(Topic ID: 353217)

$2,000 Foo Fighters Topper! In or out?

By jeffgoldstein2

3 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“$2,000 Foo Fighter topper! In or out?”

• Yes 76 votes
      15%
    • No 391 votes
      79%
    • On the fence 25 votes
      5%

(492 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

520-8551-00A_-SCH.pdf (PDF preview)
    IMG_7666 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7667 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7660 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240607-192148 (resized).png
    IMG_5562.jpeg
    IMG_7066 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9068 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3145 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3106 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_1920 (resized).png
    IMG_1919 (resized).png
    IMG_7583.gif
    IMG_1855 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1856 (resized).jpeg
    There are 403 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 9.
    #351 30 days ago

I bought the topper. I paid $2000 for it. I am happy.

#352 30 days ago
    Quoted from ASAC_Schrader:

What are your other hobbies? I’d like to sell you something myself.

#353 30 days ago

Lol

#354 30 days ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

What are your other hobbies? I’d like to sell you something myself.

Porsche's. Astronomy. Photography.

#355 25 days ago

What is the extra code that comes with the topper? New mode or song? Thanks!

#356 25 days ago

No new mode exactly, all the modes are technically available to the non-topper poors. But the topper saves progress across games and players towards the Toy Time multiball mode so that makes it possible for mere mortals to ever actually see that mode. Without the topper you would have to do a lot of stuff all within one game which is a really big ask.

Topper also has informational lights to indicate which band member combos you’ve gotten. Without it it’s tough to know which ones you have and might still need (without stopping play to look at instant info screens)

#357 24 days ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I’d be in for $1,200 on this topper if there was a blow out sale for sure.

$1,200 for a topper. That will show them.

#358 24 days ago

Damn. They got you eh?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2000-foo-fighters-topper-in-or-out/page/3#post-8074832

It's a nice topper. Hope you enjoy.

#359 24 days ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

$1,200 for a topper. That will show them.

That’s the thing. We ALL agree that official toppers have been overpriced since they launched at $500…but we were mostly cool with playing along to an extent. Stern kept boiling the frog and perhaps they’ve finally reached the ceiling. Even though this topper is made of ~$200 in parts, I think most of us would have still bit at $1200-1500.

#360 24 days ago

Way to go!! Taking it to the man!! You're showing everyone here that regardless of what any normal persona says, it's worth it!!

#361 24 days ago

Wait for $1,000 shooter rods coming soon from Stern or maybe $500 art blades!!!! Not off the table!

#362 24 days ago

People keep buying it. Higher prices. Topper insanity. Etc.

Or do they?

All you gotta do is stop depleting your savings accounts.

#363 24 days ago
    Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

Wait for $1,000 shooter rods coming soon from Stern or maybe $500 art blades!!!! Not off the table!

Art blades are basically 500 now. Starting with John wick every game will probably have expression lights, available all models. I mean you're not gonna not get them!

#364 24 days ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

That’s the thing. We ALL agree that official toppers have been overpriced since they launched at $500…but we were mostly cool with playing along to an extent. Stern kept boiling the frog and perhaps they’ve finally reached the ceiling. Even though this topper is made of ~$200 in parts, I think most of us would have still bit at $1200-1500.

Yes, I totally agree with this. I love toppers and its hard to pass on a manufacturer topper that adds code to your machine….but $2,000 is a lot of scratch…that is 1/4th of the way to a (used) premium Stern machine and 1/5th the way to a NIB one.

Stern has boiled the frog…and though that Foo topper looks great, I’ll be shopping for an after market cheaper alternative…if there was something in the topper code that was can’t miss I guess that would a consideration, but sounds like there is not.

The best toppers in pinball have mechanical moving parts like AFM LE and Godfather’s factory topper (Godfather’s topper with the machine gun is hell of amazing).

#365 24 days ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

but $2,000 is a lot of scratch…that is 1/4th of the way to a (used) premium Stern machine and 1/5th the way to a NIB one. .

I think stern would rather you first spend your money on machines if you've got space for it. There is ton of inventory in the channel they need cleared, and machines grow the hobby and toppers don't.

But a lot of people don't have room for more machines. Stern still wants your money. Enter $2000 topper.

#366 24 days ago

The topper doesn't even move... does it? Stern has so much overhead.. a giant new warehouse and hundreds of employees, and because of that they need to charge 2000 for a topper that cost maybe a couple hundred dollars to make.

#367 23 days ago
    Quoted from Thor_Odinson:

The topper doesn't even move... does it?

Head moves side to side

#368 23 days ago

My "Rush" topper I love (still needs updated to be what it should /could be)- then seeing what the "Cactus Canyon" topper does - actual interaction shooting the perps in the windows, Bart moving his arms, etc - I think it's one of the best - so is this one worth it?

Just looking as this may be the next game in the line up.

#369 23 days ago
    Quoted from Sorokyl:

I think stern would rather you first spend your money on machines if you've got space for it. There is ton of inventory in the channel they need cleared, and machines grow the hobby and toppers don't.
    But a lot of people don't have room for more machines. Stern still wants your money. Enter $2000 topper.

You make a great point here. Stern is making these for people that are out of room but still have disposable income for pinball. All the same, they should make them a bit more engaging for the money and they would sell more. See the AFM, Labrenth, Black Knight, and Godfather topppers.

Stern also needs to release them quicker. They would sell way more toppers when the NIB LE buzz is high with owners.

#370 23 days ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

You make a great point here. Stern is making these for people that are out of room but still have disposable income for pinball. All the same, they should make them a bit more engaging for the money and they would sell more. See the AFM, Labrenth, Black Knight, and Godfather topppers.
    Stern also needs to release them quicker. They would sell way more toppers when the NIB LE buzz is high with owners.

Conspiracy theory here, but I think they are slow to release these things intentionally. Helps them fill in production gaps and keeps money in the sales funnel. ‘Parts availability’ is losing steam as a viable excuse in pretty much every corner of our slowing economy. Although, there are a lot of layoffs happening now…

#371 22 days ago
    Quoted from MasterBlaster:

Conspiracy theory here, but I think they are slow to release these things intentionally. Helps them fill in production gaps and keeps money in the sales funnel. ‘Parts availability’ is losing steam as a viable excuse in pretty much every corner of our slowing economy. Although, there are a lot of layoffs happening now…

Though I certainly see how it could seem that way I just can’t believe they would walk away from so many sales for scheduling reasons. It is just so much easier to sell an add on during the honey moon period.

Stern could come out with tier’d toppers. Have one basic one with no moving parts (along the lines of Godzilla) but all the code at $1,000 and then have a stepped up totally different one with moving mechanisms that does cool things like integrating with the knocker at $2,000. Having two models would help sell both toppers.

I think Stern should do toppers for some of their older games too. Why not come out with a Tron, Star Trek, and Iron Man topper?

#372 22 days ago
    Quoted from Thor_Odinson:

The topper doesn't even move... does it? Stern has so much overhead.. a giant new warehouse and hundreds of employees, and because of that they need to charge 2000 for a topper that cost maybe a couple hundred dollars to make.

The bom is less than $100 for sure.

Quoted from TigerLaw:

Though I certainly see how it could seem that way I just can’t believe they would walk away from so many sales for scheduling reasons. It is just so much easier to sell an add on during the honey moon period.
    Stern could come out with tier’d toppers. Have one basic one with no moving parts (along the lines of Godzilla) but all the code at $1,000 and then have a stepped up totally different one with moving mechanisms that does cool things like integrating with the knocker at $2,000. Having two models would help sell both toppers.
    I think Stern should do toppers for some of their older games too. Why not come out with a Tron, Star Trek, and Iron Man topper?

Stern keeps showing us they do not want to do sculpted things in their pinball machines..their sculpts are usually horrific.

I *wish* they would come out with their normal flat plastic bullshit topper for 500-750, but right away on game launch.. and sell plenty of extra node boards the node board is what a couple hundred bucks? Mod makers could release cool sculpted toppers within months of games release that has full functionality for 1-2k

#373 22 days ago

Some may say toppers are a jovial way to show wealth and opulence - replacing the ever popular Bust. When I would stroll around the social gatherings I host in my pompously tailored sport coat, I saw people looking at them and whispering amongst each-other, and pointing to me - this gave me maximum pleasure.
    Later on I would learn that they thought I was a creep for having additional plastic and figures on the head of my beloved machines, and to add insult to injury they were only attending my gatherings to eat the delightful appetizers and guzzle the signature cocktails. Ultimately not one guest appreciated the finely lit LED plastics and figurines I had so handsomely paid for and put on display for them. Well, I did learn a valuable lesson in all of this and have adjusted course by putting 4 Raw Thrills NBA Superstar machines covering each of the main windows in my 800 sq ft apartment.

#374 22 days ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I would think purely from an injection plastic stand point it’s based on over sea factories and production volume. Re tooling a line in China to make say 200 little bits vs a toy company order and cost plays a factor. That being said stern is nuts and that topper is less high tech then a teddy ruxpin or even a generic 4 channel rc like a Traxxas for 250 bucks lol they cater to the crowd that checks the box for the 500 dollar cashmere floor mats lol

#375 21 days ago

I bought my Foo topper from another Pinsider who sold his game for $1800 shipped. Looks amazing and works perfectly, I have no regrets with this one. It’s very interactive with the game and the head turns and talks. The band member combo lights are also helpful and progress carries over between games. This one is built solid and contains a lot of LEDs, plastics and whatever else they crammed in it. It’s not a cheap static topper like the Maiden Aces High topper right next to it - there’s no comparison.

I also got my Black Knight LE topper NIB from another Pinsider for $1200 shipped. If you watch the Pinside classifieds, you can save a bundle vs. paying Stern full price plus taxes and shipping. Same approach applies to pinball machines…imagine that! It will be interesting to see if these toppers hold their value over time.

My Batman 66 topper is a clone/fake of the LE topper, but cost me about half of what the real thing would if I could find one. No regrets buying any of the toppers, they are eye candy and can be resold easily if one needs the cash.

IMG_3106 (resized).jpegIMG_3106 (resized).jpegIMG_3145 (resized).jpegIMG_3145 (resized).jpegIMG_9068 (resized).jpegIMG_9068 (resized).jpeg

IMG_7066 (resized).jpegIMG_7066 (resized).jpeg
    #376 19 days ago
    Quoted from darkryder:

I also got my Black Knight LE topper NIB from another Pinsider for $1200 shipped. If you watch the Pinside classifieds, you can save a bundle vs. paying Stern full price plus taxes and shipping. Same approach applies to pinball machines…imagine that! It will be interesting to see if these toppers hold their value over time.

Honestly, I’d never thought about the preowned market on toppers but at these price points that is the way to go. If I could find the Foo topper at a solar price point to your BK topper I’d be in. It does look great I your photo!

Quoted from gjm7777:

Some may say toppers are a jovial way to show wealth and opulence - replacing the ever popular Bust. When I would stroll around the social gatherings I host in my pompously tailored sport coat, I saw people looking at them and whispering amongst each-other, and pointing to me - this gave me maximum pleasure.
    Later on I would learn that they thought I was a creep for having additional plastic and figures on the head of my beloved machines, and to add insult to injury they were only attending my gatherings to eat the delightful appetizers and guzzle the signature cocktails. Ultimately not one guest appreciated the finely lit LED plastics and figurines I had so handsomely paid for and put on display for them. Well, I did learn a valuable lesson in all of this and have adjusted course by putting 4 Raw Thrills NBA Superstar machines covering each of the main windows in my 800 sq ft apartment.

This post was awesome but hits too close to home!!!!

#377 19 days ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Honestly, I’d never thought about the preowned market on toppers but at these price points that is the way to go.

I just bought a used JP topper. Why not save a few bucks!

IMG_5562.jpegIMG_5562.jpeg
    #378 18 days ago

Seems like a good deal.

Screenshot_20240607-192148 (resized).pngScreenshot_20240607-192148 (resized).png
    #379 17 days ago

Expensive

#380 17 days ago

never seen one sale anywhere near that, that guy picked the wrong week to start sniffing glue.

2 weeks later
    #381 3 days ago

Can someone please grab me a pic and part number for the left and right led pcb that lights the collected characters at the front of topper. They are oblong have 3 less each can be seen here at front of image

IMG_7660 (resized).jpegIMG_7660 (resized).jpeg
    #382 3 days ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

Seems like a good deal.
    [quoted image]

Its a pretty rare topper, and go for way over retail (I think it was $500). When I sold my TWD the guy didn't want the topper. I sold mine for like $1500 .... $3K is a crazy number on that topper

#383 2 days ago

Did these come with install packet like the expression lights did just curious if there is a parts breakdown and schematic like expression

#384 2 days ago

No, toppers don't come with a parts breakdown and schematic as far as I have seen. Just install and packaging diagrams.

#385 2 days ago

These go on sale yet?

#386 2 days ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

These go on sale yet?

50% off will get me interested!

#387 2 days ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

These go on sale yet?</blo

That’s still too much for that topper! $600 is the magic number.

#388 2 days ago
    Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

That’s still too much for that topper! $600 is the magic number.

I’m in at that number !
    And I’d bet Stern would still turn a profit on them at that price .

#389 35 hours ago
    Quoted from NevadaNutJob:

I’m in at that number !
    And I’d bet Stern would still turn a profit on them at that price .

They aren't interested in just making a profit, that was their approach back when BKSOR was a $499.99 topper. Now it is a $1499 topper because used toppers for some games were selling for crazy money on the secondary market. Just like with their LE pricing strategy, Stern wants to make extra juicy profit themselves rather than scalpers/flippers/customers.

Personally I would buy one at $1499 because I think that is "fair" for what the Foo topper offers in comparison to BKSOR, Godzilla, etc., but can't justify $2k and I am pretty good at convincing myself to spend money on stupid crap.

I don't think these have been selling well since the initial rush. They seem to be in stock everywhere. Cool topper, shitty price.

#390 31 hours ago

The only reason toppers sell for stupid money - new or used - is because of the artificial scarcity . I understand what they’re doing - “ why build 2000 widgets to
    make X when we can just build 200 and make the same X by gouging those buyers ? “ . I just think Stern would have done better in the long run to protect their name and image and promote customer loyalty by not gouging us on a $50 worth of parts topper . I vote with my dollars and right now I choose to not buy overpriced toppers or pinball machines from them . I’m ok if I’m the only one who feels this way , but I doubt that I am .

#391 30 hours ago

The only reason toppers sell for stupid money - new or used - is because of the artificial scarcity . I understand what they’re doing - “ why build 2000 widgets to
    make X when we can just build 200 and make the same X by gouging those buyers ? “ . I just think Stern would have done better in the long run to protect their name and image and promote customer loyalty by not gouging us on a $50 worth of parts topper .

While I think the price is too high I am not outraged at it. I don't think a business that sells toys and toys that go on top of toys have some social responsibility to bring them cheaply to the unwashed pinball masses. Stern is a for profit business, its only goal is to create as much profit as possible.

I think in this case they overshot what most enthusiasts are willing to pay, but the only way to know for sure will be if the price starts dropping. Could be we are all in here yelling at the sky while the sales numbers on Foo toppers have met or exceeded expectations.

#392 27 hours ago

Paul - all true . I just see it as greed that I choose not to support . They have no responsibility to put out affordable products . For me that just means I won’t buy it . I’m sure they don’t care yet , but as the market continues to saturate , who knows ?

#393 26 hours ago

make X when we can just build 200 and make the same X by gouging those buyers ? “ . I just think Stern would have done better in the long run to protect their name and image and promote customer loyalty by not gouging us on a $50 worth of parts topper . I vote with my dollars and right now I choose to not buy overpriced toppers or pinball machines from them . I’m ok if I’m the only one who feels this way , but I doubt that I am .

I think there was a middle ground where we were somewhat OK with the gouging. We’d bitch, but still buckle & buy. I woulda bitched ‘n bought at $1500…I suspect many others would too. At $2k, it’s not about the money, it’s that that specific number just feels like Stern saying “we know you’re a weak ass bitch & will pay anything.” I’m saying “nah” on principle.

#394 26 hours ago

How in the f@*k is a pinball topper worth 4 times more than a PS5 (with disc drive), Meta Quest 3 VR, or 4k 65” Samsung or LG HDTV?

#395 26 hours ago
    Quoted from Fatsquatch:

How in the f@*k is a pinball topper worth 4 times more than a PS5 (with disc drive), Meta Quest 3 VR, or 4k 65” Samsung or LG HDTV?

Economy of scale plays a big role. Stern toppers sells maybe a few hundred if you are lucky. They have to be designed and engineered and are assembled by hand by working Americans. All the other products you listed are mass produced and sell in the millions and manufactured in areas of the world with cheap labor.

#396 26 hours ago

Economy of scale plays a big role. Stern toppers sells maybe a few hundred if you are lucky. They have to be designed and engineered and are assembled by hand by working Americans. All the other products you listed are mass produced and sell in the million and manufactured in areas of the world with cheap labor.

Yeah, I get that, but $2k? C’mon…

(How was that FANTASTIC Black Knight topper able to be produced and sold for a quarter of the cost?)

#397 26 hours ago
    Quoted from Fatsquatch:

(How was that FANTASTIC Black Knight topper able to be produced and sold for a quarter of the cost?)

Can't argue with that

#398 25 hours ago
    Quoted from clg:

I’m in for one of these of $999. If there is a Black Friday sale like that, I’ll be all over it.

#399 25 hours ago

LED splitter and the spi node which is used with expression are used in the topper fwiw plus three custom led pcba and several double led pcb fwiw

520-8551-00A_-SCH.pdf520-8551-00A_-SCH.pdfIMG_7666 (resized).jpegIMG_7666 (resized).jpegIMG_7667 (resized).jpegIMG_7667 (resized).jpeg
    #400 23 hours ago

After listening to a recent LoserKid podcast recently and after reading where this discussion has been going, ...for what it's worth, I thought some here may be interested in hearing an explaination directly from Stern (embedded in the following 15 minute discussion snippet) on why the current Stern Pin and Topper pricing is what it is.

Very interesting. So many factors go in to setting the pin and topper pricing from "X" to politics.

You'll have to manually skip to time point 58:40 and listen through 1:12:00 where you can hear for yourself pretty much what's what from Stern's point of view on why their pricing is what it is right now.

https://m.soundcloud.com/loserkidpinballpodcast/ep-137-gomez-lots-of-gomez

There are 403 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2000-foo-fighters-topper-in-or-out/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.