(Topic ID: 17985)

----STERN X-MEN PINBALL OFFICIAL RELEASE!!!

By Gexchange

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 537 posts
  • 144 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by badbilly27
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

XMenLEWolv-3upb.JPG
XMenPro-3up_with_BG.JPG
(bw)_XMenLEWolv-Right.dark.jpg
nightcrawler-Exclamation.gif
screen-capture.png
tron_damage.jpg
XMenLEWolv-Right.chrome.JPG
XMenLEWolv-blue-chrome.jpg
XMenLEWolv-Chrome1.jpg
cyclops09.gif
xmencable-ahvb.gif
image-23.jpg
valkilmericeman[1].jpg
X-Men_Games_Feature_Matrix_6.06.12.pdf (PDF preview)
xmenle.jpg
stargate.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider drano.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#191 11 years ago

Wow,
I got here a little late but, after a bit of excitement and some dissapointment, then reading others reactions, here's my take.

I got the Wolverine LE and the art looks good to me... I actually prefer it to the pro (except on the backbox). There's no villian, but plenty of characters. The blue trim puts me off a bit and I think chrome on the wolverine version would go great to match with his claws all over the place... maybe leave on the blue legs... dunno?

Look closely and you'll see the LE spinner has some very small black circular slits cut into it where the pro does not. I'm guessing a ball trap of some sort comes up while it spins (the mech in the promo video) and it drops to release?

Looks like I was right about the crossing element on the CAD file being the moving ramp... wish I wasn't Looks a bit clunky, but I like some variety. It might be cool?

Magneto figure looks okay to me. He's in a good spot for his size and I think the wide angle photography used is also exaggerating the figures a bit.
The half-wolverine is way too much IMO and I would totally try and replace him with a smaller and more "full body" figure if possible. Does anyone know if the figure itself gets bashed or just some target underneath it? The bust posted earlier would be an awesome replacement but probably too brittle if this thing is meant to take a beating.

Wolverine backglass is okay by me too. Not sure if I would change it.

And I agree, 3D nightcrawlers would have been far better. I like the troll modes on my MM and they offer some cool variety... but this just looks cheap. I was expecting more with these "custom toys".

#216 11 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

What do you think the notches are about in the moving ramp? Just for weight savings?

Most likley. Too bad that ramp couldn't be plastic!

#319 11 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

And why are people so worried about wear on these pop ups, but I have never heard anyone concerned about the same thing on MM playfields? How is it any different? They put Mylar around MM troll holes, and they will surely do the same here.

To be fair Gambit, you know that MM trolls have thin flaps that are oversized to cover the holes when they are down. This doesn't look like that. When Nightcrawler is down, there is going to be a gap (no matter how small) and those edges will likely be prone to wear. It's just another example of Stern not going that extra mile to do something right IMO.

#359 11 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

Speaking of which, there is mention of a diverter behind Magneto on the spreadsheet of features. Can anyone elaborate on this?

Back on the CAD drawing you could see that the upper flipper would shoot an inner loop to the right of the Xavier ramp and this Magneto diverter will send balls to rest on that inner column underneath his figure. Eventually the two pins drop and release these locked balls into the magnetic spinner.

Quoted from badbilly27:

No inside scoop on this but I think the ramp just moves and returns the ball to you at different places in a mode and likely you control with flippers to set up next shot. I doubt a moving ramp will touch the playfield based on how it looks designed. Sounds cool to me. Iceman builds a ramp to help you!

There was talk early on that the ramp would be user controlled. Since there aren't any extra buttons to divert, like on TS, I would guess that you use the left flipper to force the ramp over on a right ramp shot to bring it left... possibly for repeated right ramp shots on some mode. Maybe you don't always make it and the ball drops to the playfield?

#374 11 years ago

Just looking back at these PF pics I'm counting 9 key shots if you count the wolverine bash toy. That's pretty impressive in a standard sized cabinet! It's a modified fan playfield but my MM in comparison has 8 shots and my IJ is a widebody and has just 7!
The only other game I own with that many shots and no upper playfield is TAF... and it has four flippers!
As a result I think this is going to be an extremely tight shooting pin geared to the more skilled player. Not sure how it will do on location?

#381 11 years ago

Sadly, I haven't seen anything exciting from Stern in the rule-set department for a long time.
If there's one knock on Tron it's the super-basic achievement ladder and basic modes.

From the inserts, XM seems like more of the same.

I really want me some good old-time mode pinball like IJ or TAF. Why can't people write rulesets and fun modes like that?

#383 11 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

Drano - you in on this one?

For now, yes. Wolverine LE.

#386 11 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Can't wait to see vid of gameplay!

If I was GS I would do this sooner than later. If this thing plays as good as everyone at Stern says, a vid would go a long way towards squashing much of the bashing these pics are taking.

#418 11 years ago
Quoted from mrbillishere:

I thought the swap out for TRON LE's side armor was a good suggestion. Here's another 'don't quit your day job' type attempt. Didn't quite get it perfect, but it's late, gotta say good enough.

Not too shabby.

Nice work on the chrome! This was my first instinct when I saw those pics. The claws and all the grey in the wolverine LE artwork really scream for this trim package. I was on the fence about keeping my pre-order. This helps a bit... Although that's more money I'd have to throw into this pin!
Now if only a reasonable mod for the night crawler and wolverine figures could be found, this pin would be awesome!

#421 11 years ago

I'm guessing they'd just remove it for the LE.

#439 11 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Is it just me but here we have an $8000 game and we have talk of changing rails/figures etc etc.........hmmmm, what do you make of that??

This is seriously putting me on the fence as well. An $8K game should be perfect; not require another $500-$750 in parts and mods to get it right.

#454 11 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

After market modding is part of the fun. I don't think it is reasonable for Stern to do fully custom pins to everyones requirements, although that would be awesome...

You're right. This is just an opinion of course. Many people love it as-is. I'm coming from a creative background and it's entirely possible I'm just being way too critical... but it's becasue I was so excited for this release.
I guess I just hoped, with the announcement of custom toys and such, that they would have been a little more well executed.
Modding is fun, but it should not feel almost necessary on an expensive premium game. How many people are modding their ACDC LE's?

#492 11 years ago
Quoted from toyboy6:

How exactly does the spinning magnet on the LE work? Does the playfield have a spinner on top, or does the magnet core rotate? If the rotation mechanism is below the playfield, could it be added to the Pro?

Scott

my guess is metal fins come up through those slits and trap the balls as they spin. When it drops, the balls probably release???

It seems like something that could be added, but the code might be different and not support the extra features.

#521 11 years ago

I'm pretty confident what you see is what you'll get. I would not hold my breath for subway ramps and other features not already shown. This game is as good as in production.

I'm surprised so many people are worried babout the art. That would be the least of my concerns wit this pin. I think all the art packages are well done.

#533 11 years ago
Quoted from BriGuy5:

I guess you have some tie in's with someone? What I want to see are multiball modes with objectives. LOTR does this very, very well. It's not just a flailing fest hitting every possible shot that are always lit, it's about hitting 1 or 2 lit shots in a sequence, or concentrating on one part of the playfield, of after you hit a shot, it goes out until you fulfill the rest of the shots. This is what I'm hoping for.

I'm the same way. I love mode-based rule sets, but not when they seem to have pointless and repetitive objectives.
I always go back to games like IJ and TAF that used different parts of the playfield and specific targets and objectives that really felt like part of the theme. I haven't seen anything like that from Stern in a very long time.
I wish I knew which way XM was going. From the inserts I'm guessing it's a lot closer to how Tron works.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider drano.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-stern-x-men-pinball-official-release?tu=drano and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.