You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0746 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8235 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4993 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5609 (resized).jpg
DSCN8232 (resized).jpeg
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 months ago

So as a native Angelino, I’ve never had to worry about hurricanes or tropical storms. The news usually hypes these things up more than they really are. But my company said don’t come to work tomorrow and the governor just declared a state of emergency. I’ve got two young kids that have never experienced much more than inclement weather. The usual sounds of birds and animals that I generally don’t notice, are noticeably absent. The weather right now is cool but hot, humid but dry. It just feels weird.

#2 8 months ago

We have home in Temecula. Hoping all goes well today.

We're not there right now so We are concerned as just above San Diego.

#3 8 months ago

Light rain in Palm Desert. Just started the smoker. since I'll be home all day watching the storm I might as well smoke a brisket.

#4 8 months ago

I am on the East Coast, but the hyperbolic language, is typical of media and government types. The predictions of a catastrophic storm season for 2023 have yet to bear fruit, so any weather event that occurs, will garner max attention.

#5 8 months ago

Floridian here. Take it seriously. Even a high-end tropical storm can be downright scary and very damaging, and that's in a place where things are built for it.

#6 8 months ago

I guess the Baja peninsula doesn't have a lot of residents; but the news coverage reminds me of this The Onion video:

#7 8 months ago

Hopefully not a serious storm.

#8 8 months ago
Quoted from elcolonel:

I am on the East Coast, but the hyperbolic language, is typical of media and government types. The predictions of a catastrophic storm season for 2023 have yet to bear fruit, so any weather event that occurs, will garner max attention.

Better hyperbole than Lahaina “shrugs”.

#9 8 months ago

Yeah, I’m not sure what to expect. I live in the La Crescenta foothills…and when we get crazy rain, it just flows down the hill. We’ve had 60mph winds, and while it leaves a mess - I’ve never seen trees fall or too much damage. So…I’m not sure if that’s about what to expect or way worse? I think the mountain is far enough that we’d be safe from mudslides….but I don’t know! No ones really freaking out…I think if this was a danger zone, we’d be hearing more about it.

Good luck everyone!!!!

#10 8 months ago

As a 42 year resident of Florida, all I can say is stock up on beer!

#11 8 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yeah, I’m not sure what to expect. I live in the La Crescenta foothills…and when we get crazy rain, it just flows down the hill. We’ve had 60mph winds, and while it leaves a mess - I’ve never seen trees fall or too much damage. So…I’m not sure if that’s about what to expect or way worse

Forecast 2.66 inches rain in San Clemente was downgraded to 2.16 inches. We had that last season a few times. Wind from 28 to 35 mph. It's gonna cause problems in Palm Springs area as it will rain there more and the area always floods. The usual suspects like Highland will probably have problems. The only difference to me is Its August.

#12 8 months ago

LOL.

Everyone relax, get some beer, get your skateboards and garbage bag sails out. Get that kite out you haven't flown in awhile.

It's barely a storm

#13 8 months ago

So far it has been a normal rainy day, not even that much rain...

#14 8 months ago

Best wishes for all those in the path of this particular storm!

Hard to relax re: future weather extremes though as climate change isn't going away. That's becoming more obvious with every passing day.

#15 8 months ago

We were scheduled to land at LAX from the East Coast at 7:15pm tonight but changed flights to come back a day early.

Just put up a cool 2.5 billion on Godzilla and am now sitting in the sun room, watching baseball and listening to the rain.

No regrets about my decision. Stay strong neighborhood trees!!!

#16 8 months ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Best wishes for all those in the path of this particular storm!
Hard to relax re: future weather extremes though as climate change isn't going away. That's becoming more obvious with every passing day.

You are delusional. Hard to avoid the fantasy land wing nuts. It is summer in the US. The Southeast is dog hot(like summer in the Southeast has been for my 57 years on earth) and there are storms. This year is actually particularly NON THREATENING. Get worked up with every passing day..

#17 8 months ago
Quoted from elcolonel:

You are delusional. Hard to avoid the fantasy land wing nuts. It is summer in the US. The Southeast is dog hot(like summer in the Southeast has been for my 57 years on earth) and there are storms. This year is actually particularly NON THREATENING. Get worked up with every passing day..

Yeah ... sure.

Aye yi yi.

#19 8 months ago

Been mild for us so far. We prepared for it it be stronger just in case but wasn’t expecting a lot, and that’s been especially true as the storm has shifted east.

Loved adding an earthquake to the mix.

Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Climate change denial is too political for me to want to discuss it here.

But I’ll tell you what, the military and fossil fuel companies, the nominal “side” of many deniers, sure know it’s real.

#20 8 months ago

Man on the street reporting here.
I drove this morning all the way home from CAX, and it was quite the adventure!

Decided on the 101 winding shot instead of possible flooding on the 5/Grapevine.
Was a good call for the most part.
Even managed to hit Ojai right around when the earthquake hit.

I had a Ferrari pass me at 120 and was naturally pulled over a couple miles down the road.

Right around SLO it started to dump.
Saw around six accidents and a few center divider run-ins. As well as a Tesla model 3 somehow launching itself off the side of a berm. (Self driving rules! Right?!?)

Once Ventura came up it was dumping even harder and continued until Universal City.

Several deep puddle jumps and a few white outs from all the wheel spray and I finally got to the home stretch.

Came home to normal run of the mill rain and felt disappointed that my house wasn’t floating down the street like NorCal news was predicting earlier this AM. lol

Hope everyone else faired the same here in SoCal.

In CAX news,
Venom premium IS fast!

#22 8 months ago

So far it’s pretty tame, kinda what I had hoped. Just heavy rain, flowing away down the hill. Not even a ceiling leak so far (knock on wood). No real wind or thunder/lighting yet.

#23 8 months ago

It kind of says something when some rain gets us in Cali worried lol I was expecting a lot more of a storm because people were really hyping this up. I once drove through Oregon and I shit you not it was raining cats and dogs the entire time and people in Oregon were treating it like it was a normal day. Traffic pretty much crawls to a halt in Cali when it rains hard.

#24 8 months ago
Quoted from Thor_Odinson:

It kind of says something when some rain gets us in Cali worried

Even o-din’s rabbit knew it would be a big, fat, nothingburger…

DSCN8232 (resized).jpegDSCN8232 (resized).jpeg
#25 8 months ago

I’m from New Orleans. Y’all will be fine. Trust me. Go print out a hurricane recipe and have a hurricane party.

#26 8 months ago

So nothing out of the ordinary of a winter storm other than the fact that it was in august and the temp was in the high 70s. Growing up in L.A., we occasionally have summer thunderstorms. I can’t remember a summer storm that lasted more than an hour or so. This was an all day affair as far as rain goes, but the wind, which I was more worried about, is still relatively minor.

#27 8 months ago

Looked at My Cameras in Temecula and My Driveway looks dry? Palm trees not even moving.

And looked at pics of flooding in Baja and it's almost like I was right in the Eye of it?

#28 8 months ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Been mild for us so far. We prepared for it it be stronger just in case but wasn’t expecting a lot, and that’s been especially true as the storm has shifted east.
Loved adding an earthquake to the mix.

Climate change denial is too political for me to want to discuss it here.
But I’ll tell you what, the military and fossil fuel companies, the nominal “side” of many deniers, sure know it’s real.

90% of the "climate change " is controlled by the Sun.

#29 8 months ago
IMG_5609 (resized).jpgIMG_5609 (resized).jpg
#30 8 months ago

Yeah, it turned out to be a big nothingburger. In a complete overreaction L.A. Unified shut down all their campuses today. Thank god my kids aren’t in that school district. No day off here.

#31 8 months ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Yeah, it turned out to be a big nothingburger. In a complete overreaction L.A. Unified shut down all their campuses today. Thank god my kids aren’t in that school district. No day off here.

It's not an overreaction to keep the kids home for safety in the middle of a storm.

Weather prediction is never 100%, and from decades in FL, the worst happens when people decide to underestimate a storm and not be prepared. That's when lives are lost, and folks regret not taking things seriously. It sucks when it ends up being nothing, but it's better than the alternative.

#32 8 months ago

Aside from my legs and feet getting a little wet from going to the grocery store in shorts and sandals, it was pretty mild. But still, a nice change of pace from the dry heat we’ve been having the last month.

Edit: I will say, the drive in to work was nice. No traffic at all.

#33 8 months ago
Quoted from chad:

90% of the "climate change " is controlled by the Sun.

When I get sick I don't go to a physician to have the bad humors bled out of me because I believe in modern science instead of superstition and ignorance.

Climate change isn't Tinkerbell, it doesn't die if you just stop believing in it.

#34 8 months ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

It's not an overreaction to keep the kids home for safety in the middle of a storm.
Weather prediction is never 100%, and from decades in FL, the worst happens when people decide to underestimate a storm and not be prepared. That's when lives are lost, and folks regret not taking things seriously. It sucks when it ends up being nothing, but it's better than the alternative.

There are things you don't get to be wrong about.

The storm lost strength, but it might not have. It went east, and then it veered back west. As you said, prediction is never 100%, these systems are so enormously complicated. Modeling them is always hard.

Some areas saw legit flooding. There are roads that are dangerous. They're going to inspect the schools and find that some have water issues.

We prepped for strong winds. We didn't need to. So we wasted a morning putting furniture in our backyard away, and so what? Better to be prepped and not have anything happen than shrug and get a lawn chair through your window. I figured that was unlikely, but given how rare this is why pretend I really knew? Not like this has happened in my lifetime, what experience do I really have?

I think some people have a funny response when preparation wasn't as necessary as it could have been. Like, do you wish it was really bad? Would you feel better about preparing if your house did flood after all?

#35 8 months ago
Quoted from Aurich:

When I get sick I don't go to a physician to have the bad humors bled out of me because I believe in modern science instead of superstition and ignorance.
Climate change isn't Tinkerbell, it doesn't die if you just stop believing in it.

The science experts are all paid to deliver results. No emergency no funding. If you zoom out it makes me doubt a lot of them, the facts don’t add up for a lot of climate change or covid restrictions and care imo.

#36 8 months ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

The science experts are all paid to deliver results. No emergency no funding. If you zoom out it makes me doubt a lot of them, the facts don’t add up for a lot of climate change or covid restrictions and care imo.

You don't know many scientists then as literally that's not how they get "paid". That's what politicians love to say, yet of course then why are folks listening to the all so trustworthy politicians?

Yes listen to the politicians making millions off lobiest and special interest groups, but ignore the science out of universities by folks depending on grants to even be allowed to use fancy equipment and they aren't making a cent off of their research.

#37 8 months ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

Fair point, but what I’m saying is that the storm and any danger it might have brought has passed. Our school district basically said school is still on unless things take a turn for the worse. Every parent gets texts, emails, and automated phone calls in real time. LA Unified just shut it all down in a panic and are too big and bloated to pivot based on changing circumstances.

#38 8 months ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Nonsense. But they do tend to err on the side of caution when circumstances are unknown. The Covid school shutdowns turned out to be a mistake in hindsight. Covid wasn’t much of a threat to children nor did they tend to transmit it to adults very easily. The damage done to children being isolated during that stretch is hard to measure. But it was done because of the unknown. When the facts came in however, we were slow to adapt.

#39 8 months ago
Quoted from Aurich:

When was the last glacier in the Midwest?

Just sayin.

#40 8 months ago
Quoted from Methos:

When was the last glacier in the Midwest?
Just sayin.

What does that even mean? And can we all agree that the phrase “just sayin” should be retired from the English vernacular. I cringe every time someone uses it.

#41 8 months ago

I managed to find out who the crazy Ferrari driver was…
It was Dan Keller.
IMG_4993 (resized).jpegIMG_4993 (resized).jpeg

#42 8 months ago

Pinball companies can't even manage to get most of their games out with something leaking but there's a world wide conspiracy involving millions of people to scam ... climate change research money that has never come to light.

Climate change is real, it's been real, and it will keep being real. That doesn't mean SoCal will have hurricanes every year now. Or that there will be glaciers in the midwest, whatever that has to do with anything.

But we're likely to keep seeing more extreme weather than we're used to, and it's going to become the new normal that many people will just stop thinking about, because that's how human beings are wired.

#43 8 months ago

That’s not what o-din’s rabbit tells me Aurich…

DSCN8235 (resized).jpegDSCN8235 (resized).jpeg

#44 8 months ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Or that there will be glaciers in the midwest, whatever that has to do with anything.

There used to be and there are no longer. They disappeared and man had nothing to do with it. I think that is the point.

#45 8 months ago
Quoted from AlexF:

There used to be and there are no longer. They disappeared and man had nothing to do with it. I think that is the point.

Okay?

Is this a thing people in Wisconsin are hung up on for some reason?

#46 8 months ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Okay?
Is this a thing people in Wisconsin are hung up on for some reason?

We're all just ants on a rock man.

#47 8 months ago
Quoted from AlexF:

We're all just ants on a rock man.

Yet, we're the only ants on this rock with the capability of destroying the rock.

Oppenheimer. Worth a watch.

#48 8 months ago

We aren't destroying the "rock" just our ability to live on it.

#49 8 months ago
Quoted from psd4me:

Give us time, we just need to try harder.

#50 8 months ago
Quoted from psd4me:

I’m just saying - even the people who don’t believe in climate change can’t totally deny the fact that our actions have significant consequences. We can nuke the whole planet into oblivion. We’ve seen the coral reefs destroyed. We’ve seen the holes in the ozone layer. We’ve seen oil spills. We’ve seen Chernobyl. Just because we’re ants on a rock doesn’t mean we are incapable of extreme damage.

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-is-a-little-worried-about-hurricane-hilary and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.