Topic poll

“Club Spidey (Spider-Man) - Members and guests welcome”

• Spider-Man is the best Stern Pin 53 votes
    21%
  • Spider-Man is the best Super Hero Pin 128 votes
    52%
  • Black Spider-Man is Shiny 66 votes
    27%

(Multiple choice - 247 votes by 228 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CD7240FA-1FDF-4254-BA82-E95D6C14F024 (resized).jpeg
20240213_004735 (resized).jpg
20240203_173658 (resized).jpg
SPIDEY VE CARDS (resized).jpg
4B8A3452-D70A-4439-9E59-423D20D4F63C (resized).jpeg
IMG_7235 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2071 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9275 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2094 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2095 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2096 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2086 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2092 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2085 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2091 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,516 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 51.
#601 7 years ago

First time ever getting to super hero. Holy hell what a game.

Kind of felt bad for my competitors.

IMG_20170321_215144 (resized).jpgIMG_20170321_215144 (resized).jpg

#602 7 years ago

I got rejected by perfect dead on forehand shots to the doc scoop three times last night (despite having dead stop foam back there), during a good game, for me. Enough was enough, so today I took George's best fix that he made for the vault and applied it to my BSM. He made the scoop way bigger in vault and also made like a cliff that the ball falls off of.

A little bit of black burn mark from the dremel is visible to the player, but barely. I can live with it. I mod a ton and try to beautify a ton, but the number one factor is always flawless playability and a machine behaving as the designer intended.

This job was not for the faint of heart.

In three test games I got rejected about 1/5th as much as before. I'll take it.

If wondering, game is level and set to 6.6 pitch.

IMG_1430.JPGIMG_1430.JPG

IMG_1429.JPGIMG_1429.JPG

IMG_1431.JPGIMG_1431.JPG

IMG_1432.JPGIMG_1432.JPG

IMG_1433.JPGIMG_1433.JPG

#603 7 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

I got rejected by perfect dead on forehand shots to the doc scoop three times last night (despite having dead stop foam back there), during a good game, for me. Enough was enough, so today I took George's best fix that he made for the vault and applied it to my BSM. He made the scoop way bigger in vault and also made like a cliff that the ball falls off of.
A little bit of black burn mark from the dremel is visible to the player, but barely. I can live with it. I mod a ton and try to beautify a ton, but the number one factor is always flawless playability and a machine behaving as the designer intended.
This job was not for the faint of heart.
In three test games I got rejected about 1/5th as much as before. I'll take it.
If wondering, game is level and set to 6.6 pitch.

Ballsy move, but you got to do what you got to do.

#604 7 years ago

Good luck selling that machine down the line lol. Considering that most of us do not have that problem I am sure there would have been a more elegant way to solve your problem.

#605 7 years ago
Quoted from BioBa:

Good luck selling that machine down the line lol. Considering that most of us do not have that problem I am sure there would have been a more elegant way to solve your problem.

No worries there mate. I have a core group of games that will outlast me. Spidey stays in the family, already in my will.

Also- if you have a more elegant solution I'd like to hear it.

#606 7 years ago
Quoted from BioBa:

Eh, 14 or 15 cliffys and no one will notice

#607 7 years ago

Well you can touch up that part with some orange paint and put some clear on that, or precut mylar. I think most will not even see that.

#608 7 years ago

Good suggestions. How about paint/clear covered by cliffies. ^_^ and then move the machine to a nuclear safe underground bunker!

#609 7 years ago

Random - Did you try bending that back angle bracket AND putting drop dead foam in there. I tried the foam on mine and had some bounce outs still. I bent that angle bracket down a hair and haven't had one since. Obviously this question is a day late and a dollar short, just curious. It's your machine. If it plays better, and you're not looking to sell it, then cheers to you.

#610 7 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Random - Did you try bending that back angle bracket AND putting drop dead foam in there. I tried the foam on mine and had some bounce outs still. I bent that angle bracket down a hair and haven't had one since. Obviously this question is a day late and a dollar short, just curious. It's your machine. If it plays better, and you're not looking to sell it, then cheers to you.

Yeah man, thanks I did try the bend as well. That helped only a little but was nowhere near satisfactory. It plays monumentally better now that I took the drastic measure as a final 3rd step.

Now I'm trying to get to Super Hero with middle post out and outlanes in position 3. A solid challenge match for my skill level. Can't stand when people bash on this game for being too long/easy. With a middle post and four outlane positions (and smaller flippers for pros), It's like the most adjustable game. Certainly the most adjustable in my modern Stern based collection.

#611 7 years ago

Best of luck! I've got the posts all the way down, as well as the center post still installed. I've had super hero lit twice and choked BOTH TIMES!!!! SO FRUSTRATING!!!!! I will get there one day....

#612 7 years ago

Hey all.

I just bought SM (my second one) I had money burning a hole in my pocket and less willpower, when a mint red SM came up. I bought it because it was near mint. I mean like 9.8 out of 10.

I really love it, until now AFM remake comes out. I realize AFM is more money and (could have) some issues which I wouldn't know at this time (recall MMr playfield issues) but it's looks cool with the extra large color DMD.

I am glad to have SM but sad to have missed the AFM excitement since the money's gone. I realize money is not gone, I can play SM for a year or more and sell and get an AFM if needed.

But what I was more trying to discuss is that (I think) SM is probably just as good or almost as good as AFM?

I mean, have not played a ton of AFM but played it some and think it's swell and it's on my wish list. But back 3 years ago before any AFM remake, I was in the market for MMr or something so I went to a guys house and he had MM, SM, AFM and I played them a few times and thought that SM was similar or nearly as fun and seems like it was a good value as it's always costing less than same condition MM or AFM.

Anyone with SM and AFM in their collection or prior collection? Do you think they are same/similar in fun and lastability?

Like SM third flipper (Venom shot) a lot, main reason I got SM again is because I really like Venom shot. I have Tron, and ST which have side ramps and Tspp (not the same since it feeds the upper PF). But I like side ramp shots well, but my favorite shot is really Venom shot since it does the up and down action really nice. Always satisfying.

I am not crazy about Sandman (drop bank), I think it's OK but kind of meh, and it seems like AFM is very heavy into this drop bank target for like half the game. I have Potc which is mainly bash the ship, and MM has the castle and STLE has the ship. I know a lot of Pinball is somewhat similar. Just wanted to hear what people think of AFM v SM.

#613 7 years ago

I own both but not had SM for that long.

So far, AFM is hands down the better game.

Just more fun, better flow, etc.

#614 7 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I own both but not had SM for that long.
So far, AFM is hands down the better game.
Just more fun, better flow, etc.

Disagree completely. A fine tuned, clean, spidey is light years better than medieval madness with martians. Not that medieval madness nor martians are bad- but spidey rules, flow, accessibility, adjustability, sounds, dots, atmosphere are the second best in all of pinball. And I'm talking regular '07 and '16 vault. AFM is fun and... kitschy while Spidey is fun, timeless, flawless, and well... Amazing.

#615 7 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

Disagree completely. A fine tuned, clean, spidey is light years better than medieval madness with martians. Not that medieval madness nor martians are bad- but spidey rules, flow, accessibility, adjustability, sounds, dots, atmosphere are the second best in all of pinball. And I'm talking regular '07 and '16 vault. AFM is fun and... kitschy while Spidey is fun, timeless, flawless, and well... Amazing.

Well, that is good news for me as only had SM a couple of weeks and sounds like it is a game that needs to be owned a while to appreciate

#616 7 years ago

SM is the best of the 3, then MM, then AFM. The layout and rules go in that order too. SM has some of the best rules ever.

#617 7 years ago

AFM is a brilliant balance of pinball feng shui, but SM is a better game overall from my experience of owning both - more to do, harder to beat but no impossible, better scoring strategies, and some good humour thrown in too. AFM looks better though

SM is AFM on steroids.

#618 7 years ago

For those that have installed a colorDMD what format are you running? I have tried a few and still not sold on which one gives the best clarity. Thoughts?

#619 7 years ago
Quoted from jwwhite15:

For those that have installed a colorDMD what format are you running? I have tried a few and still not sold on which one gives the best clarity. Thoughts?

DotXL is the winner, but remember to adjust the contrast/brightness settings.

#620 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

DotXL is the winner, but remember to adjust the contrast/brightness settings.

Ah, Maybe that is what I am missing. I did like the DotXL but thought it was still missing something. What did you change your setting to?

#621 7 years ago

need advice. trying to make it to super hero mode. some questions.

i guess i need to complete all 4 villians.
do i need to just start the modes or do i have to complete the modes?

#622 7 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

need advice. trying to make it to super hero mode. some questions.
i guess i need to complete all 4 villians.
do i need to just start the modes or do i have to complete the modes?

Just start (I believe) so maybe it doesn't make sense to try to play the modes just concentrate on starting the mode and forget about it.

I'm not sure so waiting to hear from an expert. Maybe there should be another goal if you were to complete all the modes.

But like LOTR you can start TABA just by starting the modes but to get to Valanor you need to defeat everything.

#623 7 years ago

You must start the mode and sit it out. You do not have to play the made and reach it like in GB. Just wait and start the next mode.

#624 7 years ago

Just need to start the "white" modes, no need to complete them. need to complete all three levels of all four villains.

Note completion for doc ock is merely starting Armed at the dock multiball (don't need a super jackpot or anything)

#625 7 years ago

awesome thanks for the info. i had been working on that strategy of start mode. make a shot. wait to finish. then use multiballs to help complete villians.

#626 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Just start (I believe) so maybe it doesn't make sense to try to play the modes just concentrate on starting the mode and forget about it.
I'm not sure so waiting to hear from an expert. Maybe there should be another goal if you were to complete all the modes.
But like LOTR you can start TABA just by starting the modes but to get to Valanor you need to defeat everything.

Nothing for completing all the modes, but each one you complete gives you a chance to add a multiplier to a shot on the pf. Well worth doing!

#627 7 years ago
Quoted from jwwhite15:

Ah, Maybe that is what I am missing. I did like the DotXL but thought it was still missing something. What did you change your setting to?

Don't remember...I'll take a look next time I head down to the game room.

#628 7 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

Ok, they are now side by side! At the moment it's still AFM for me bit need time to get into SM ruleset.

IMG_1100 (resized).JPGIMG_1100 (resized).JPG

#629 7 years ago

Just timing the modes out isn't the best way to score on SM. For every mode you beat you can assign a 3x value on a shot for the rest of the ball. Beating the mode and putting the 3x on the right shot is key to scoring big.

If you are getting close to Battle Royale, then put the 3x on the right ramp to cash in 3 times BR Jackpots once you start it.

Or put the 3x on Doc Ock to get big Doc Ock Super Jackpots, if you are close to starting a Doc Ock multi ball.

You want to go into Battle Royale and Super Hero with as many shot multipliers as possible. Starting them with no shot multipliers will result in a decent score but you'll never get the scores achieved by playing out and beating the modes.

And once you beat Super Hero the whole playfield value is 2x.

#630 7 years ago

Long shot I know, but does anyone have a spare Jameson Plastic that goes over the lock ball target?

#631 7 years ago

Hey all

I've been looking for a better rule sheet than Pinball News for SM?

If not one, can someone give me a rundown of the multipliers? I mean complete a timed mode and you can double one shot is that only for the duration of the ball?

Red inserts after a Villain is defeated count for extra points? How long are these shots around for or when do they expire?

Venom 1 (goo on you) is there a number of shots to complete or does it just time out if you don't make the shot for too long a period of time?

What other multipliers should I be aware of? Advanced strategies?

Right now I am just trying to compete the villain modes 1x each (extra ball) 2x each (battle royal) and 3x each (plus white modes for SH).

What else should I be trying to do? Tips or easter eggs?

Finally on the feature adjustment menu there is a setting that says reset villains after 3x (default) or after SH. So if I changed it to reset after SH what would happen to the Villains after they are done 3x. Do they just stop existing? Is there a benefit to that?

Any settings I should adjust? I just added some extra time to Daily Bugle since that always causes me trouble.

#632 7 years ago

During normal game play once you complete all lit white arrows, your next shot will be lit for 2x for the rest of the ball. A shot to either orbit then starts the mode (you can put 2x on either orbit and start mode simultaneously).

Once you defeat the timed mode, your next shot will be 3x for the rest of the ball.

Venom 1 is the only Venom 'mode' that will time out. The other two times you have to complete it. Venom 3 only shots to the side ramp count as Venom shots.

As for the villans resetting I've only ever had it on default.

As for the red inserts during normal game play I believe every one you hit just adds a combo to your total. After I think 50 combos there is a combo multball.

#633 7 years ago
Quoted from RJW:

During normal game play once you complete all lit white arrows, your next shot will be lit for 2x for the rest of the ball. A shot to either orbit then starts the mode (you can put 2x on either orbit and start mode simultaneously).
Once you defeat the timed mode, your next shot will be 3x for the rest of the ball.
Venom 1 is the only Venom 'mode' that will time out. The other two times you have to complete it. Venom 3 only shots to the side ramp count as Venom shots.
As for the villans resetting I've only ever had it on default.
As for the red inserts during normal game play I believe every one you hit just adds a combo to your total. After I think 50 combos there is a combo multball.

You can beat Venom 1 with enough shots, but it will time out if you don't hit your shots.

#634 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

You can beat Venom 1 with enough shots, but it will time out if you don't hit your shots.

Right, all I was saying was it was the only one that would time out without having to beat it, they can all be beat in x amount of shots.

I generally don't worry about Venom 1 and focus on the white arrows at that time, it's going to time out and it's worth minimal points and doesn't provide any major advantage to completing it vs. letting it time out.

#635 7 years ago

I just had one of those games that's so frustrating with 58M on first ball and lit EB award managed to bungle the rest of the game, had BR set up on last ball but drained before starting net 80M (or 22M on last three balls)

#636 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I just had one of those games that's so frustrating with 58M on first ball and lit EB award managed to bungle the rest of the game, had BR set up on last ball but drained before starting net 80M (or 22M on last three balls)

Oh man, I hate those games where I have 3 or 4 multipliers lit and just a few shots to get BR and drain

#637 7 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Long shot I know, but does anyone have a spare Jameson Plastic that goes over the lock ball target?

I've got one for you if you still need it. PM me your address and I'll mail it to you.

#638 7 years ago

I know SM a great game, but I just don't play it that much and neither do the grandkids.

So I'm going to sell it and get an AFMr LE.

Not sure I'll be totally happy afterwards, but that's my plan at least for today.

For me, if I have a game for about 5 years, I just don't play it that much. Seems like a waste to have something just sit in the corner and gather dust.

It is a great game, and I can see why people say that it's a keeper.

Robert

#639 7 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

I know SM a great game, but I just don't play it that much and neither do the grandkids.
So I'm going to sell it and get an AFMr LE.
Not sure I'll be totally happy afterwards, but that's my plan at least for today.
For me, if I have a game for about 5 years, I just don't play it that much. Seems like a waste to have something just sit in the corner and gather dust.
It is a great game, and I can see why people say that it's a keeper.
Robert

After 5 years, sometimes it's best just to move on. Two of my favorite pins are LOTR + FGY. I owned LOTR for 7 years and hope I never play one ever again lol. But if your a player and want to see another side of SM, try removing the center post and even replacing the standard flipper bats for Lightning flippers. Not many games can be altered around for such a difficulty, LOTR cannot, but SM has a perfect ruleset to compliment a tougher setup such as this.

Otherwise, best of luck in your search for an AFMR. It's on my radar too.

#640 7 years ago

I know the feeling, I've had Potc the longest yet 10 years. Hard for me to let it go due to nostalgia plus I've yet to beat it but I'm getting close.

Don't play it as much as I used to but it's popular with my guests so I keep it around. I think better to trade it for something else *after* I get to the Wizard mode a few times.

#641 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Oh man, I hate those games where I have 3 or 4 multipliers lit and just a few shots to get BR and drain

Just did the same thing again, probably because I need one more mode and I tighten up.

#642 7 years ago

Modified my backbox, removing the fluorescent tube and replaced with led strips. It's interactive, flashers are tied into the two flashers on the backboard, which go off on venom and dock ock shots plus a few more. The word "spiderman" has an rgb strip across. Much more vibrant overall.

1 week later
#643 7 years ago
Quoted from Fliptastic:

I've got one for you if you still need it. PM me your address and I'll mail it to you.

Huge kudos to Fliptastic for getting me my one and only missing game plastic.
Could not be happier finally having my game complete.

#644 7 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Nice. I need a couple of plastics for my Spiderman but I'm not shelling out for a full set. It's easier to get plastics for 30 year old games than it is for modern Sterns.

#645 7 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Pinside kicks as$ most of the time. Just don't pay attention to the overly negative reactions to any new release's artwork lol.

Lermods, way to go, the details matter and add up.

3 weeks later
1 week later
#647 6 years ago

Stoked to be in the club at last! Put in candy blue poly rings and red flipper bats, Cointaker LEDs and led OCD for starters.

Screenshot_20170528-111456 (resized).pngScreenshot_20170528-111456 (resized).png

#648 6 years ago

I should know this but how can I get the call outs louder (not the music)?

#649 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I should know this but how can I get the call outs louder (not the music)?

Yes, you should Rai
Game specific adjustments. Right at the end, music volume, speech volume. The number is an attenuation measure so is backwards. Negative is louder.

#650 6 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Yes, you should Rai
Game specific adjustments. Right at the end, music volume, speech volume. The number is an attenuation measure so is backwards. Negative is louder.

Can only see music adjustment (standard adjustable #47)

There is no negative 1-15 (1 is default)

No matter what the speech seems to be quite than the music.

What should make the speech louder 1 or 15?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Lombard, IL
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 25.95
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

There are 2,516 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 51.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/club-spidey-members-and-guests-welcome/page/13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.