71 days ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 70 days ago by PinRetail
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SD Boot 2024-02-15 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rx2006je.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 71 days ago

I want to get a faster sd card for my spike 2 games. I know it needs to be a class 10 card and the size of GB doesn’t matter, but what speed is the best or optimal for the system to get faster boot times?

#3 71 days ago
    Quoted from PinRetail:

Fast as you can get? Cost shouldn't be a consideration. The cards I've used are less than fifteen bucks on amazon.
    For the microsd used for firmware at the bottom of the board I've used Sandisk Extreme Pro Class 10.
    And I'd probably use Sandisk Extreme Pro for the SD card also, though I'd be tempted by PNY Elite Performance Class 10.
    Anything over 8gb should be fine.
    Stern is using Adata 8gb, probably not even class 10, so you could probably use anything.
    I sincerely doubt that this will make a noticeable difference. Like, I doubt you'll see a one second difference in boot times. Boot times seem to take forever due to hardware checks, especially the Insider Connected needing to get booted up.

Thanks for the info. Is it worth having a different sd card

#5 70 days ago
    Quoted from PinRetail:

I've never heard of anybody who felt it was 'worth it' to put a non-factory-authentic SD card in their new Stern pinball... yet.
    When I've had defective SD cards and microSD cards, I've replaced them with the fastest card I had available to me, and wasn't looking to see if that booted faster, but it wasn't significant enough to catch my attention and say 'Hey! Now the game is booting faster, and the graphics come up faster!' There was no observable difference... but I wasn't looking.
    (shrugs) A faster SD card is a cost of 13-17 bucks. I don't think you'll 'improve the game' by putting non-factory-original parts in your game, but if it shaves less than a second off your game boot times, and that less than a second difference is important to you, go ahead.
    Maybe you'll get five or ten seconds faster boot. I dunno. If the SD speed increased the boot time, it wasn't noticeable to anyone who wasn't looking for it.
    Boot times on new Sterns are quite long and that didn't change.

got ya thanks again for the input

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rx2006je.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-speed-sd-card-to-get?tu=rx2006je and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.