(Topic ID: 88610)

Iron Man Club: Adrenaline Junkies Welcome!

By RobT

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,013 posts
  • 435 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 hours ago by KJS
  • Topic is favorited by 138 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240329_142221 (resized).jpg
20240329_144709 (resized).jpg
20240329_144719 (resized).jpg
IMG_0761 (resized).jpeg
IMB_fW5sie.gif
IMB_LZkXy7.gif
IMG_4293 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1268 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-01-30 040548 (resized).png
20240120_165323 (resized).jpg
IMG_4128.jpeg
IMG_4157.jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
thumbnail33 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7767911_0 (resized).jpg

There are 5,013 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 101.
#1 9 years ago

Didn't see a thread discussing the rules and gameplay of this in your face, kick ass pin, so here it is.

I just got a super nice HUO IM in my lineup (thanks for the trade Wheels!). I owned IM before, and have missed it ever since. Very glad to have it back in the lineup!

IM is, to this day, the pin that made the best first impression of any pin I've ever played. I was immediately hooked on this pin from the very first play. The way it fights you back and makes you earn everything, combined with the great sound effects and music makes it very appealing.

Can't stop pushing the start button!

Eskaybee came by to play a few games, and I was lucky enough to put together the best game I've ever had on IM (beating my prior GC score by 100 million points). Completed Jericho and hit the Do or Die shot for a full 50 million points (I'm on 1.4 code).

Holy sh*t! What a game! Heart pumping, adrenaline flowing, hands shaking, and sweating like a pig...God I love it!

The game before this, I think I scored 6 million.

The score on the top left is Eskaybee's.

IM pinball GC Score 2014.JPGIM pinball GC Score 2014.JPG

#2 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Didn't see a thread discussing the rules and gameplay of this in your face, kick ass pin, so here it is.
I just got a super nice HUO IM in my lineup (thanks for the trade Wheels!). I owned IM before, and have missed it ever since. Very glad to have it back in the lineup!
IM is, to this day, the pin that made the best first impression of any pin I've ever played. I was immediately hooked on this pin from the very first play. The way it fights you back and makes you earn everything, combined with the great sound effects and music makes it very appealing.
Can't stop pushing the start button!
Eskaybee came by to play a few games, and I was lucky enough to put together the best game I've ever had on IM (beating my prior GC score by 100 million points). Completed Jericho and hit the Do or Die shot for a full 50 million points (I'm on 1.4 code).
Holy sh*t! What a game! Heart pumping, adrenaline flowing, hands shaking, and sweating like a pig...God I love it!
The game before this, I think I scored 6 million.
The score on the top left is Eskaybee's.

IM pinball GC Score 2014.JPG 34 KB

Awesome score! Great job!

Beating Jericho is no easy task. And yeah I run the older code too. 50 mil DoD is the way to go.

#3 9 years ago

I Just picked up IM last night and I'm loving it!
Rob that score is ridiculous not sure how the heck you pulled that off?
Any one have any tips for protecting the playfield around the magnets... Mylar or?
image-365.jpgimage-365.jpg

#4 9 years ago

Nail bitter*
I
I
I
I
I
I
I

*Sorry eskaybee

#5 9 years ago

Change the thread title to "IRON MAN club, adrenaline junkies welcome!" then they will come.

Clean game. concretehardt, congrats and post more pics. PBL magnet mylar is an option. Any mods?

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I Just picked up IM last night and I'm loving it!
Rob that score is ridiculous not sure how the heck you pulled that off?
Any one have any tips for protecting the playfield around the magnets... Mylar or?

image-365.jpg 56 KB

I couldn't believe it myself. Like I said, when I owned IM before, my high score was 151 million. I never completed Jericho before today. That helped my score in a big way (I think it was around 87 million points for Jericho?), then immediately lit DoD, hit the middle shot and collected the full 50 million.

Mine had the mylar around the magnets. Highly recommended.

Congrats on the pin Concrete!

Quoted from gprotein:

Change the thread title to "IRON MAN club, adrenaline junkies welcome!" then they will come.

Love it.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

Awesome score! Great job!
Beating Jericho is no easy task. And yeah I run the older code too. 50 mil DoD is the way to go.

Yeah, the 50 million DoD is why I haven't upgraded to the newer code.

But...I'm wondering what other differences there are? Because there is what appears to be a code issue on 1.4 where you can have DoD lit, and if you have Monger ready to go and hit the middle shot to start DoD, Monger will come up and block the DoD shot! Talk about a buzz kill! This has happened to me twice already.

Is there a way around this on 1.4 code?

#8 9 years ago

Picked one up off this forum in Feb - pimped it out with new armor - plastic set - and an external sub. This is the one I brought to Louisville, but looks a bit different now...

IMG_1973.JPGIMG_1973.JPG
#9 9 years ago

Dam who's the guy that got the crappy 4M?

#10 9 years ago

I dunno man, I've seen Eskaybee play, I think you're asking for it taunting him, he's gonna get psyched up for the next time he comes by!

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I dunno man, I've seen Eskaybee play, I think you're asking for it taunting him, he's gonna get psyched up for the next time he comes by!

Heh. I've seen him play too, and he beats me fairly regularly.

This is exactly the reason that I'm taking advantage of this opportunity for some taunting! It just doesn't happen all that often.

#12 9 years ago

Is there no DOD in 1.6? I would love to know the other differences as well.

#13 9 years ago

Wow, nice game! Are you sure the outlanes are not closed up!?

#14 9 years ago

Aweseome game and awesome thread! IM will never leave my collection!

As far as differences go between 1.4 and 1.6, one thing I can tell you they changed, and it's a big one- in 1.4, you can start do or die, then if you are close to raising Monger and end up shooting the last letter, it could raise Monger and completely block the shot for DOD. I had this happen once, and that was enough for me to update to 1.6. Nothing worse than earning DOD and having a glitch block you from the jackpot.

#15 9 years ago

Yeah, but the 50 million shot is awesome! Are there any sound or DMD changes?

#16 9 years ago

Man you know I belong in this club!! That score is ridiculous!!! Great job! I've dropped over a grand in mods. Putting them on a few at a time. I wish I was smart enough to hook up Ozzy to play whenever I hit the start button. Some ACDC would be awesome too.

#17 9 years ago

I may have an extra mylar magnet protector set somewhere if I recall. Let me know Concrete and I will take a look.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Those types of score are possible on factory, just not frequent.

On my personal game with the outlanes opened and factory settings and no extra ball score tiers, I have 2 scores in that same GC range.

Most games, I assure you, are much, much lower. That is one punishing game, but one of my all time favorites.

#19 9 years ago

I would def buy some Mylar magnet protectors off anyone who has some extra laying around. Please let me know.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Make no mistake, this was a *great* game for me. I beat my prior GC score (when I previously owned IM) by 100 million points.

The best thing about this score was the fact that I had a fellow Pinsider witness it, so he can confirm that the glass was on and that the outlanes were not blocked.

Pin is on all factory settings, but the outlane posts are in the #1 (most closed) positions.

Quoted from Khabbi:

Aweseome game and awesome thread! IM will never leave my collection!
As far as differences go between 1.4 and 1.6, one thing I can tell you they changed, and it's a big one- in 1.4, you can start do or die, then if you are close to raising Monger and end up shooting the last letter, it could raise Monger and completely block the shot for DOD. I had this happen once, and that was enough for me to update to 1.6. Nothing worse than earning DOD and having a glitch block you from the jackpot.

Thanks Khabbi. If you read my post earlier in the thread, you will see that this has already happened to me twice. DoD is ready to go, you hit the middle shot to start it, then Monger rises from the PF to block the shot!

So this is fixed in 1.6? It will be a hard decision. 50 million for DoD with the chance of Monger blocking the shot, or 35 million for DoD with no chance of Monger blocking the shot.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from jamespin:

I may have an extra mylar magnet protector set somewhere if I recall. Let me know Concrete and I will take a look.

PM sent

Quoted from gprotein:

Clean game. concretehardt, congrats and post more pics. PBL magnet mylar is an option. Any mods?

Thanks G! No mods on this one... What are the must have mods on for this machine?

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

PM sent

Thanks G! No mods on this one... What are the must have mods on for this machine?

Must have mods:

1. Shaker
2. Sub: external or upgrades like FF/Pinballpro.
3. Candy red armor
4. Everything else is just gravy and up to your personal taste, although I do like the LEDs in the chest of the figures and EL wire whips on Whiplash.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Pin is on all factory settings, but the outlane posts are in the #1 (most closed) positions.

cheater Just kidding man, nice score.

#24 9 years ago

this acquisition was one i labored over for quite a while. now that i finally have one its played every day. gprotien nailed it with the needed upgrades. my highest game of all time on any IM is only 110M. when i see 250M scores i think, "that cant be real. or they must have the game set up too easy."

needless to say i effing love IM. its like my MM

#25 9 years ago

IM is on my wish list.....one day (I hope)

#26 9 years ago

Fantastic game - haven't gone over 100 million yet but on 1.6 code and my outlanes are factory which is third position I think.

Thinking of putting Sigma color dmd in the game - anyone done this yet? The game is worth it!

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Thinking of putting Sigma color dmd in the game - anyone done this yet? The game is worth it!

Pinball Side mirrors had an IM in their both with a sigma color display in it at TPF...was yellow. Looked fantastic! I would recommend getting one.

#28 9 years ago

Great game, love mine. Just wish it wasn't built in the cost cutting days when the budget on toys etc. was obviously low. John Borg did a fantastic job with the game.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from joegeno:

this acquisition was one i labored over for quite a while. now that i finally have one its played every day. gprotien nailed it with the needed upgrades. my highest game of all time on any IM is only 110M. when i see 250M scores i think, "that cant be real. or they must have the game set up too easy."

On my particular game with factory settings I have 2 scores right around 250 MIL and coincidentally, they are within about 600k of each other. There are about 3500 plays on my game, not all mine of course, and I have won Jericho twice, which are the 2 games with the large scores.

Surviving all levels of Jericho on factory is a rarity because there are things to complete that are just going to send the ball into chaos.

#30 9 years ago

Love mine, it will never leave. I'll be buried in this game.

Done a few mods to mine, the arc reactors, my own Iron Monger cover decal, my custom shooter rod of course.. mirror blades.. sending my cab hardware out soon for some candy-apple red goodness. I'm also getting this translite made (mock-up below, NOT my IM in the photo).

223184.jpg223184.jpg
#31 9 years ago
Quoted from tonyoz:

Great game, love mine. Just wish it wasn't built in the cost cutting days when the budget on toys etc. was obviously low. John Borg did a fantastic job with the game.

I have to say I was pleased to find that IM has a standard lockdown bar. Can someone tell me who sells the standard playfield rails, el wire whiplash mod and led mod for Monger? I hooked my Polk external sub up... What a difference!

#32 9 years ago

YES! This game benefits greatly from a subwoofer upgrade.

I love the rules the way they are on this game, but I'd also like to see just ONE more release happen with the Lyman treatment. I think he could make this game really sing.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

YES! This game benefits greatly from a subwoofer upgrade.
I love the rules the way they are on this game, but I'd also like to see just ONE more release happen with the Lyman treatment. I think he could make this game really sing.

The game needs an earnable extra ball.

#34 9 years ago

I just got mine last weekend and a SUPER nice one at that. I've been tearing it down and modding it more than I've played it thus far, but man am I loving it. If I had to go down to one machine right now, IM would be the last pin standing.

My best score is only ~90MM, but it was a rush!

image-168.jpgimage-168.jpg
image-140.jpgimage-140.jpg
image-29.jpgimage-29.jpg
image-875.jpgimage-875.jpg

Yes, I know I still have to swap out back box hinges and I have a new shooter housing and rod coming too)...can't arrive fast enough.

#35 9 years ago

^^^^^^^
Hell yes. And Im serious, anyone have any Mylar they can hook me up with?

#36 9 years ago

IM = best pin ever.

I bought it NIB at release and loved it from game 1.

#37 9 years ago

BTW RobT, you mentioned rules. Somewhere in the archives I posted a long treatise on the near impossibility of Do or Die Multiball if you are looking for rules discussions.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from molspin:

I just got mine last weekend and a SUPER nice one at that. I've been tearing it down and modding it more than I've played it thus far, but man am I loving it. If I had to go down to one machine right now, IM would be the last pin standing.
My best score is only ~90MM, but it was a rush!

Yes, I know I still have to swap out back box hinges and I have a new shooter housing and rod coming too)...can't arrive fast enough.

image-29.jpg 190 KB

image-875.jpg 172 KB

image-140.jpg 120 KB

image-168.jpg 157 KB

Ha! That Iron Man wall art is great!

#39 9 years ago

Glad to be in the club!
Here is mine.

Shaker motor
Sub
Translucent apron w/ flashers
Red armor and customer painted coin door
Color changing flipper buttons and speaker grills
Topper
EL wire whips
Lighted figures and Monger

Probably a few things I'm forgetting... love this game and surprisingly holds up well against my Tron LE, METLE, WOZECLE, AFM, and AC/DC Luci.

photo.JPGphoto.JPG
#40 9 years ago

Ha! That Iron Man wall art is great!

Agreed, I have the helmet but never knew the glove existed

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

Love mine, it will never leave. I'll be buried in this game.
Done a few mods to mine, the arc reactors, my own Iron Monger cover decal, my custom shooter rod of course.. mirror blades.. sending my cab hardware out soon for some candy-apple red goodness. I'm also getting this translite made (mock-up below, NOT my IM in the photo).

223184.jpg 312 KB

Where do you get that translite?

BSL

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from joegeno:

needless to say i effing love IM. its like my MM

Here is the trick to getting a 250+ mil score. Get all the lights lit for DOD. Collect the DOD super jackpot (usually for at least 25+ mil). The key is that once you hit the DOD SJP, you get 2x scoring for the rest of that ball. Then get into Jericho. Complete Jericho IN THAT BALL at hit the Jericho SJP with 2x running. Its a chore to do this, but it will get you over 100 mil as an award for the Jericho SJP. I have done it once and my score was 263 mil.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

Here is the trick to getting a 250+ mil score. Get all the lights lit for DOD. Collect the DOD super jackpot (usually for at least 25+ mil). The key is that once you hit the DOD SJP, you get 2x scoring for the rest of that ball. Then get into Jericho. Complete Jericho IN THAT BALL at hit the Jericho SJP with 2x running. Its a chore to do this, but it will get you over 100 mil as an award for the Jericho SJP. I have done it once and my score was 263 mil.

Just give me a year or two of continuos playing and maybe I'll do this

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Heh. I've seen him play too, and he beats me fairly regularly.
This is exactly the reason that I'm taking advantage of this opportunity for some taunting! It just doesn't happen all that often.

You know what I like about pinball, is watching another good player get in the zone and kill it. When rob nailed that score, I could tell he was in the zone making all the right shots and saves. IM isn't very forgiving but rob was honed in. Fun to watch those games. And you know what the great part is, that game probably only took 10 mins if that

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Just give me a year or two of continuos playing and maybe I'll do this

That's what I thought too. A pinsider was over at my house and was having an epic game. Got the DOD SJP and then the Jericho SJP all on one ball. When he hit the Jericho SJP it showed the score for the SJP (100,000,000) and the text for the score wrapped a bit over the DMD. We were both like "holy shit! how did that happen!" Checked the rules and found the 2x multiplier after DOD SJP.

I then played the crap out of my IM for the next week or so. It was like a mission to try to get it for myself. After a lot of sweaty palms and some epic swearing, I got into a zone in one game and pulled it off. Great feeling.

I am not that great of a player at all. You just need some luck, a lot of continuous time on a game, and as SKB says, to get in the right zone.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

Having 2x timed scoring running from the Iron Man targets and then starting/earning DoD can be worth up to 100MIL on the older code that awards up to 50MIL as the base award.

There are great strategies on paper that will allow the player to earn decent points, but they are very hard to implement.

It is by far easier to use DoD scoring and subsequent 2x playfield as a strategy, than to rely on completing Jericho. Now if the player can manage to set up an Iron Monger multiball stack with Jericho, then maybe getting through Jericho is a little (just a little) easier.

(To achieve the above mentioned stack, Iron Monger has to be ready to rise from a shot up the middle and coincide with the start of Jericho. Jericho will start in single ball mode which would have Iron Monger up anyway. But since Iron Monger is also up from having the 6 letters done, after the 6 shots to Iron Monger, multiball starts and Jericho is still running.)

#47 9 years ago

My Iron Man decals/wall art are breaking down my wall to play a game. I am also tricking out my Police Trainer in Iron Man colors to go in my Iron Man arcade room. My four year old loves to play too.

image-151.jpgimage-151.jpg image-895.jpgimage-895.jpg image-981.jpgimage-981.jpg image-758.jpgimage-758.jpg image-824.jpgimage-824.jpg image-57.jpgimage-57.jpg image-749.jpgimage-749.jpg
#48 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Oh, that explains it then...put those outlanes back!

#49 9 years ago

It is by far easier to use DoD scoring and subsequent 2x playfield as a strategy, than to rely on completing Jericho. Now if the player can manage to set up an Iron Monger multiball stack with Jericho, then maybe getting through Jericho is a little (just a little) easier.
(To achieve the above mentioned stack, Iron Monger has to be ready to rise from a shot up the middle and coincide with the start of Jericho. Jericho will start in single ball mode which would have Iron Monger up anyway. But since Iron Monger is also up from having the 6 letters done, after the 6 shots to Iron Monger, multiball starts and Jericho is still running.)

Pretty sure this is an old code technique. This is not possible on 1.6

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Pretty sure this is an old code technique. This is not possible on 1.6

Oh, that is too bad. I actually like setting that up.

One more reason for me not to switch to 1.6

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Mary, FL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
There are 5,013 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 101.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-man-owners-club and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.