(Topic ID: 230776)

Young people and pinball

By Davidus56

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D2E981DB-46F0-4AD7-A233-509E6A80F94A (resized).jpeg
    D552AF06-7A21-4592-A7D4-A64C2AF34072 (resized).jpeg
    F8C1CF3F-F5D1-420B-AC34-C910CFC89466 (resized).jpeg
    9EDBD69F-356B-4889-8024-AD384B33F3E8 (resized).jpeg
    9A782140-50A2-4538-A11A-5CD40A60F142 (resized).jpeg
    01AD3795-7CB8-47A0-A768-A27E3C762570 (resized).jpeg
    Resized_20170918_212637_2910 (resized).jpeg
    20170919_133642 (resized).jpg
    2od7y5 (resized).jpg
    20180810_152112 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1599 (resized).jpeg
    h5fe9zvcmel01 (resized).jpg
    gsons118 (resized).jpg
    46546D5A-44B6-4C06-8E8C-A00BBC8E64A9 (resized).jpeg
    F2DE84D4-0BD3-4845-819B-FD39736E24E1 (resized).jpeg
    64626CB1-A874-4371-B7D1-0B78E4F4A076 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider medisinyl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Nope, pinball will peak, then decline as pinheads move to senior condos and die.
    Sure there is a kid here or there that plays pinball, but not enough to sustain today's enthusiasm.
    Look in any arcade. 10 kids playing DDR, 0 kids on the pins.

While this isn't necessarily far off of reality, I have indeed been surprised by very young kids that seriously enjoy pinball and retro (Atari/NES) gaming. It was an arcade in Jacksonville that had very young kids talking about such retro games with in depth knowledge (I had over 400 NES/Famicom games myself at one point), as well as a group of kids that were heavily interested only in pinball...one kid (12 yo?) in that group roared toward the ceiling, "Oh my God!, I am SO HARD to play some Mario pinball right now!" -- Now if young kids can get THAT excited about a Gottlieb, then perhaps the future isn't so dark after all

Quoted from KozMckPinball:

That's what they said in 1999/2000.

And for what it's worth--I was 14/15 then and had no idea I'd ever collect pinball machines.

#64 5 years ago
    Quoted from dondon4720:

I think a lot comes down to priorities in affordability as well, video games are cheap at $60 I myself at 23 would love to spend money on a pinball machine but at this point in my life it would be hard with barely scraping by when it comes to bills and trying to afford just living

Yep.

I'm 33 and my girlfriend is 25 (she liked pinball before I met her). Our friends are ~20-38 years old and several have said that the first thing they'd buy if they could afford it would be a pinball machine (not necessarily advised, but said nonetheless). The interest is there, but I'm not sure I have any close friends that could afford even a $2k range game (I can however foresee multiple being able to afford machines in the next few years as they enter their mid 30s [with their current jobs]). The last girl I was with was working at a Law Office in Orlando before we moved to Gainesville. It took her about 20 interviews over 6+ months to finally get a job that would pay her just $15/hr at 32 years old (less than the Orlando job of course). I have a friend here in his 30s that was excited to get a dirty job that paid $11/hr (after a couple years of school to get certified). I have no idea how someone can even survive off that, but it's the reality for many in my age group.

I used to collect MtG cards (since '95) and travel for tournaments. Selling two decades worth of collecting funded much of my pinball collection (hard to realize how much is accumulated over that time when crammed into binders and boxes). Now I travel to pinball events

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

There is a bubble in general, but I don't think it will be utterly devastating when it inevitably pops. If anything we need the bubble to pop to drive prices back down. (Start dying off you hoarders ) It's an expensive hobby in general, and most newcomers get scared off by the sticker shock when they search "pinball machine for sale."
    The people who are most into the hobby right now are the people who benefited most when it wasn't hard to get a great game for under $500 and most A-tier games prices were topping out at $3,000. Younger generations carry a lot more debt than previous generations (student loans and such), so I'm curious what expendable income for millenials will look like in the future.
    The number of young players now will have drastic ramifications in the future when there is an inevitable glut well-maintained machines. Pinball games used to be tossed out all the time; now they're taken care of like defenseless babies.
    I think the number of profitable and viable locations for operating machines is dwindling and younger generations are anemic to carrying around change. It's not a competition for people's money; it's a competition for people's attention. Getting games in front of people is more difficult than ever before, and there is a fine balancing act of making games appeal to all skill levels.

Pinball Arcade is what ultimately dragged me into the physical side of the hobby, almost immediately getting TPF tickets after discovering it (so not too hard to spark interest without a physical machine), and yes, I thought prices were crazy and that I'd NEVER spend over $3k on a pinball machine. Boy was I wrong, haha.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider medisinyl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/young-people-and-pinball?tu=medisinyl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.