(Topic ID: 80089)

WTB - WWF Royal Rumble in MI, OH, IN....

By Solach

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by whisper
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sosage.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from Boise_D:

Is it? I had never heard of it before I saw the craigslist ad. The theme does nothing for me either, but it seems like a good price.

The theme is the only thing that has held this game down. If you had asked me two years ago I would have told you it is one of the more criminally underrated DMD pins out there. Fortunately, the game has had a resurgence lately thanks to Pinside.

The gameplay itself: it is one of the more clever designs in the Data East line up. 9 base modes, not counting Royal Rumble Wizard mode, Royal Rumble multiball (confusing that they are both named the same thing), and Macho Madness. Lighting modes, selecting modes, and starting multiball utilize three main shots in different ways, which promotes strategic efficient shooting. Main multiball mode is clever (add-a-ball is a countdown just like the countdown for the next wrestler in a Royal Rumble match...but if you cradle or hold a flipper up the counter freezes). Upper playfield is one of the better designed "alternate" playfields in pinball. It gets utilized a lot for several different things. Can also be pretty unbalanced rules wise if set to default (you can create massive jackpots in multiball utilizing the upper PF and staged flipping). Setting it to something like PAPA ruleset will rebalance that.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

I'm not sure I understand this statement since WWF is an incredibly popular thing even today. It's not like it's something of the past liked by a small, nitch crowd or something, right? They're still raking in billions a year!

I personally don't have an issue with the theme. I'm a pretty big fan of the 80's and early 90's era of wrestling.

With that said, I run into a LOT of pinball people who find the theme embarrassing. There was a thread just on pinside trolling people to explain wrestling with some undertones of making fun of people who enjoy it. There are a couple of instances online (pretty sure on Pinside) where people have said they would not pull the trigger on owning a WWFRR specifically because of the theme.

I mean, we really can't sit here and pretend that there is no unfair social stigma to having a machine with Hulk Hogan plastered all over it. This is a game where I see people constantly having to explain themselves for owning primarily because of the wrestling aspect (and I've gotten my share of prejudice, condescending looks when I mention owning one). I really feel this is why the game has remained one of the cheaper DMD games (if not Data East DMD games) and until recently, very underrated...because the game design is very solid.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sosage.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-wwf-royal-rumble-in-mi?tu=sosage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.