(Topic ID: 325166)

WPC rom Type?

By slochar

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

soniam (resized).png
    #1 1 year ago

WPC games seem to have a 'type' of rom of the list: (H,A,X,G,F,B,R)

H=home, A=domestic (usa/american) - X=export - not sure what 'G,F,B,R' would refer to. If you go by system 11 roms, G is likely 'German' and F is likely 'French'.

Some already use the 'B' designation (AFM 1.13B, and MB 1.06B), and AFAIK those aren't 'hacked' versions (it's literally a single byte difference in the rom, and the B was already present there, not something someone added).

Interestingly there was no P designation at least in the couple I looked at, for 'Prototype'. (Unless that's what the R would be for? To make it more dissimilar from F or B?)

Thoughts on GFBR meaning? Maybe an old Uncle Willy covered some of this and I've forgotten over the years.

Just curiosity's sake, but it's nice to know the minutiae.

#2 1 year ago

"P" - Preliminary. Like TZ's "P-2" version. Though that was dropped when they went to decimal versions - v0.9 was like a "P-3" version.

#3 1 year ago

So here's the source for system 11 type roms, would have no reason to think they didn't carry some of that over to WPC era.

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/Williams/tech/sys11roms.html

System 11 games have the software revision identified with either an "L" or "P" followed by a revision number, such as L-1 or P-1. The "L" signifies a production ("Level") release, while the "P" signifies a Prototype version of software. Sometimes contained within the revision label is a version identifier, such as LX-1 or LA-1. The possible version identifiers are the described below.

Not all versions exist for all games.

No suffix: Unrestricted. This version supports all text languages, can be priced for any country, and contains the custom pricing editor.

A: USA and Canada (domestic). This version does not contain the custom pricing editor, and does USA and Canada pricing modes only.

X: Export. This version contains the custom pricing editor, as well as the built-in pricing presets for all countries.

R: Regular. This version does all pricing modes, as well as the custom pricing editor, but does not contain French text.

F: France. This version is the same as the R version, with the addition of French text.

B: Belgium/Switzerland. This version contains French text, does not have the custom pricing editor, and does Belgium, Switzerland, and Canada pricing modes only.

G: Germany. This version contains support for special German functionality, such as German speech.

#4 1 year ago

Yes, but internally, P was 'Prelim' not 'Prototype'. At least, in the WPC era.
    I've never seen 'R' in the wild before, and in WPC era, I know that 'X' usually had some alternate handling of replay/EB percentages, as auto-adjusting usually wasn't allowed in some countries.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

I've never seen 'R' in the wild before.

Looks like IPDB has B and R versions available for Jack*Bot.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tuukka:

Looks like IPDB has B and R versions available for Jack*Bot.

Are those official releases, or home-made modifications/anti-ghost versions? IPDB doesn't have one of WMS's original release notes..

Obviously, anyone can 'make' a version with any letter in it, I'm assuming slochar was referring to official releases.

#7 1 year ago

Williams release note (http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/Williams/tech/roms/jackbot.html) says

Version 1.0
    Date: August 7, 1995
    U6: Checksum: 1D10 (R - Regular)
    Checksum: FA10 (B - Belgium/Canada)

This is the release of software for production.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tuukka:

Williams release note (http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/Williams/tech/roms/jackbot.html) says
    Version 1.0
    Date: August 7, 1995
    U6: Checksum: 1D10 (R - Regular)
    Checksum: FA10 (B - Belgium/Canada)
    This is the release of software for production.

Ah, good to know then..!

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

Are those official releases, or home-made modifications/anti-ghost versions? IPDB doesn't have one of WMS's original release notes..
    Obviously, anyone can 'make' a version with any letter in it, I'm assuming slochar was referring to official releases.

Yes, the revisions I posted are hard-coded in the OS (at least in the game I looked at). Wouldn't stop someone from changing an X to a G for ghosting, which isn't technically correct.

So far it's looking as though the system11 from planetary is carrying through. They probably didn't release French or German because that's embedded in the roms (language), but the designation might exist for the sound roms.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from slochar:

Yes, the revisions I posted are hard-coded in the OS (at least in the game I looked at). Wouldn't stop someone from changing an X to a G for ghosting, which isn't technically correct.

I've done some changed in WPC95, and was able to add whatever "letter" I wanted to to the version string. Jack*Bot is also WPC95. I admit, while I've messed a little with WPC89 (TZ), I never tried changing the letter there.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tuukka:

R - Regular
    B - Belgium/Canada

Belgians and Canadians:

soniam (resized).pngsoniam (resized).png

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-rom-type and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.