(Topic ID: 78318)

With Pat L joining JJP to make a third game how many people will cancel ....

By meSz

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 90 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by dgpinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

OneMIll.jpg
    There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 10 years ago
    Quoted from jarjarisgod:

We'll finally get that Addam's Family Values pin we've all been waiting for!

Thanksgiving Massacre Multiball!

#52 10 years ago

agree with the previous poster that an unlicensed them won't get as many orders out of the gate. Haunted House..........pass. Personally I think we're missing a pin with some simply "fun-ness" to it. NGG, FT, WH2O style. I want something with fun call outs where it doesn't matter that the person voicing the call out doesn't match the voice in the movie.

Also - why cancel anything. JJP3 won't be released until 2015 then will take 6 months to fill the pipe. Might not see the game until 3rd quarter 2015 if you're interested. Lots can happen between now and then.

I am interested to see what this much new product does to prices though. Just has to impact the classics at some point. And I'm not even talking A titles. Whats this going to do to B titles, and games in non collector quality. And it is true that at some point with 2 titles to come from JJP, Stern's 2 titles (minimum) annually, and PPS set to go that at some point they will cannibalize themselves or each other.

Does this not put things back where they were? Meaning games not even getting fully explored and production runs stop and on to the next. Wasn't MM deemed unsuccessful at first or its success could not be gauged so the run was completed and on to something else??

#53 10 years ago
    Quoted from Hobbypinball:

Wasn't MM deemed unsuccessful at first or its success could not be gauged so the run was completed and on to something else??

As I understand, MM was well received out of the gate. It's Lawlor who was influential in cutting its production run short to get his NGG on the production line. A better example might be CV which didn't sell well initially yet went on to become popular years later.

#54 10 years ago

I am still excited about MMR, but, man... I secretly rejoice when a new pin is announced (e.g., Mustang) that I know won't interest me. Great times for pinball, but those of us who are not independently wealthy face more hard choices than we did a year or two ago. That, and the prices keep going up.

#55 10 years ago

I don't think it will have a huge impact right now. Maybe when more info emerges. I'm excited because a lot of Pat's games are very creatively designed. I love a fan layout and flow, but I also like variety. My opinion is that being at JJP will free him up. Perhaps with a bigger budget to work from we will see some very special/unique things that he could not do at stern.

#56 10 years ago

With the Epic announcement from JJP , The money I have been saving is going towards spooky's game .

#57 10 years ago

SInce there are no specific details on game #3 from Pat, it's hard to know whether that is the machine to buy.

#58 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pindog:

SInce there are no specific details on game #3 from Pat, it's hard to know whether that is the machine to buy.

Since their current game is now $9,000 , It's safe to assume that their 3rd game will be 10k by the time it;s released.
    Pretty easy choice to know that this game will not be the machine to buy when you have so many other options for so much cheaper .

#59 10 years ago

No chance of me canceling my Hobbit, but I may have to sell wife for the third game.

#60 10 years ago

Well if it isn't Addams Family Values it will probably be Very Good Gophers

#61 10 years ago

Pat Lawlor making pinball again. WIN WIN.

Welcome back Pat. Very good news.

#62 10 years ago

*edit* nvm..misread.

#63 10 years ago

I was planning on selling a game of mine and picking up a new Star Trek but after the Pat Lawlor announcement I'll be getting that game instead. I wish I had more money to spend on NIB machines but I have to carefully pick and choose. NIB for this year will be The Hobbit LE and in 2015 whatever the machine that Pat designs.

The only thing that would stop me from buying Pat's game is the price. I just can't see spending more then $7.5k on a pinball machine. Even $7.5k seems crazy to me, haha.

#64 10 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Even $7.5k seems crazy to me, haha.

It is crazy, we are all crazy and if "we weren't all crazy we might go insane"

#66 10 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

Why limit it to those titles? There might be some ppl that cancel their WoZ's as well...
    But the simple truth is this new game may be YEARS away....
    I cant wait to see it though.
    Lawlor + Widebody(assumption) + bigger budget + original theme = epic POTENTIAL.

ROAD SHOW

#67 10 years ago

which is pretty epic by most accounts... Just designed with the operator in mind and many home collectors are turned off by the idea of doing a buy-in for an extra ball so they can get farther in the game (which was the intent on route).

#68 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

which is pretty epic by most accounts... Just designed with the operator in mind and many home collectors are turned off by the idea of doing a buy-in for an extra ball so they can get farther in the game (which was the intent on route).

Look, I like RS. But, "pretty epic by most accounts"????? I've never heard it described as "epic" by ANY account.

It is sitting at 41 on Pinside 100. Under BDK and nosing out Champion Pub and World Cup Soccer by a hair.

And the buy in in not remotely unique to RS. Many games have extra ball buy ins to get farther in the game...AFM, TOM, STTNG, TZ, IJ to name a few. But if ops liked the buy in, all games would have it

#69 10 years ago

RS is very unique with the buy-in because the game was designed in a linear fashion where the player would likely NEED to buy in to see more of the game. VERY different from other buy-in features IMHO.

RS actually is pretty epic by my account. Amazing variety of shots, 2 talking heads, 4 well used and placed flippers for unique shot layout, hidden standups where often not flipping is the best choice, good skill shot on both right and left of pf, tough game but approachable for new people, great multiball and tough 2 part reset for jackpot... should I go on?

#70 10 years ago

He was to make timeshock into a real table via a kickstarter but failed to reach goal so perhaps that is the title ready to be made. A far out guess but who knows given the current state of pinball, anything is possible.

#71 10 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

He was to make timeshock into a real table via a kickstarter but failed to reach goal so perhaps that is the title ready to be made. A far out guess but who knows given the current state of pinball, anything is possible.

Would rather see Big Race USA made into a real table, but timeshock would get my money, too!

#72 10 years ago

I'm just really looking forward to what game 7 or maybey 18 or 29 are like, once JJP gets some real experience making the games they could really be EPIC!

Can't wait!

#73 10 years ago

I cancelled my MMR several weeks ago in anticipation of just this probability. So count me as one. I realized I want a new pin to play and that was not MMR. It could have been ST (that game plays sweet and might be Ritchie's best), but now with Pat back in the game I've got a slot warming up for his game. I've always loved Lawlor games, and I have a feeling he will turn out something to try to top everything done in recent memory.

It all comes down to game slots. We each have only so many. Slots are more limiting than cash for many of us.

#74 10 years ago
    Quoted from heckheck:

I cancelled my MMR several weeks ago in anticipation of just this probability.

I think that is smart… if you can only do one support the new stuff.

#75 10 years ago

I'm not pre-ordering anything or cancelling anything.

I'll wait until the game is finished, the code is finished, I've had a chance to play it and I can buy it at a regular distributor.

$ 9,000 is just too much to hang in the wind.

#76 10 years ago

No way would I cancel MMR. I'm excited for the announcement, but aren't people waiting almost 3 years for their WOZ yet? Personally those people waiting for their WOZ should get the 75th anniversary version at no additional cost if they choose it. After all didn't they fund the company in the first place? Just an opinion

#77 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

RS is very unique with the buy-in because the game was designed in a linear fashion where the player would likely NEED to buy in to see more of the game. VERY different from other buy-in features IMHO.
    RS actually is pretty epic by my account. Amazing variety of shots, 2 talking heads, 4 well used and placed flippers for unique shot layout, hidden standups where often not flipping is the best choice, good skill shot on both right and left of pf, tough game but approachable for new people, great multiball and tough 2 part reset for jackpot... should I go on?

I agree...RS is awesome.

#78 10 years ago

I'll be keeping my Hobbit pre-order, will wait and see just like everyone else on what the theme for the Lawlor game will be. I don't have any problem putting down a small deposit when the time comes, but I'm probably out on doing the payment plan again, I think that ship has sailed.

#79 10 years ago

Why preorder?

Don't see the attraction anymore when mass produced.

#80 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinstor12:

Why preorder?
    Don't see the attraction anymore when mass produced.

What helped JJP convice those who had WoZECLE on order to also order TH was the "you have just two weeks to place your $500.00 down payment to secure the same game number like your WoZ. Otherwise the game number will be released for any schlep to buy ($500.00 due NOW) A lot of WoZ owners took the bait.

I wonder if JJP will try the same thing with the "PL" pin?

#81 10 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I wonder if JJP will try the same thing with the "PL" pin?

Why not? It's worked for the first two. And honestly, to save some money up front with a refundable deposit, take my money NOW!

#82 10 years ago
    Quoted from TaTa:

Why not? It's worked for the first two. And honestly, to save some money up front with a refundable deposit, take my money NOW!

#83 10 years ago

I love how everybody feels the need to tell everybody else how to spend their money

Cut and paste standard reply…..

Option 1 Pay with the payment plan OR

Option 2 Wait, play it, decide if you like it, then pay or not

Either way, it's your choice to do wtf you want to do with your own $$$

#84 10 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I love how everybody feels the need to tell everybody else how to spend their money

I mostly agree with you (media has been alerted), however, many of these threads begin with the OP ASKING others for advice on how to spend their money!

#85 10 years ago

Come on TeeKee

I was only making point here. That it's worth to throw down a few refundable/transferable deposits at any deal that piques your interest. Whether if it's to support a start-up company that you may believe in, a designer that's come out of retirement or to just save some dough up front. But, if they were to start taking orders now, many would be sending in deposit within minutes. IMOP

#86 10 years ago
    Quoted from TaTa:

Come on TeeKee
    I was only making point here.

and so was I…

#87 10 years ago

Funny how there is so much speculation and harsh words.

All you have to do is ask Jack and he will answer. The plan is to get away from Payments and that's with game 3.

Unless you want to do a layaway plan to budget your purchase, some of us like the idea. It allows me anyways to think ahead and buy a JJP game and a Stern game or some used games. Instead of a huge lump sum I can get a few games and it's easier attainable.

#88 10 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

I mostly agree with you (media has been alerted), however, many of these threads begin with the OP ASKING others for advice on how to spend their money!

Hmmm, good point! But usually not revolving around the payment plan or not. In or out, buy this or that.

If people need help on whether or not, once they make a decision to buy a pin, to choose Option 1 pmt plan or Option 2 wait and pay then I'd put that one in the "no hoper" category

#89 10 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

Funny how there is so much speculation and harsh words.
    All you have to do is ask Jack and he will answer. The plan is to get away from Payments and that's with game 3.
    Unless you want to do a layaway plan to budget your purchase, some of us like the idea. It allows me anyways to think ahead and buy a JJP game and a Stern game or some used games. Instead of a huge lump sum I can get a few games and it's easier attainable.

Manufacturing infrastructure and pinball platform should be vetted, stabilized and paid for by then. So game development should be quicker since the base platform is not being created from scratch anymore. That's not to say that unique rule development specific to the game will be quicker.

#90 10 years ago

Pre-Paying, or Pre-Ordering are simply options that appeal to some people, why others feel it necessary to crap on other people's choices is beyond me

Personally, the JJP payment plan worked perfectly for me and I felt like I was part of something very special with WOZ, and it just made sense to stick with it for The Hobbit. Sounds like it might not be an option for #3, which is fine, but I'd have no problem putting down a small refundable deposit to secure a spot and/or my # for the 3rd game. Then I can make my choice as more information becomes available.

There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/with-pat-l-joining-jjp-to-make-a-third-game-how-many-people-will-cancel/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.