(Topic ID: 450)

What type/brand of solder should be used for switches??

By The_Dude_Abides

14 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 years ago by plugger
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 14 years ago

I know this is a basic question I just want to make sure I am the right track. Any suggestions on what type/brand of solder will work well when replacing switches. Any advise would be much appreciated!!

#2 14 years ago

Any normal SN63 multicore type solder is just fine. You don't need anything expensive like silver solder etc. One nice suggestion I found very helpful is to put an old bath towel down over all the stuff at the bottom of the cabinet when soldering. You WILL get a drip sometimes no matter how good you are and it will catch those.

#3 14 years ago

Yea just standard rosin core solder for electronics work is what you want, and like BD said put down a towel and also watch where your iron is going at all times, real easy to melt wires or worse while you are down there.

#4 14 years ago

Thanks Brokedad and Maldoror, I thought that would be the case just wanted to make sure. This is what makes this site so cool you can come in ask even silly questions and get quick responses you guys are awesome.. I will make sure to put some cover down. Thanks again.

#5 14 years ago

No question is silly or dumb .. only the ones people won't ask because they think they know everything or are too ashamed to ask. Heck .. I just made my first order from pinballlife.com for some bulbs, etc. I never even knew about that site before joining here and seeing it mentioned from others. It's the closest to my location (3 hours away) so I can use the cheap postal shipping and get it delivered fast.

I had a ton of the other bulbs (#44, #47) but not the #89's the new Street Fighter II machine uses and you HAVE to have a stock of spares. I also ordered a new lock as it was pulled even though the Gottlieb locking bar will cover it. I also ordered some new super polished pinballs to replace the aging ones it came with as why waste the shipping fee.

#6 14 years ago

The only type of solder that *isn't* suitable is the type plumbers use, with a separate tin of acid flux. That's the sort of stuff you'd get from the hardware store. You want the stuff you get at an electronic supply store, looks like silver wire. And an *electric* soldering iron not rated more than about 20 or 30 watts. You definitely don't want the type you heat up with a butane torch!

I realise you probably know all this, but once a guy I knew bought some soldering equipment a few years ago for electronic work and -- you guessed it -- they sold him all the plumber stuff down at his local hardware. My eyes bugged out when I saw what he was trying to use, and he was wondering why he was having problems!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-typebrand-of-solder-should-be-used-for-switches and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.