(Topic ID: 80168)

Who's on First? (Gottlieb Baseball Tech...)

By pinster68

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Polonius
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Hus on first.jpg
Baseball_A_Relay.jpg
IMG_9458.jpg
IMG_9457.jpg
IMG_9454.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinster68.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

My 1970 GTB Baseball needs help. Man of first is frequently awarded without being earned. This thread should be titled "Why is a man on first?"

Anyhoo, First, Second, Third and Home Run relays work just fine. The problem is when a double, triple or home run is earned, a man appears on first. For a home run the man on first may disappear (and is scored), but quickly appears again. This is happening maybe 75% of the time.

Any assistance appreciated.

Brian

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Did this just start happening, or has it always been like this?
(Might consider adding Gottlieb Baseball to the thread title...)

Done...

To answer your question ... It's likely been doing it since I picked it up a couple of years ago ... but it was at my father-in-law's place since the beginning and I don't think he noticed. It's now at my place and I want to fix it up.

So about some ideas on a fix ... ?

1 week later
#6 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

The "Man on 1st" light is controlled by a switch on the "Man on First" relay (the 'A') relay. This switch is normally open, and is wired YEL-RED on one side, and OR on the other (yellow-red, and orange).
This is an interlock switch, so should latch when the "1st" target or rollover are made, and should unlatch when the reset coil ('AR') is energized (via the "Hit" unit).
So one thing to check is whether the 'A' relay is unlatching when the runs are scored, and if it is unlatching, that the switch for the light is opening.

I had checked this and operation appears "normal". I can manually operate the switch and observe the light going on and off. If I trip a "single" switch the "man on 1st" relay fires and the light lights. However, frequently but not always when I trip the double, triple or home run (which should trip (or leave) the man on first to open) it closes the switch and a man appears back on first. Hope that makes sense.

Any additional advice appreciated.

Brian

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

So the 'A' relay is tripping (and latching again) when a double, triple, or home run is tripped?
But not consistently. If you block the "1st" standup and rollover switches (e.g. with a piece of business card or something), then does it still occur?
If you trip a double (or higher) without first tripping 1st, does it still occur?

Yes to questions 1 and 3.

Will have to try #2 tests. Makes sense ... If I block all single-scoring targets/rollovers I might be able to find the culprit. Maybe I have a switch set too sensitive. At least I think that's what you mean. Will check it out and report back.

Thanks!

Brian

#11 10 years ago

Yep ... seems like phantom behavior 101. Sometimes I overthink things. Heading out to the garage shortly with my morning coffee to dig in.

#12 10 years ago

No luck this morning. I checked all rollovers and stand ups for clearance - all good. The top-center rollover is close as there's two leads, so I blocked both but it didn't change things. Must be somewhere else in the circuit.

#14 10 years ago

Ok, so I blocked all of the "1st" targets, actuated each repeatedly to make sure there was no response. Did some under playfield jiggling to make sure there was no short by the switches. All good. Then I rang up a couple of homers and poof, man on first appears.

And for a visual ... here's a pic of all the switches blocked (both inlanes, the "1" standup, both vari-targets, and the "1" rollover up top).
IMG_9454.jpgIMG_9454.jpg

Then a quick test. No man on first. Note the score of 1,915.
IMG_9457.jpgIMG_9457.jpg

Hit two home runs by actuating the outlane switch (500 points each). And there's my man on first. Incidentally the same thing happens if I hit a triple or double, it's just easier to observe with the homer as it should clear all the bases.
IMG_9458.jpgIMG_9458.jpg

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

And at the point when the man on first lights, the 'A' relay has indeed tripped and is latched? (despite all the "1st" scoring switches being blocked.)

Correct, the A relay is indeed tripped. I watch it as I'm triggering the home run switch. Sometimes it fires, other times it doesn't.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Hmm. So maybe the next thing to do is start looking for shorts on the "backside" of the switches for the "1st" scoring (e.g., back tabs touching too closely, stray wire or solder).

Already done. I looked real close at each. I thought I found one (a short that is) ... but it ended up not changing the behavior.

How does the reset mechanism work? I mean when you hit a home run, what relays/circuits are responsible for clearing all of the bases? Or what sequence of events would fire to make it all happen? Sorry if that's asking a lot, just need to understand what I should see.

Thanks,

Brian

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Have you been able to observe the 'A' relay while the runs are scored and see what it does? When it doesn't work correctly, does it look like the 'A' relay "pulses" briefly but then stays latched?

Actually yes ... it does look like it pulses very lightly, but stays latched. I'll try adjusting and see if that makes a difference. Good point here...

Brian

#22 10 years ago

I cleaned it pretty good. Doesn't appear to be hanging up at all.

I just shot a video and posted it to YouTube. This shows the frustrating behavior perfectly. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Brian

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

Brian....your in good hands for sure w/dirt! I would try adjusting the latch stop(bent metal 'tang')that metal actuator plate hits...close it in more so that plate can't travel as high 'up' on the other plate....looks quite open. Hope that makes sense to you, if not post back. Looks like you have those plates nice and clean too...yes? They can hang up against each other to wreak havoc.

Hey Russ, good to hear from you.

It was originally set tighter so the "tang" was right near the end. I set it further up to permit more travel before tripping.

I just can't figure out why it energizes some times, and other times just lightly pulses.

#28 10 years ago

Checking back in. The good news is that it's happening less ... the bad news is that I'm not sure why.

I cleaned and adjusted the A relay 'tangs' on Saturday, and yesterday just went through a series of tests activating the T,D & E relays. No other adjustments.

Nonetheless the behavior does appear tied to the A & E relays, and I was able to get some good games in yesterday with minimal phantom first-base awards.

Maybe it's time to clean all of the contacts in both relays. I would think it may be related to a dirty normally closed contact (versus a gapping issue).

Thanks again for all your help guys.

Brian

1 month later
#34 10 years ago

Yeah, more or less the problem is gone. Every so often you get a free guy on first, but it's far less frequent. I played a dozen games last night and had one of those "what were you thinking!?" Moments. Not sure I want to sell ... and at this point with little or no bites I'd say it's a keeper. I'm out of space though so might have to look at trades. No EM love in the world....

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinster68.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whos-on-first?tu=pinster68 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.