Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by phishrace
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tip-cleaner.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

Warning:Newbie question ahead!
    Had a fight with a bridge rectifier and my cheap 25 watts pencil style soldering tool.Bridge won round one but i came back with a nice Hakko 888 for the second round...and won!!!
    But i didn't know what temp to set for both unsoldering and soldering in the new bridge.
    What temperature setting are you guys working with?
    Is the lowest the safest for not lifting traces and such?

Thanks!

#2 9 years ago

Great question, I use mine on 685, I just read it somewhere, but it has worked fine for me
    for 2 yrs...

#3 9 years ago

I just did a relay today at 800 just don't leave it on long. Real quick melt

#4 9 years ago

Great question, I was wondering the same thing myself.

#6 9 years ago

I usually keep mine at about 610.

#7 9 years ago

I solder at around 700F. Maybe a tad less for small chip sockets and a bit higher for larger component lugs and older boards.

#8 9 years ago

There really isn't a single, clean cut answer for that. Some people like a lot of heat for a very short amount of time, some people like less heat for longer. It's a bit like a recipe, where you can adjust the amount of heat you need to prepare a dish to tailor it to the amount of time you have to cook in.

I tend to desolder around 400 celsius. Solder around 325.

Sometimes, you have to adjust that, though. If you're desoldering a big pin of a connector that is attached to the ground plane of a PCB, you've got a heck of a lot more to heat up than a single leg of a transistor. So, on ground planes, I go a little higher on the temperature.

When desoldering, I often use a little liquid flux. That seems to reduce the amount of time I have to keep the heat on the board.

You also have to keep your tips in good shape - clean, not oxidized. As a tip wears out, you often have to increase heat a little to keep it operating well. That's a good sign that it's time to replace the tip. The coating on the tips is very thin - you can't just file or sand the old tarnished tip and make it shiny and start using it again.

Find some junk boards to practice soldering on, and find out what works for you!

#9 9 years ago

Don & Jeff suggested 660ish on the pinball podcast.

#10 9 years ago

i do anywhere from 650-700. sometimes a little higher desoldering pesky blobs.

johns words are spot on. tin those tips, boys.

#11 9 years ago

I started at 750, and in replacing a transistor for the first time (previous board work being nothing more ambitious than reflowing header pins) I just barely lifted a trace, so I have dialed it back a bit. Sounds like I should go a bit lower still.

#12 9 years ago

Also, do yourself a favor and lose the wet sponge and instead go with something like this for cleaning your soldering iron:

http://toolmonger.com/2008/11/12/solder-better-with-a-clean-iron/

tip-cleaner.jpgtip-cleaner.jpg

#13 9 years ago

Another reason there is no correct answer is because things like ambient temperature, humidity level and the temperature of the boards you're working on all affect what temperature works best. Soldering warm boards in a 84 degree house with medium humidity will take less heat than soldering the same cold boards in a 55 degree garage with low humidity. The colder the room/ parts, the hotter you want the iron.

Quoted from ChadH:

Also, do yourself a favor and lose the wet sponge and instead go with something like this for cleaning your soldering iron:

Sometimes a wet sponge is the better choice. I know there are strong beliefs for both. I use whatever works best.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-temp-for-soldering-unsoldering and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.