(Topic ID: 96978)

Which game in your collection is the "Ugly Red Headed Stepchild"?

By schudel5

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by mwong168
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

translite_congo_pinball_williams_01.jpg
IMG-20130410-WA0010.jpg
IMAG0139.jpg
20140306_215609.jpg
#1 9 years ago

You know...the one that you are almost embarrassed to let people know you own because it's ugly.

For me it's Super Star. But this game has made me realize that it doesn't matter what a game looks like, but rather how fun it is. This game is fun! It's set up on AAB and a blast to play.

20140306_215609.jpg20140306_215609.jpg

#2 9 years ago

For me it's X-Files...It's not physically ugly, but most people in the know ask why I would own such a "terrible" game. Personally I'm a fan of the theme and enjoy the game. Especially if you can play one that's dialed in well and in decent shape.

#3 9 years ago

Super Star's art has its charms. I'd much rather have kitschy, bizarre original art than a soulless husk of licensing like Frankenstein. Just a boring collage of actors and brown.

#4 9 years ago

For me it was Congo... but I fixed it hopefully

IMAG0139.jpgIMAG0139.jpg IMG-20130410-WA0010.jpgIMG-20130410-WA0010.jpg
#5 9 years ago

Mine is my Funhouse, it is in painfully average player's condition when most of my other games are super nice condition games. Funhouse is one of my favorites and a forever keeper, I just want to get a restored MINT one someday. So it is just an ugly step child but not red-headed

#6 9 years ago

Popeye. All kinds of problems with it, but just don't want to let it go.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from TomN:

For me it's X-files...It's not physically ugly,

I'm glad someone likes it, but it's certainly not for me. Quite possibly the worst playfield "art" in pinball history. Cabinet looks like a homemade game. Translite is the least terrible part, but still plenty bad, a typical Sega actor collage. Only CSI has faces which are less excited to be on a pinball machine.

#8 9 years ago

Hurricane

#9 9 years ago

Not a pinnie but the question was about a game that's the ugly stepchild, sooooo gotta say it's my Atari Championship Sprint machine. The cabinet is as ugly as a hatfull of arseholes but i just love watching my mates trying to play it (drive corners like they are driving their cars) I keep telling them, you've gotta do the release/spin/grab technique to get around the corners

#10 9 years ago

Mr. and Ms. Pac Man. I really think it is an amazingly fun and under appreciated title. The first video mode in a pin!

People stare me down in confusion when I tell them it is my favorite early 80's Bally game screaming "Centaur and Fathom!"

#11 9 years ago

I guess RBION would have to be as most peole don;t like the looks of it; but I personally do. And the backglass is so bad it's good.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

For me it was Congo... but I fixed it hopefully

Sorry, but I despise that alternate translite. Nothing at all wrong with the original.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Nothing at all wrong with the original.

Man the original is fugly. Not even in a bad = good way like Shadow. Congo alternate is the only alternate I approve of, because it's so amazingly horrible it's an instant classic.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Man the original is fugly. Not even in a bad = good way like Shadow. Congo alternate is the only alternate I approve of, because it's so amazingly horrible it's an instant classic.

That replacement still looks worse than the original though, IMO.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from RazerX:

That replacement still looks worse than the original though, IMO.

I hear ya. I don't know why I like it...probably has something to do with the fact it looks like a 7 year old made it that makes me happy inside.

#17 9 years ago

I guess mine's gotta be DH. While I totally dig the gameplay, the PF art is among the fugliest. The artist totally mailed it in on the plastics too.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from RazerX:

I guess mine's gotta be DH. While I totally dig the gameplay, the PF art is among the fugliest. The artist totally mailed it in on the plastics too.

Mine grew on me a lot, just because the art is so diff'rent than other machines...but at first I felt the same way.
Plastics are pretty jenky.

#19 9 years ago

For me its Blackwater 100 I personally like it and think its fun but its a real bitch to keep it in good working order and virtually no replacement plastic parts (ramps) etc...are available , my girlfriend thinks I made a mistake buying it in the first place but ohhhhh well .... keeping them both for now lol

#20 9 years ago

Twister. In playing just one or two games, they've heard all the callouts and are tired of, "get underground now!"

#21 9 years ago

For the record, I didn't get the alternate translite to make the game look better. It was more for fun and not like it can't be undone. I originally was going to get this one made by the same person off ebay.

translite_congo_pinball_williams_01.jpgtranslite_congo_pinball_williams_01.jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-game-in-your-collection-is-the-ugly-red-headed-stepchild and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.