Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by jeffc
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hi everyone, my Target Alpha plays correctly MOST of the time (I'd say 90% or more). But every now and then, the ball will drain and it just won't count the bonus. Just kicks out the next ball. I know at least once it did it on Ball 5 (when it should have counted the double-bonus) and just never would end the game.

It does this so sporadically that I can't recall for sure if it's done this on a ball OTHER than Ball 5, but I THINK it has (I realize that could impact what the issue is). I can't get it to replicate the issue -- just does it when it feels like it.

You will recall that this game has the unusual bonus set-up where the game "harvests" the bonus via the bonus stepper at the end of each ball -- the bonus stepper does not step as each drop target is knocked down during game-play the way it would in, say, "Quick Draw", for instance.

Curious if this is most likely a Bonus Relay, Double-Bonus Relay, Credit Unit (ball-count), or other issue (Bonus stepper).

I really would like to bring this game to the pinball show up here in June, but want to solve this issue first.

Thanks!

#2 8 years ago

Don't everyone answer at once.

#3 8 years ago

Do you have a schematic for the machine? You would need to trace the bonus countdown circuit to see which switch/relay is out of adjustment. Also, it might be an electrical short, loose wire, etc. I would start at the outhole switch, because that's how the bonus countdown is activated. Also, manually operate the bonus unit to see if it will reset and/or countdown properly. You can post a photo of the bonus countdown circuit if you need help on what switches and relays to look at...

#4 8 years ago

I've never worked on one of these. From the pictures, I assume the bonus unit is under the playfield. It doesn't step each time a target drops? If not, then somehow it has to know how many targets are down.

#5 8 years ago

I have a Solar City.

Sometimes the ball will enter the ball return area fairly quickly, will bounce, then roll through the ball trough. The "Ball Trough Switch", will change the game to the next ball or next player. On the 5th ball you will get the never ending game. Some owners have placed thin foam in that area to stop the ball from bouncing. The foam is not visible from the players position. Now if you have the game set on a steep angle, with fresh wax, the higher ball speeds can create the ball deflection.

Next:

That 'Bonus Unit' is as EMsInKC states is attached to the underside of the playfield. As with any Gottlieb with these steppers they do fall out of adjustment. Does it usually count down the bonus points when the ball lands in the ball return? Ball lands in hole, then you wait as it steps through all 15 contacts, no fun when there are no targets knocked down.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

I have a Solar City.
Sometimes the ball will enter the ball return area fairly quickly, will bounce, then roll through the ball trough. The "Ball Trough Switch", will change the game to the next ball or next player. On the 5th ball you will get the never ending game. Some owners have placed thin foam in that area to stop the ball from bouncing. The foam is not visible from the players position. Now if you have the game set on a steep angle, with fresh wax, the higher ball speeds can create the ball deflection.
Next:
That 'Bonus Unit' is as EMsInKC states is attached to the underside of the playfield. As with any Gottlieb with these steppers they do fall out of adjustment. Does it usually count down the bonus points when the ball lands in the ball return? Ball lands in hole, then you wait as it steps through all 15 contacts, no fun when there are no targets knocked down.

Regarding the bonus unit, yes it normally works. This issue happens maybe once every 50 games or something. I guess it's possible that it's what you're describing with the ball going too quickly into/through the ball trough. I could try the thin foam. If it happened more I could probably deduce it better.

#7 8 years ago

This solved the bonus problem I was having ,see if the bushing on the bonus stepper has free play

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-hand-bonus-scoring-problem-solved

#8 8 years ago

Same problem on my Solar City - bonus works perfectly 90% of the time. Then randomly a ball drain fails to initiate the bonus collection function. I don't think it is bouncing through the trough, but I will keep an eye on it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1977-gottlieb-target-alpha-sporadic-bonus-issue-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.