(Topic ID: 88610)

Iron Man Club: Adrenaline Junkies Welcome!

By RobT

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,021 posts
  • 435 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by rai
  • Topic is favorited by 138 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240329_142221 (resized).jpg
20240329_144709 (resized).jpg
20240329_144719 (resized).jpg
IMG_0761 (resized).jpeg
IMB_fW5sie.gif
IMB_LZkXy7.gif
IMG_4293 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1268 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-01-30 040548 (resized).png
20240120_165323 (resized).jpg
IMG_4128.jpeg
IMG_4157.jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
thumbnail33 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7767911_0 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider taylor34.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Pin is on all factory settings, but the outlane posts are in the #1 (most closed) positions.

cheater Just kidding man, nice score.

#72 10 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

IM is now my favorite game in my colection.

According to your ratings, it's 7th.

#81 10 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Ratings don't always correlate to reality.

You mean his ratings are outdated? Or that your favorite game won't always be rated #1?

#84 10 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Favorite game doesn't always rank number 1 when you do the ratings.

Doesn't that mean that the ratings system is flawed then? I always just adjust things accordingly to get my list in the right order to avoid that possible issue.

#90 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

It means that the ratings system might place a higher weighting on some factors than what you might place on them. They tried to remedy this by allowing the user to change the weightings.
In other words, some people will place a huge emphasis on theme. So even though a game like FT might play better than another pin, the theme might kill it for them.
TRON LE is my favorite because it excels in so many of the aspects that makes a pin great to me, including theme, theme integration, sound effects, music, appearance, flow, speed, and a decent amount of randomness caused by the disc whipping the ball around.
IM also excels in these areas as well. And I think the comments that Tron and IM are compared to each other a lot is valid.

I'm not sure if that makes a lot of sense though. Tron LE is your #1 game but it's rated #3 on your list? What good is a rating list if it doesn't actually reflect your actual opinion? Like if I gave you a list of my top 10 restaurants, you would be like ok, #1 is his favorite, lets go there. Then you talked to me later, and I told you "#1 isn't my favorite, my favorite is actually #7" you'd be like WTF? Then why is it #7 on your list? See my point here? If your actual top games aren't lining up in order on your rankings, then the ranking system is screwed up (in my opinion).

#93 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Of course I understand what you are saying. Nobody is saying the system is perfect. It's not.
I was just explaining why someone's favorite game won't necessarily be their highest rated pin using the Pinside ratings. It makes sense to me.

Just makes things really confusing, lol, that the lists don't reflect reality. I guess not everyone bends theirs to actually reflect their true list 1 to xxx.

#98 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Yeah, I really don't have a problem with it at all and think it actually makes sense.
For example, while TRON LE is my favorite pin, a lot of that is based on the sounds and music/theme. I think AC/DC is the better pin in terms of game play. So which of those two pins should be ranked higher on a rating system?
I think you want to make the ratings overly simplistic. In other words, you just want a single rating to apply to a pin, like an 8.5, and just do away with all the sub categories like sound, art, etc. I much prefer having multiple categories, because this results in a more objective rating of the pin overall.

Tron should be, if you like it better honestly in my opinion. I understand what everyone is saying though. I would agree that I would favor an overall rating rather than 4 individual categories, or more like 4 unique categories that don't sum to form an overall score...the overall rating would be by user input. Then users could sort by the individual categories to find out the best games in each area, while still being able to maintain an actual list that truly portrays which games you like best in order.

#99 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Yeah, I really don't have a problem with it at all and think it actually makes sense.
For example, while TRON LE is my favorite pin, a lot of that is based on the sounds and music/theme. I think AC/DC is the better pin in terms of game play. So which of those two pins should be ranked higher on a rating system?
I think you want to make the ratings overly simplistic. In other words, you just want a single rating to apply to a pin, like an 8.5, and just do away with all the sub categories like sound, art, etc. I much prefer having multiple categories, because this results in a more objective rating of the pin overall.

Btw, did you just set your ratings to private, lol? I can't even see them anymore.

#101 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Nope. I haven't touched my ratings in a long time.

Huh, I can see them now again. Must have been some sort of pinside glitch.

#146 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

How do you determine what the next award will be?

I think it awards stuff to the last started item (most of the time it seems). That's actually how you earn an extra ball, if you have nothing running and then try and collect something, you give yourself a much higher chance for extra ball (based upon your extra ball % I believe).

1 week later
#197 9 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

I'm hoping its not a fuse or worse and it's just a simple fix

Sounds like your coin door isn't closed honestly or something related.

1 month later
#357 9 years ago

I've learned that you can earn an extra ball with some degree of regularity. Basically, if you complete the lanes and you have nothing running and you hit War Machine, you'll have a chance for extra ball. Now normally the first time you hit it, you get 200k or some stupid pop bumper thing. The second time though it seems like you have a high probability of getting an extra ball. It only happens though if you have nothing else running when you hit it (and that's kind of rare honestly, because you try and save them for when you do have something running). I would say that I get an extra ball about every 10 to 20 games right now. Also, it is possible to get multiple extra balls in one game, I once got two in the same game, lol (yes, I'm sure most of your heads just exploded).

2 months later
#561 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I really don't think you need that for a HUO game.

I agree. If the protector is one of those mylar like things, seems pointless for three reasons:

1) the chances of getting wear on an IM in home use are very very slim unless you just play it 10000 times
2) mylar doesn't play as well as normal playfield, and it doesn't look as good either
3) if for some bizarre reason you do get wear, just buy another playfield with more clearcoat and install it, it will look even better

#597 9 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I wonder if we could all reach a gentleman's agreement about point values for Extra Balls, since they don't happen any other way. Agreeing on "standard" extra ball values would let us compare scores. I've been playing with this setup, and it seems a little too generous:
1 - Replay Type = FIXED
3 - Replay Award = EXTRA BALL
4 - Replays Levels = 2
7 - Replay Level 1 = 15,000,000
8 - Replay Level 2 = 30,000,000
I was thinking of changing it to 25M / 50M. Should I start another thread with a poll? If so, what values would you recommend?

If you want to compare scores, factory posts and settings are about the only fair way. At those settings, any kind of high score you see will have to had been an awesome game. I've seen high scores on IM that I was blown away by only to find out they're on 5 ball with the posts moved all the way in, lol. Got to challenge yourself if you want to become a better player, IM is a great game to learn nudging skills on.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Roseville, CA
$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider taylor34.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-man-owners-club?tu=taylor34 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.