• Latest reply 7 years ago by Gorgared
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2016-08-23 20.19.56 (resized).jpg
2016-08-23 20.19.41 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Gorgared.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

So I'm having a problem repairing a williams Rottendog board that came out of an Addams Family pin. The board was brand new and installed 4 or 5 months ago without any problems until now. Q82 drives the chair kickout coil and it's a 13n10L mosfet transistor, it blew for no apparent reason (I checked the coil, it was fine and then replaced it just to make sure). I replaced the transistor and the game ran fine for a week and then blew again (on location running for 80 hrs a week or so). So I replaced the transistor again and it was locked on as soon as I installed the board and powered up the game. Replaced it again to make sure I didn't mess it up and it's still locked on. So I threw a different williams board into the machine and it works just fine and has been working for a month now without any problems.

So it sat for a while and now I'm back to trying to fix this Rottendog board. The first thing I tried was installing an IRL540N instead of the 13n10L, which should be a bit stouter then the 13n. I also installed a new diode on the board even though I cut the leg and it tested fine. Locked on immediately. I checked the transistor after I installed it into the game and after it locked on and the transistor checks out okay with the meter. Just an FYI, I put as little heat into the transistor when installing them and put an alligator clip on the legs to keep the heat down as well and I use a static wrist strap to protect for ESD. I know mosfets can be sensitive to heat and static discharge.

So now I'm 99% sure the transistors are fine and something else must be causing the issue. Could U5 (I think U5 controls Q82, but I can't seem to find a Rottendog wiring diagram for this board)cause the transistor to turn on? Maybe the blown transistor damaged the chip? Could it be something further upstream that was damaged from the blown transistor causing the problem? Am I doing something wrong when I'm installing the transistors?

This has been bugging me for a while and I'd definitely like to get it figured out. Any help on what to replace or check next would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.2016-08-23 20.19.56 (resized).jpg2016-08-23 20.19.56 (resized).jpg

2016-08-23 20.19.41 (resized).jpg2016-08-23 20.19.41 (resized).jpg

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

I would contact Jim the owner of Rottendog for help with the repair. He may well ask you to send it in. He has been very helpful each time I have needed assistance.

That is probably what it will come down to if it's something easy that I can't fix myself. Good to hear he stands behind his products!

#4 7 years ago

Bump. Anyone else have any ideas on this?

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

If the diode that shunts the reverse voltage when the coil releases is not working, that can blow transistors. I'm not sure about mosfets, though.

Yeah, I replaced the diode already.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Lenticular Designs

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Brookfield, WI
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 1,059.00
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mesa, AZ

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Gorgared.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.