million. My high on Josh's was like 1.35 billion. (Mine had two coats of wax and the legs jacked up while Josh's has 15 second ball-save timers). What about you?

#58 11 years ago

I was being lazy. I was already editing my collection because of The Shadow sale. BTW, my high score on MY machine was like 980 million. My high on Josh's was like 1.35 billion. (Mine had two coats of wax and the legs jacked up while Josh's has 15 second ball-save timers). What about you?

I will have to look later. Wife worked all night and is sleeping so I can't turn it on. I have not reached 1B yet but it took me a while to find some parts I needed so The Battlefield is still disabled. I have spent almost all of my time lately playing SS. Getting behind on my repairs. Been working on Xenon a little and yesterday I picked up JD which is currently not functioning.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#59 11 years ago

Its just as fun as Tron to play and much better than X-Men...

#60 11 years ago

My original opinion of the game after only a dozen plays was very negative. Not to mention that I wasn't a big fan of the movie.

But after playing it more, and understanding the nuances of the rules, I find it to be a fairly satisfying control-play game. It has two major paths to follow depending on what you're going for: (1) for league/tourney competition, "chaining" between link and amp MB's (or stacking them), or (2) going for the wizard mode, which you'll typically have to accomplish in one ball unless you're crushing each mode the first or second time you play it.

And not only is the amp suit payoff shot one of the tightest in pinball -- making it very satisfying to hit -- managing the risk/reward around how/when to shoot it (due to the crazy strong magnet when you miss) makes for good strategic play.

Last, while the wizard mode is not one of my favorites, and sorely lacking in the auxiliary elements (DMD, sounds, etc.), it is one of the more unique wizard modes out there. I'm not aware of another one in which you are TRYING to get the ball to drain down an outlane.

I wouldn't mind having Avatar as part of a decent size collection, but if its the only one or one of few, I'd pass.

#61 11 years ago

I've noticed the OP has already said he will pass on the Avatar, but Maybe he is still watching this thread.

CHANGE YOUR MIND AND GET IT! You wont be dissatisfied. It is fun (callouts are great...AMP SUUUUUUIT MULTIBALL!) It is easy (Banshee Ramp!) It is hard (AMP Suit Multiball Shot!) Everyone can enjoy it and I speak for myself of course, but in a room full of A titles, I end up playing Avatar more than any of the others. I will play AFM and then go to Avatar. I will play TAF and then go to Avatar. I will play MB and then go to Avatar. Always want to play Avatar before I am done. I Always enjoy it and will probably get one for myself down the road. Like the theme or not, it is a great game! Perfect for family and guests, pinhead and non-pinhead alike.

#62 11 years ago

...............and then sell it to PHPG.

#63 11 years ago

Picked up the game last night. Not sure if anyone looked at it, but the PF is a little dirty, there are 3-6 minor scratched around the cabinet, and the T-molding at the top of the head is dented from transporting without cardboard un the side rails. Other than that, real nice shape. The LED job is all cheapo 1-led ablaze bulbs.

No magnet wear, no flipper button wear, clear ramps, nice clean legs.

I'll be cleaning and doing some re-LEDing and looking for a replacement for the top t-molding. Anyone know where I can source the chrome-looking T-molding?

It's funny, that game sat on CL for a few weeks. But, as soon as people found out I bought it, I got three texts/messages from people asking if they could be first in line when it come times to sell.

#64 11 years ago

The LED job is all cheapo 1-led ablaze bulbs.

I used Ablaze white Ghostbusters for the white "ladder" inserts, yellows and greens. I used CT 2-LED Premium cool whites for the rest ...oh, but CT 2-LED Pink for Eywa & Valkyrie. Color changer under Unobtanium. Looks FANTASTIC. Cool white frosteds for GI (except 2 Retro Blues under the Link Pod to match the blue incandescents from the factory). A mix of flashers under the AMP suit looks really cool...Pinball Life (Ablaze?) white under the AMP insert, blue on one foot insert, purple on the other foot insert.

Enjoy!

#65 11 years ago

I think Avatar re-skinned with a much better theme would have been very popular. Personally, I think the lenticular backglass, low res playfield and cabinet images, and low quality playfield toys overshadows the game play, which IMHO is actually pretty decent. Stacking your multipliers, starting the multiballs, planning the ewya add a ball are all fun challenges. The modes are kinda lame, but over all I think it's fun.

As for resale, the fact that the pin has been on CL here in the twin cities for a VERY long time should tell you everything you need to know about getting your money back out of it - from one of my favorite action movies, Taken, "good luck."

#66 11 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

I think Avatar re-skinned with a much better theme would have been very popular.

"Better" is subjective. Avatar is the highest grossing film ever made...so - I think it's safe to say that it's a popular theme.

1 week later
#67 11 years ago

I'm actually the one that picked up Tony's Avatar machine. It was a long trip to OHIO.. yep.. Ohio.. but luckily I only had to travel about half that far due to a friend of his. I played a lot of other machines before deciding on an Avatar.. some that were rare and WAY out of my price range and all things considered IMO it is a great pin. I personally contributed to the movie's success.. I'd only seen a handful of movies more than once in the theater and I saw Avatar in IMAX 3D 12 times. $144 and 36 hours worth.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avatar-worth-it/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.