Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 454 posts
  • 146 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Rarehero
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“$2,000 Foo Fighter topper! In or out?”

• Yes 78 votes
      16%
    • No 399 votes
      79%
    • On the fence 25 votes
      5%

(502 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7402 (resized).jpeg
    AgD6.gif
    IMG_9993 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9992 (resized).jpeg
    520-8551-00A_-SCH.pdf (PDF preview)
    IMG_7666 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7667 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7660 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240607-192148 (resized).png
    IMG_5562.jpeg
    IMG_7066 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9068 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3145 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3106 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_1920 (resized).png
    There are 454 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 10.
    #101 4 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

That pinball shit is too expensive? Hot takes everyone! What would you do without him.

I hit a sore spot for you.

#102 4 months ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

So are all the 'it's my money and I'll spend it how I want' people finally starting to see the error of their ways?

Not me. But the tide has to be turning right?

Some people will just buy the topper instead of the pin.

If Levi ever drops $2k on a topper then I might say there is simply no limits.

#103 4 months ago
    Quoted from Yesh23:

He was wrong, it was originally $449 when it came out.

IMG_3055 (resized).pngIMG_3055 (resized).png

IMG_3057 (resized).pngIMG_3057 (resized).pngIMG_3059 (resized).pngIMG_3059 (resized).png

Even the mando LCD topper is cheaper than this new Foo topper.

IMG_3060 (resized).pngIMG_3060 (resized).png
    #104 4 months ago

I thought EHOH topper was a bit high at $999, but that seems like a deal, but not a deal like the BKSOR topper at $449 that I also bought when I had both games.

#105 4 months ago

Really disappointed with how it looks and 2k on top of it? No way. Not a foo owner but I love toppers.

#106 4 months ago

All Stern needs to do is sell a $3,000 Jaws topper. Then we will likely be saying well $2,000 sounds like a steal deal for a Foo Fighters topper!

#107 4 months ago
    Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

I hit a sore spot for you.

Oh totally. Anytime someone says they've heard a good point on a podcast and it's something we talk aboot all day everyday on Pinside it's a trigger! Give Pinside it's due

#108 4 months ago

Price aside ,
    That topper is silly and tacky

#109 4 months ago

All Stern needs to do is sell a $3,000 Jaws topper. Then we will likely be saying well $2,000 sounds like a steal deal for a Foo Fighters topper!

Team Elwin has yet to figure out toppers. I expect it to be another lame effort for $1k

#110 4 months ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

Price aside ,
    That topper is silly and tacky

Well to be fair, think it’s supposed to match the games artwork. I don’t know much about Foobots

#111 4 months ago
    Quoted from apessino:

The woman in the video is Elizabeth Gieske - Stern programmer and badass player who was most recently part of the Jaws development team. If she wears gloves to play then maybe I should wear gloves too, because she kicks much butt at it.

I would only wear gloves playing pinball if...

A) Medical Reasons
    B) You want to look dumb

#112 4 months ago

I don’t think a $3000 jaws topper is gonna fly. Unless it eats the ball of course.

#113 4 months ago
    Quoted from jamieflowers:

I bought it. Is it worth 2000...nope. Its just money, but it sure looks cool on my overpriced toy.

It's just money. Haha
    Careful the world can be Cruel and struggle is real.
    We are extremely blessed to be able to afford what the less fortunate cannot. That goes for all things.
    If I told my none pinball people that I spent 2k for a plastic pinball topper, they would laugh there asses off and probably question my intelligence. Lol

#114 4 months ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

I don’t think a $3000 jaws topper is gonna fly. Unless it eats the ball of course.

I agree! My statement was more intended as a joke! But hey who knows how far Stern will continue to press their luck.

#115 4 months ago
    Quoted from Sorokyl:

I bought this..I passed on gz topper at 1000 (actually got one and flipped it to someone on eBay for 1500 once I confirmed in person it did indeed suck)
    Compared to the shit $1k toppers they've released lately, think the FF topper is cool enough that I want it, and I have 2k to put on it. It may lose some value over time but it's not like my 2k is disappearing. I'm ok possibly losing a few hundred over the years. I doubt it drops more than that.
    The argument that it is a big chunk of another pin is not relevant to me. I'll run out of (wife approved) space before I run out of money. So if I want to spend money on pinball, it makes sense to put it into the games I have. I suspect a lot of people are in the same spot. I want my pins to be the best example of the title I can make them.

How’s the Mando topper at 2k holding up? I see them go in the 1300 range now

#116 4 months ago

As it goes, Stern will keep charging more and more until the market says "Nope". As it stands, this will still likely sell out, so in Stern's mind, $2k is fair game.

#117 4 months ago

the foo topper looks cool and like how it shows the band members collected as can't see that on the playfield but the price - over here in Australia I dare say it will be $3250AUD at a guess which is 1/4 of a Pro game

#118 4 months ago

I've been on the fence all day.
    I am a topper whore.
    I buy them all.
    I bought a Mando topper.
    But now I ask myself why. Why do I do this?
    Sooooooooo I think I am now out! Out of ALL accessories.
    Stern, you flew too close to the sun and chased me away.
    Also, given what the market is doing I am no longer a NIB buyer. Used for me again.
    All these crazy price increases are going to burn them hardcore. It might take a couple years but it's going to burn.

#119 4 months ago

I still think Stern could make much more money by offering a fair price and selling 10X the toppers.

#120 4 months ago
    Quoted from Cobray:

I still think Stern could make much more money by offering a fair price and selling 10X the toppers.

Too much work & manpower maybe?

#121 4 months ago

I just don't get it. I don't look at the topper when I am playing at all. The first time I see a topper, I say, cool. But after seeing it for the 5th time, I ignore it. E.g. Fish Tales and Whitewater toppers are cool, but now, I ignore them and don't even look at them any more.

I would pay $500 for this topper.

(Although, I hate to admit, I have a weakness for the BKSOR topper!)

#122 4 months ago
    Quoted from kevmad:

I just don't get it. I don't look at the topper when I am playing at all. The first time I see a topper, I say, cool. But after seeing it for the 5th time, I ignore it. E.g. Fish Tales and Whitewater toppers are cool, but now, I ignore them and don't even look at them any more.

The Scooby topper is a great example. So much going on "up there" but I never see it.

#123 4 months ago
    Quoted from Cobray:

The ultimate dilemma.

Sell 1000 units at $200

vs

Sell 100 units at $2000

Each makes the same money, but one costs WAY less.

#124 4 months ago

I like it, but it’s overpriced for sure. It actually feels like a reskin of the black knight topper and probably the reason why they just reran that.

#125 4 months ago
    Quoted from John_I:

R2D2 and BK were the best two toppers ever from Stern not even considering price. Next would be Rush.

BK was probably the best, but Game of Thrones' topper was great, too. Probably my favorite Stern topper. Loved that big dragon and flapping wings.

#126 4 months ago
    Quoted from Cobray:

Or price it better to end up with similar money, maybe even 2x as much, but require a 5x more work. I'm sure opportunity cost is in this equation internally.

#127 4 months ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Or price it better to end up with similar money, maybe even 2x as much, but require a 5x more work. I'm sure opportunity cost is in this equation internally.

Pricing for this one might be a tell. We of course never truly know how many units Stern sells…but Stern knows. Except for the few who speculate or collect all toppers, it’s pretty much a one-to-one ratio of topper to pinball. Perhaps they have to sell at 2K because there just aren’t that many pins out there in ‘need’ of one.
    Although the above theory doesn’t hold too much water, because the Mando topper is the same price and they sold a gazillion Mandos. Or at least it seemed that way for a while.
    Oh and for those giving JD grief for peddling his wares, give the guy a break! His family’s gotta eat, just like your family does. As it goes with a lot of sales-driven jobs…Some days you get to be organ grinder, and some days you have to be the dancing monkey.

#128 4 months ago

Did he say it was "fully animatronic" in that video??? 1 moving part that moves from side to side?

#129 4 months ago

“ Moves from side to side “ is generous . It turns

#130 4 months ago

I like my Foo Premium. But I must say I'm very jaded as to price and quality after getting Labyrinth. I believe they( BOF) have set the bar with their topper and the price was right. If this topper was priced similarly I would consider. But for $2k I'm out

#131 4 months ago
    Quoted from John_I:

It's not $1750 nicer than the Sparky version.[quoted image]

Actually it is.

#132 4 months ago
    Quoted from kevmad:

I would pay $500 for this topper.

The first topper I looked at while playing was Rush because it was the best way to quickly see how many albums you have collected and what was ready to collect. This has a similar status for The Toy multiball. No one has time for instant info.

#133 4 months ago

Hard to see the value in it when the most similar one was the Sword of Rage topper that originally went for less than $500 and was reissued at $1500 only recently. The other comparable would be the Labyrinth topper which is less than half the cost. It's a cool topper but, to me, not $2000 cool.

#134 4 months ago

Just watched the Stern 1.0 code video with Jack Danger and WOW this topper is incredibly underwhelming... the head turns a little left to right with flashing LED's. It would be tough to drop $499 on this quite honestly given the disappointment in what it does IMO, forget the $2K price tag!

#135 4 months ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

[quoted image]
    [quoted image][quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Oh, I thought this was the first one to hit $2k... Was Mando $2k at release as well, or has the price been jacked up to parallel foo?

#136 4 months ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

[quoted image]
    [quoted image][quoted image]
    [quoted image]

That mando topper is looking like a good deal now. Buy Buy!

#137 4 months ago

This is just now being released?
    Some early adopters have already had Foo FOMO, played and sold their games.
    We live in strange times.

I said a while back that Stern (and others) jumped the shark for me on new game pricing. It’s looks like they are fully committed. I am sincerely curious how this will play out over 5-10 years.

As always, I wish them all well. This is getting pretty silly.

#138 4 months ago

Toppers are basically physical dlc tokens now

Though I’ll admit some of those topper modes are in the base game, if you’re an exceptional player that can progress very far into the game. The topper makes it far more achievable for mortals though.

#139 4 months ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

This is just now being released?
    Some early adopters have already had Foo FOMO, played and sold their games.
    We live in strange times.
    I said a while back that Stern (and others) jumped the shark for me on new game pricing. It’s looks like they are fully committed. I am sincerely curious how this will play out over 5-10 years.
    As always, I wish them all well. This is getting pretty silly.

It won't. They are either struggling hard to stay afloat or they are trying to gouge their customer base. Either way, this will end in a whimper. My guess is the latter tbh, because that's what MANY companies are doing post COVID. I hate unbridled greed, and they think that being under the cover of no financial disclosures/ numbers somehow protects them from customer backlash. If they want to only sell 100 games at 20k, so be it, but it won't be to me. They no longer act like a company that likes pinball, just another company taking advantage of their loyal following by looking at the short term profit margin rather than the long term sustainability. (And yeah, I know I could be completely wrong, but the pinball industry is weird in their secrecy and lack of communication. Leads to a lot of unneeded theories.)

The funniest part of all of this is that there are more pinball manufacturers than ever. More choice than ever. You'd think that would lead to price decreases. Instead we are getting shrinkflation in the pinball market.

In regards to the topper, the head thing isn't bad. However, the rest of it just looks like cheap uninspired playfield plastics. It doesn't look premium and it certainly doesn't look like a 2k topper. Especially when you compare it to other examples.

#140 4 months ago

All these Accessories look Dope IMO...Can't wait to see the Venom ones

#141 4 months ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

It won't. They are either struggling hard to stay afloat or they are trying to gouge their customer base. Either way, this will end in a whimper. My guess is the latter tbh, because that's what MANY companies are doing post COVID. I hate unbridled greed, and they think that being under the cover of no financial disclosures/ numbers somehow protects them from customer backlash. If they want to only sell 100 games at 20k, so be it, but it won't be to me. They no longer act like a company that likes pinball, just another company taking advantage of their loyal following by looking at the short term profit margin rather than the long term sustainability. (And yeah, I know I could be completely wrong, but the pinball industry is weird in their secrecy and lack of communication. Leads to a lot of unneeded theories.)
    The funniest part of all of this is that there are more pinball manufacturers than ever. More choice than ever. You'd think that would lead to price decreases. Instead we are getting shrinkflation in the pinball market.
    In regards to the topper, the head thing isn't bad. However, the rest of it just looks like cheap uninspired playfield plastics. It doesn't look premium and it certainly doesn't look like a 2k topper. Especially when you compare it to other examples.

I don't understand the assumption that we know sterns business better than them and nobody there knows what they are doing.

Obviously they understand the current state of the economy, the current state of pinball market, and the impact of their competition, better than any of us. They've got a huge factory, mouths to feed, and distros full to the brim on NIBs. Yet they still chose this pricing. Must be something to it.

FWIW they sold through first run pretty quick. Couple of dealers websites I checked yesterday mentioned orders would be for second or third run. Maybe first run is small. Maybe not.

Anyway, people so bent out shape over a topper! LE is 3.5k for powder coated armor and a backglass. Oh and Seth Davis signature. They still decide to make 1000 into a market where total game sales is just several thousand. I assume there is strategy and they aren't intentionally trying to go out of business

#142 4 months ago
    Quoted from Sorokyl:

I don't understand the assumption that we know sterns business better than them and nobody there knows what they are doing.
    Obviously they understand the current state of the economy, the current state of pinball market, and the impact of their competition, better than any of us. They've got a huge factory, mouths to feed, and distros full to the brim on NIBs. Yet they still chose this pricing. Must be something to it.
    FWIW they sold through first run pretty quick. Couple of dealers websites I checked yesterday mentioned orders would be for second or third run. Maybe first run is small. Maybe not.
    Anyway, people so bent out shape over a topper! LE is 3.5k for powder coated armor and a backglass. Oh and Seth Davis signature. They still decide to make 1000 into a market where total game sales is just several thousand. I assume there is strategy and they aren't intentionally trying to go out of business

Who said they are intentionally trying to go out of business? The sentiment isn't about the topper alone. It's representative of the current state of mind of the company.

#143 4 months ago

Wow, I just took a look....2k for that?
    Some of you guys are bat shit crazy...

#144 4 months ago

I think one's reaction to price CAN BE a direct correlation to ones wealth.
    Someone like Bill Gates could drop 2k on a topper and it would be a rounding error in his bank account.
    The poorer you are the more 2k matters.
    Some will buy it some won't. If Stern is pleased with sales they will leave the price alone.

This hobby seems to have a pretty big spectrum of wealth, there are some who can buy the topper and not bat an eye at the price.

#145 4 months ago

#146 4 months ago
    Quoted from ASAC_Schrader:

Someone like Bill Gates could drop 2k on a topper and it would be a rounding error in his bank account.
    Some will buy it some won't. If Stern is pleased with sales they will leave the price alone.

I think of it quite the opposite. The richer you are, the less likely you are to squander money.

#147 4 months ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:I think of it quite the opposite. The richer you are, the less likely you are to squander money.

Yes and No..... rich don't throw away money on things which don't matter to them (stingy in this area). They spend wildly on things they do care about. Two very different things.

#148 4 months ago

Why is everyone surprised by the price? This is the same company that had the cajones to charge $2k for a lit plastic, non-interactive sign!

Stern-Pinball-Alley-Light-Up-Sign (resized).jpgStern-Pinball-Alley-Light-Up-Sign (resized).jpg
    #149 4 months ago

Mom-rock fans need to know the important questions...will it fit on my ride?

Foovan (resized).jpgFoovan (resized).jpg
    #150 4 months ago
    Quoted from ASAC_Schrader:

This hobby seems to have a pretty big spectrum of wealth, there are some who can buy the topper and not bat an eye at the price.

I am not sure what the best way is to measure how one is doing financially but my guess would be if you have Stern pinball machines in your house chances are you are doing better than OK financially

There are 454 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.