Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 94 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Mr_Outlane
  • Topic is favorited by 62 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1AD80E07-C528-48C2-A905-75C06731265D (resized).jpeg
    b4d216cba95155bd87dd4ffae9ab234da03d990e (resized).jpg
    a771632c7d19d5dd9e0473533f8ea03e5663e7da (resized).jpg
    54143F58-842B-49ED-8D56-3E9D61A51B0D (resized).jpeg
    D78BBFEA-A3AD-428E-8790-BF29FFE61DBB (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0900 (resized).JPG
    top (resized).png
    SolSaver_Sys11late (resized).jpg
    SolSaver_Sys11early (resized).jpg
    SolSaver_Sys9 (resized).jpg
    sneak peak top (resized).png
    20161207225146738 (resized).jpg
    1.0x0 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2328 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2341 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5401 (resized).jpg
    There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 7 years ago

Similar idea for fusing the AC side of the bridges in WMS 3-11 games. Has holes for wire to board or to use molex 1.56" kk plugs. Would you use something like this?

top (resized).pngtop (resized).png

#52 7 years ago

Just had a specific fuse go out on one of my boards...

Thanks for protecting my pins!

-mof

#53 7 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Similar idea for fusing the AC side of the bridges in WMS 3-11 games. Has holes for wire to board or to use molex 1.56" kk plugs. Would you use something like this?

I would

#54 7 years ago

Relabel your SS fuse board for System 11 and I will buy 4.

#55 7 years ago

This is a nice upgrade. Had to go to 2 amp slo blow for diverter coils on f-14. These tend to stay on long and will blow the 1.25 amp fuse quick. Thanks for doing these!

#56 7 years ago

Just installed one in a Firepower that's been shorting the 2amp solenoid fuse (that I put a fuse breaker on)

Thanks to your invetion -- now I know precisely who the culprit is, and I can keep playing... It's the top right pop. I moved the 2amp fuse breaker now to JUST the pop until I put in the time to figure out where the short is...

Now I gotta open a new thread to learn how to best troubleshoot a short in a pop bumper...

thanks!!!!!!
    -mof

1 week later
    #57 7 years ago

Diode replaced on top right pop (thanks to vid's suggestion) and now I appear to be golden on that pin -- first time since I got it over a year ago.

Your board made all the difference in the troubleshooting. Before, all the special solenoids died and I had no idea where the problem might be.

If you haven't put one of these on every WMS 3-11 pin you own, get it done.

Thank you x 9000.

-mof

#58 7 years ago

Andrew , what a great idea !!

#59 7 years ago

Yes, I would like to buy 5 of them please. Unassembled if possible.

#61 7 years ago

If I go to the website and 'Buy Now', it seems to immediately go to Paypal. How do you put multiple items in a cart and possibly combine shipping in the process?

#62 7 years ago
    Quoted from Joey_N:

If I go to the website and 'Buy Now', it seems to immediately go to Paypal. How do you put multiple items in a cart and possibly combine shipping in the process?

my website is in "zero overhead" mode. So i don't have a shopping cart setup.

For multiple items, send me a PM here or use the contact form on the website. I can send you a paypal invoice to an email address.

Thanks
    Andrew

6 months later
    #63 6 years ago

Ordered one of your diy kits. I look forward to putting together and installing in my jungle lord. I recently had a solenoid lock on due to a bad transistor. This board would have simplified the process I went through in order to track down my problem. Thanks!

#64 6 years ago

Got mine assembled and installed tonight. Fun, simple, and practiacal project! Thanks @barakandI

IMG_0900 (resized).JPGIMG_0900 (resized).JPG

2 months later
    #65 6 years ago

I added the sol saver to my syst 11 Space Station since I wanted fuses for my jet bumpers. I believe that I came up with a good option for mounting. I used the right side wall of the back box. And instead of connecting it at terminal 1j19 I used 8j3 on the aux power driver board where that same bundle connects. There was enough slack in that bundle to reach my new board. Since there are only six wires in that bundle I didn’t need to be concerned about the two that pass through. The green wire included with the kit was not quite long enough so I built another harness. I made my own custom label as well.

D78BBFEA-A3AD-428E-8790-BF29FFE61DBB (resized).jpegD78BBFEA-A3AD-428E-8790-BF29FFE61DBB (resized).jpeg

54143F58-842B-49ED-8D56-3E9D61A51B0D (resized).jpeg54143F58-842B-49ED-8D56-3E9D61A51B0D (resized).jpeg

#66 6 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Probably not this specific board because of the way the connectors are setup. Same reason I don't use the othe dual bridge board out there. I'd rather keep the 1/4" terminal on these.

I'd much rather see a kit of two high quality fuse holders, mounting screws, 8A slow blow fuses, and two jumper wires with the 1/4" terminals ready to go. Add a couple labels and I'm sure you'd sell quite a few.

Your special solenoid board is awesome and very well done. That is plug and play. If this works in system 11 games too I would order another and I know of a couple others with system 11 games like F-14 that would want them too.

#67 6 years ago
    Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Probably not this specific board because of the way the connectors are setup. Same reason I don't use the othe dual bridge board out there. I'd rather keep the 1/4" terminal on these.
    I'd much rather see a kit of two high quality fuse holders, mounting screws, 8A slow blow fuses, and two jumper wires with the 1/4" terminals ready to go. Add a couple labels and I'm sure you'd sell quite a few.
    Your special solenoid board is awesome and very well done. That is plug and play. If this works in system 11 games too I would order another and I know of a couple others with system 11 games like F-14 that would want them too.

I created the bridge AC side fuse board for lamps/sol but never followed through with making samples and putting it for sale. I will dig out the boards and see where its at.

2 years later
    #68 4 years ago

Put this in my Firepower and it saved me on the first boot up.

1 year later
    #69 3 years ago

barakandl is this board still available? I was just looking at your website. It says "out of stock" but I can still add the board to my cart. Is it out of stock? What about the DIY kits?

Thanks!

3 weeks later
    #70 3 years ago
    Quoted from johnboy1313:

barakandl is this board still available? I was just looking at your website. It says "out of stock" but I can still add the board to my cart. Is it out of stock? What about the DIY kits?
    Thanks!

They are in stock. I fixed the website confusion.

#71 3 years ago

I ordered 3 kits week that are on their way.

I think these saver boards are essential if you have a playfield protector. My protector moved a bit on my Firepower & caught on the edge of the skirt holding it down & causing the coil to lock on - luckily I noticed straight away & switched the machine off.

I won't have to worry if that happens again with these boards.

10 months later
    #72 2 years ago

Are these boards still available to buy please?
    If so where?
    Many thanks
    David

#73 2 years ago
    Quoted from Incomer:

Are these boards still available to buy please?
    If so where?
    Many thanks
    David

https://nvram.weebly.com/wms-sss.html

you'll need to make your own BOM though

#74 2 years ago

Ah thank you
    I had a slightly different web address which gave a 404 error, so I thought it had maybe gone

#75 2 years ago
    Quoted from Incomer:

Ah thank you
    I had a slightly different web address which gave a 404 error, so I thought it had maybe gone

Ya looks like he’s changed the site a little since I was there last too

#76 2 years ago

Just made up two of these and soldered wires direct to board. No need for connectors.

3 weeks later
    #77 2 years ago

barakandl Do you still have these for sale? didn't see them on the website.

jeepers....looked at my post just up and here

cannot find the solenoid saver in the list from browsing the website though.

#78 2 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

barakandl Do you still have these for sale? didn't see them on the website.
    jeepers....looked at my post just up and here
    cannot find the solenoid saver in the list from browsing the website though.

You can no longer buy the kit. Just the PCB. So you have to order the fuse clips, 1.25A SB fuses and one male header and two female Molex connectors (9 pin) and install yourself. Also, I made up my own wiring harness as I have a crimp tool, Trifurcon crimps and plastic blank pins. I used 22 gauge wire with associated 22 gauge Trifurcon crimps.
    a771632c7d19d5dd9e0473533f8ea03e5663e7da (resized).jpga771632c7d19d5dd9e0473533f8ea03e5663e7da (resized).jpg

b4d216cba95155bd87dd4ffae9ab234da03d990e (resized).jpgb4d216cba95155bd87dd4ffae9ab234da03d990e (resized).jpg

Added 23 months ago:

Also, you will need plastic stand offs for mounting the board.

2 months later
    #79 1 year ago

barakandl

Doesn't look like the 1.25A SB fuse is still being made (or has very limited supply) - available options seem to be either 1A or 1.5A? How many amps are normally drawn and would 1A simply blow in normal operation? Equally would a 1.5A not provide the protection to the upstream components that the saver board is trying to look after? Thanks

Edit: found some 1.25A on eBay

#80 1 year ago

Bussmann, littelfuse, bel, and probably some Chinese brands manufacture 6.3x32mm 1.25a slow fuses

Beware most Asian and European sized fuses on ebay are technically incorrect size at 6x30mm. You can use those fuses but you really should use the type of fuse clip intended for 6x30mm.

MOQ is 50pcs but typically best price on western brands of fuses.
    https://www.tti.com/content/ttiinc/en/apps/part-search.html?searchTerms=Mdl-1-1-4&systemsCatalog=&x=true

Also...

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/eaton-electronics-division/BK-MDL-1-1-4-R/954318

https://www.alliedelec.com/product/eaton-electronics/bk-mdl-1-1-4-r/70149603/

3 months later
    #81 1 year ago

So, I bought the parts and installed in my Star Light today. ball was bouncing around in the pops, and all 3 of them blew their fuses. everything has been working fine before installing this.

I read a post in this thread about replacing diodes, I'll definitely do that, but is there anything else to look for? coil ohms test out at 2.9 instead of the 5.3 pinballmedic says the 23-850 should be, but that is installed/connected so may not be an accurate reading

#82 1 year ago
    Quoted from BorgDog:

So, I bought the parts and installed in my Star Light today. ball was bouncing around in the pops, and all 3 of them blew their fuses. everything has been working fine before installing this.
    I read a post in this thread about replacing diodes, I'll definitely do that, but is there anything else to look for? coil ohms test out at 2.9 instead of the 5.3 pinballmedic says the 23-850 should be, but that is installed/connected so may not be an accurate reading

Did you check the value of your fuses? The last kit I ordered came with 1/4A fuses accidentally, instead of 1-1/4A.

#83 1 year ago
    Quoted from gutz:

Did you check the value of your fuses? The last kit I ordered came with 1/4A fuses accidentally, instead of 1-1/4A.

yeah, the parts were from the digi-key list from his site. definitely 1.25 labeled on them, and actually ceramic ones

replaced the diodes on them, all the old ones tested fine when I pulled them btw. the coils tested at 3 to 3.2 ohms when not connected to anything.

put back together and still blowing the 1.25 amp fuses. to test it out I tried 1.5 amp and they blew as well. have played a few games with 2 amp installed and have not had an issue yet. probably defeating the purpose of putting this in there by using 2 amp though

#84 1 year ago
    Quoted from BorgDog:

yeah, the parts were from the digi-key list from his site. definitely 1.25 labeled on them, and actually ceramic ones
    replaced the diodes on them, all the old ones tested fine when I pulled them btw. the coils tested at 3 to 3.2 ohms when not connected to anything.
    put back together and still blowing the 1.25 amp fuses. to test it out I tried 1.5 amp and they blew as well. have played a few games with 2 amp installed and have not had an issue yet. probably defeating the purpose of putting this in there by using 2 amp though

they must be Slow Blow or Time Delay fuses or else they may blow on the first few times the coils fire.

https://www.tti.com/content/ttiinc/en/apps/part-detail.html?partsNumber=BK/MDL-1-1/4-R

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/filter/fuses/139?s=N4IgjCBcpgbFoDGUBmBDANgZwKYBoQB7KAbRACYAGMAdlggKttkpAF0CAHAFyhAGVuAJwCWAOwDmIAL4EALAE4EIZJHTZ8RUiADM5WDTnwCeg3IAc7Lr0gDh4qbN1ydy1etwFikMnMo7DCA4QHj5BUUkZRkpzS2gQmxAAVTERbgB5FABZHDQsAFchHBACfL4AQRKQAFtxPjAAOnIAVirqtAAPeqbWpwBacjcoYXzNbzJWtmkneHiRABM%2BPrBqKtDbKu4AT05i2zzkaaA

#86 1 year ago

I ran around this same issue for a bit and it turned out that one of my pops spoons was dirty hanging up every 100 pops or so and, my pop drive switches were gaped too close. Took me MONTHS to figure out why my fuses would randomly blow about once per 100 plays.

#87 1 year ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

I ran around this same issue for a bit and it turned out that one of my pops spoons was dirty hanging up every 100 pops or so and, my pop drive switches were gaped too close. Took me MONTHS to figure out why my fuses would randomly blow about once per 100 plays.

Thanks for the info. New spoons are actually arriving today, along with me metal yokes to replace broken ones

4 months later
    #88 1 year ago

barakandl will you be getting any more of the solenoid saver boards? They show to be out of stock on your website.

#89 1 year ago

I hate assembling these things, specifically the fuse clips. Same reason the rectifier board is kit only. Even the kits are tedious counting out crimps. I'm running low on time and it is a lot more lucrative to focus on something like a MPU.

I've got a new design coming out with Little Fuse 154 style holders. People will probably fuss about the fuse choice but they are dirt cheap, littlefuse makes quality stuff, and most importantly can be automatically assembled. I left the holes so you can use a standard 6.3x32mm glass cartridge fuse straddling the LF154 holder.

I still have to order more wiring harness, the wire harness factory just came back from vacation and is slammed, but I plan on offering this again, but it might look a bit different.

1 month later
    #91 1 year ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

I hate assembling these things, specifically the fuse clips. Same reason the rectifier board is kit only. Even the kits are tedious counting out crimps. I'm running low on time and it is a lot more lucrative to focus on something like a MPU.
    I've got a new design coming out with Little Fuse 154 style holders. People will probably fuss about the fuse choice but they are dirt cheap, littlefuse makes quality stuff, and most importantly can be automatically assembled. I left the holes so you can use a standard 6.3x32mm glass cartridge fuse straddling the LF154 holder.
    I still have to order more wiring harness, the wire harness factory just came back from vacation and is slammed, but I plan on offering this again, but it might look a bit different.

I know all about it!

I just spent three hours making this one with your board and parts ordered from Mouser and Digi-Key. One of the longer steps was making the bridge harness. It requires crimping connector contacts onto segments of wire. If you’ve ever done this, you know that the crimp is stepped - one for the 3mm of exposed wire and a larger-gauge one for the wire housing. Very tedious, although not as tedious as desoldering more than half of the fuse clips that I installed in the wrong orientation!! I didn’t realize each clip has an inboard- and outboard side! Thank goodness I also bought a solder sucker from Mouser.
    Finally got ‘er in though.

1AD80E07-C528-48C2-A905-75C06731265D (resized).jpeg1AD80E07-C528-48C2-A905-75C06731265D (resized).jpeg
    9 months later
    #92 3 months ago

Is this kit or board still available I need some.

#93 3 months ago
    Quoted from Matthew2000tx:

scroll down this page https://nvram.weebly.com/wms--de.html

#94 3 months ago
    Quoted from Matthew2000tx:

See my post #78 above.

There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/special-solenoid-saver-board-for-wms-3-7/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.