(Topic ID: 92826)

Who owns or builds Virtual pins? i need some answers!!

By LouisXV

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 55 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by SadSack
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC03694.jpg
    DSC03690.jpg
    IMG1.JPG
    IMG_0471.jpg
    images.jpeg
    image-573.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider boogies.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 9 years ago

Mine took me about 9 months to finish. Some parts come from all of the world adding to the build time. In reality, if I had ALL parts on hand, and I didn't have any issue, I might've been able to finish within 3 weeks (full time). That's basically impossible since I'm building a prototype machine. Manufacturers should be able to minimize this time, by reproducing the existing design.
    I spent about 5.5k on mine.

The RGB light bar above the PF monitor took a $#!T load of time.
    Imagine going back and fourth to every hardware store with 20 miles looking for the perfect bar. Once bought, measuring out the 7 locations for the RGB's, marking them, then drilling 42 wire holes in a bar.
    Follow that up with using a grinder to cut it to length and make a diamond plate pattern on it. Once that's done epoxy the RGB's and wait for them to dry. Now, solder 42 wires onto those chips. Then you gotta solder 21 resistors, heat shrink them, add the bulb covers, etc...
    All that most people see is "Bling" , but I remember the pain

Expect to have a "work area" that will start to consume a larger and larger area, until you finish.
    If I had all parts available, with an assembly line - wiring was loomed (like Sterns factory), then it might seem like a piece of cake.

IMO, you can't find one as nice as mine commercially. More directly, you can't buy a real cab commercially(45 degree mitered lock bit joints), let along a later model Widebody with all the accessories.
    The commercial places have there top of the line at around $7,500 and they are a business. You can't expect them to pay for an assembly line, warehouse or retail space to sell machines for a couple hundred bucks....

You reap what you sow:
    Waiting for wood filler to dry will take a day, then paint to dry will take a day. I could go on and on - but instead I'll spam ya with a long picture vid going over my previous build utilizing a F-14 cab.

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from mrbillishere:

If we have a standard-width WPC era cabinet in good condition, would that be OK for a starting point?

IMO, that's an awesome starting point. A 37" LCD can drop inside with minimal work. A 40" LED can fit with some trimming underneath the rails - beware that this will probably require the fatter, older style rails afterwards to cover the TV. I believe that Markmon using a 39" LED that can drop inside without the trimming - and that would look alot better than the 37".
    I am quoting what can be done, but you would have to verify your own measurements - obviously there is some risk involved. If you are thinking about doing it - take a look at my F-14 video log above in this thread. Your cabinet will have some similarities.

Quoted from cheezywhiz:

Curious.. do these new virtual pins support variable strength nudging

Yes, it is table dependent. I had a nano-tec controller that gave me such a bad taste for the variable strength that I completely gave up on it. I'm using mini-mercury switches that bump to activate

Quoted from cheezywhiz:

but the amount of nudge force is not variable and therefore not realistic

which is true for my setup - little bump = good bump. good bump = many good bumps (therefore not really variable)
    There are people that have had really good experiences with the sidewinder game pad - which allows for variable bumping.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider boogies.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-owns-or-builds-virtual-pins-i-need-some-answers?tu=boogies and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.