• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by gorgar007
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Edit: reworded

I'm in the middle of a complete AFM re-wiring. I have left the cabinet wiring in tact but I'm in the process of re-wiring the playfield. While testing the playfield lamps, I noticed that the last lamp in a row will flash along with any lamp that I test within that row.

This is particularly interesting with Lamp 88 (start button). I can remove the wiring harness for the playfield wiring and experience the flashing lamp issue with lamp 88 when I test say lamp 28 or 38.

It seems like the entire column 8 is live, all the time.

If I test any of the column 8 lamps individually, they test fine.

#2 11 years ago

bump - still no luck. Even with the playfield unplugged the start button will flash when I test any bulb on its row.

Could this be a bad chip?

#3 11 years ago

What game are you wiring?

#4 11 years ago

AFM. The boards were previously wired for NBA FB.

#5 11 years ago

I had this same issue with my junkyard pin. It was the column transistor that was shorted. So anytime a row would light, the corresponding bulb in the faulty column would light when it wasn't supposed to.

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/3781/Bally_1995_Attack_from_Mars_Operations_Manual_FINAL.pdf

Check the second to last page here. My guess is that the Q97 transistor is shorted (on the driver board). Ohm it out from all pins to each other, and the ohm the others around it and compare, that's how I found mine was bad.

I believe this is the correct transistor you need, but don't quote me, you might want to double check.

Hope this helps!

#6 11 years ago

I second this. Looks like Q97 is the likely suspect. You could swap two wires in J121. If you yank the wire in pin 9 and the wire in pin 7 and swap them. Then when you turn on lamps in col 7, the col 8 lamps will light. If the problem moves to the new lamps you know it's the board but if it stays on the start button then you know it's the wiring.

#7 11 years ago

Thanks guys! I'm still learning about these boards and was not aware of the transistor references.

I just swapped pin 9 and 7. Now the lamps all trigger the lamp in column 7 as expected. Swapped them back, and they trigger the lamp in row 8 again.

For the record - the start button has its own dedicated column lamp wire coming from J122.

Can I assume shorted means it needs replacement as far as transistors go?

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from gorgar007:

Can I assume shorted means it needs replacement as far as transistors go?

Yes. Just replace it. It's cheap and it's most likely the problem. You can also get a WPC kit that has a bunch of good stuff in it.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/WPC-SEMI

#9 11 years ago

Thanks to both of you for the responses. I've ordered the kit, will replace the part and update this thread with the result.

1 month later
#10 11 years ago

Update: Problem was definitely the Q97. I sent the boards to Clive and they're now working wonderfully.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 21.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Boards
PinSound

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc95-lamp-matrix-column-8-always-hot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.