(Topic ID: 118009)

What pin do you like better? IM or Tron?

By rai

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 55 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Hazoff
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What do you like better”

• Tron 103 votes
    57%
  • Iron Man 77 votes
    43%

(180 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
Quorra-Tron-Legacy-HD.jpg
Iron-Man-3-Header1.jpg
There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

I saw the SM vs Tron poll and got to thinking, what two pins are more closely related and both much loved than Tron and IM?

Both same designers, both have 'The Dude' Jeff Bridges. Both are fairly short rules and/or fast games.

Iron-Man-3-Header1.jpgIron-Man-3-Header1.jpg
Quorra-Tron-Legacy-HD.jpgQuorra-Tron-Legacy-HD.jpg

#2 9 years ago

I have never owned Iron Man, so my experience of the machine is limited. It never grabbed me. I know lots of people extol the virtues of how fast and brutal it is, but I just found it sparse, and I engaging.

Perhaps with a bunch more time on it, I'd change my tune.

Tron, on the other hand is a masterpiece immersion of sound, light, and geometry. Really challenging, yet totally attainable wizard mode. A total rush when you line everything up.

#3 9 years ago

TRON......

END OF LINE.

#4 9 years ago

I have these two ranked up there as my favorites. I am let down by the DMD screen capture animations, but think Tron has a slight edge in that department as well as a few extra rule touches such as the super pops, super spinners, 2x scoring as well as more skill shots, PLUS, I love SOS which allows you to complete the modes you need to advance to Portal. (still have yet to gain access to portal). Also love the inner loops such as Quarra and Gem.

I love IM in it's simplicity as well as I think it's more intense than Tron. I love the ramps more on IM.

I think IM plays better (by a fraction more symmetrical while Tron is more of a right flipper dominant) but prefer the rules on Tron as well as the 3rd flipper action and inner loops. So by a hair, I vote for Tron.

#5 9 years ago

Tough, tough call. Both are incredibly good, although I'd have to give a slight edge to Tron, as IM feels a bit weak outside of Do or Die. Both are great though.

#6 9 years ago

Close call. Currently Tron is the winner. Better light show. Better music. More to do. But to show you how close this is...I voted Iron Man just ten minutes ago in the poll.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Close call. Currently Tron is the winner. Better light show. Better music. More to do. But to show you how close this is...I voted Iron Man just ten minutes ago in the poll.

I call them 1a and 1b in my lineup but I can't figure out which one is 1a

#8 9 years ago

Two great games. Slight lean toward Tron for me.

#9 9 years ago

Played both back to back, have to give the edge to Tron, fun even when you don't do so well. Not frustrating.

Pinball ZEN.

#10 9 years ago

TRON. both great, but Tron wins..

Quoted from rai:

Pinball ZEN.

#11 9 years ago

Both are awesome, but I lean more towards Iron Man. I like the two symmetrical ramps and the toy better.

#12 9 years ago

Both kick my butt, I want to like Tron more bec of the ramps and shots but still can't figure it out. IM is just as fast and I like the ramps which go through the back of game but both of these are quick games for me.

#13 9 years ago

Tron - less random and so more fun.

#14 9 years ago

Tron. Unless you like your games to have something to do on both sides of the PF, then IM.

#15 9 years ago

Definitely Tron - but if Do or Die Multiball was made more attainable, IM would be much closer.

#16 9 years ago

Tough call. Both are equally addictive. Both are keepers. On one hand I prefer the theme integration in Tron, the challenge of the gem shot, and the challenge of reaching portal. On the other hand, I like how IM fights back with all the magnets and kick backs, no scoops to slow the game down and the Do or Die jackpot. Maybe slight edge to Tron for having a cooler theme, a third flipper, and the best mods in pinball.

#17 9 years ago

Both are 10 pounds of awesome in 5 lbs bags. But Tron by a hair.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Definitely Tron - but if Do or Die Multiball was made more attainable, IM would be much closer

lol, do or die is just right imo, as well as Jericho. IM is much more challenging and a '1 ball game' i'd say than Tron.

#19 9 years ago

I play IM more, but I like Tron a little bit better (which doesn't exactly make sense)

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Both are 10 pounds of awesome in 5 lbs bags. But Tron by a hair.

it must be nice to own both. I can help you out with that .

#21 9 years ago

I wouldn't kick either out of my game room for eating crackers.

#22 9 years ago

I like both...

Hence they sit side by side in my office =)

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpgzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

#23 9 years ago

Really cant decide tbh.

#24 9 years ago

Almost everyone on Pinside has more than one pin. No? So, I vote both.

#25 9 years ago

Tron for me. Better sound, lights, and shots. And getting the EOL jackpot is always fun.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

lol, do or die is just right imo, as well as Jericho. IM is much more challenging and a '1 ball game' i'd say than Tron.

He said Do or Die Multiball, which is almost non achievable for casual players. If you can reach that then bravo.

Tron for me. I love the Quorra to Gem combo.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Definitely Tron - but if Do or Die Multiball was made more attainable, IM would be much closer.

So true, not that I'd be able to get there often, but it would be so much better if it were in reach. I wish Stern had added a menu option to lessen the requirements.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Tough, tough call.

I agree that these are very, very close. It's like comparing fine wine. I own both and alternate between them most of the time, playing them far more times than my other pins. They both are fast and have their own rewards. I'm going to give the win to Tron by a nose because I haven't been to Portal yet, but have knocked out the IM wizards a few times. That said, there's something to be said about having a game where you can do everything on "that rare and special ball" like IM. Both have outstanding music and lights and in my place they're the only two attached to Polk subwoofers. I'll close with an odd statement that will probably show my conflict about the two. I like Tron a smidgen better, but I think I would probably choose IM if I could only take one to a desert island. Crazy huh?

P.S. No way I'd put my Tron LE through all the potential salt and other environmental damage of being stuck unprotected on a desert island.

#29 9 years ago

DOD Multiball (they say it's impossible). We are not talking about DOD hurry up which is fine.

I think DOD Multiball you need to complete all modes 3x each on the same ball.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

I play IM more, but I like Tron a little bit better (which doesn't exactly make sense)

same here.

This is a tight race, but I expect Tron to pull ahead.

#31 9 years ago

Tron by a large margin. IM is an ok game, but even after owning one I still don't understand the hype around it.

#32 9 years ago

I own both, and they sit right next to each other in the lineup. And there is no choice to make here. They are both fantastic games. They are different and similar. I had Tron for years before IM showed up, but IM is making up for lost time. I just don't see a need to pick between them. I can't imagine selling either of them. So both are the best. Play on player!

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

Tron by a large margin. IM is an ok game, but even after owning one I still don't understand the hype around it.

That's interesting not in a sarcastic way. Iron Man by a large margin for me. I don't understand why everyone is crazy for Tron. But don't listen to me, I think Ripley's has a tougher wizard mode to complete than both of them. Atlantis is awesome!
All pinball machines are fantastic!

#34 9 years ago

TRON LE for ever...

#35 9 years ago

Tron is a little better but Ironman is great too! Some of Sterns best work ever. Just goes to show you don't need deep rules and tons of gimmicks or toys on a game to make it fun. Although both games have tons of add on mods for the extreme owners.

#36 9 years ago

While Tron is a great pin, IM is vastly superior. I've played tons of games on both machines. The theme is cool on both machines, the sounds and lights are fantastic on both machines, the advantage I give to IM is in the gameplay. Tron doesn't have the one more game gripping power that IM does. I get so engulfed in the pin sometimes it's hard to pull me away. I feel like I'm immersed in the game battling the iron monger or whip lash. Tron just doesn't have that. It feels like a series of tasks to complete vs an adventure. I've never walked away from a game on IM due to boredom like I have on Tron. I've just left free credits on the game. IM always gives me that one more game feeling. It can be brutally hard and the play itself takes such skillful nudging. It's just incredible. I wouldn't mind having either game in my collection, but wouldn't trade my IM for a Tron regardless of perceived value.

#37 9 years ago

Also, Tron appeals to us pinball nerds due to the arcade theme. Iron Man has a better appeal on a general level to people who don't give a crap about arcades .

#38 9 years ago

Both are awesome and I would have both if I could. Anyone want to make a straight trade of a Star Trek for a TRON?

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

While Tron is a great pin, IM is vastly superior. I've played tons of games on both machines. The theme is cool on both machines, the sounds and lights are fantastic on both machines, the advantage I give to IM is in the gameplay. Tron doesn't have the one more game gripping power that IM does. I get so engulfed in the pin sometimes it's hard to pull me away. I feel like I'm immersed in the game battling the iron monger or whip lash. Tron just doesn't have that. It feels like a series of tasks to complete vs an adventure. I've never walked away from a game on IM due to boredom like I have on Tron. I've just left free credits on the game. IM always gives me that one more game feeling. It can be brutally hard and the play itself takes such skillful nudging. It's just incredible. I wouldn't mind having either game in my collection, but wouldn't trade my IM for a Tron regardless of perceived value.

Damn you, you are gonna make me try and find an IM to buy again!

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

He said Do or Die Multiball, which is almost non achievable for casual players. If you can reach that then bravo.
Tron for me. I love the Quorra to Gem combo.

i owned tron 1st release for 2 years, had fun, then sold it for an upgrade with metallica first run. hated the quorra gem combo clunk shot. It was supposed to be as smooth as the rudy mouth shout on FH, not so much i found after adjustments and over 2 years of gameplay on it.

#41 9 years ago

I don't think you realize the difference between DOD Multiball and DOD.
DOD is fine, but DOD Multiball is practically impossible to start (for anyone).

#42 9 years ago

Tron plays the same every time: plunge to the scoop, catch, shoot Quara. Wash, rinse, repeat. I had Tron for less than a year and sold it. I've had IM for 4 years and it's not going anywhere. Guests all love IM as well.

Don't get me wrong, I do like Tron, but it gets old.

#43 9 years ago

tron but that's probably because the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence

#44 9 years ago

I bought both TRON LE and IM NIB. TRON is gone but IM is still here. TRON required lots of tweaking to get it to play descent out of the box. Got tired of the spinning disk and I never cared for the Quorra and the GEM loop shots. The left ramp and right ramps are smooth and the scoop shot is ok. Still, I would like to perhaps have another TRON some day. I liked the music and most of the callouts on TRON. IM is just a very fast and tough game to consistently get high scores. The game can be difficult because of the outlane/slingshot placement and the IM magnet that puts the ball out of control in the middle of the PF.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Damn you, you are gonna make me try and find an IM to buy again!

Do it. You won't be sorry. It is the most played game in my collection for good reason. I can't get enough of it. I even play it on location when I'm out and people ask me why I bother when I have it at home. It's just that good.

I'm glad this title received a new lease on life with the VE. Otherwise, I'd never have had the opportunity to play so much on it.

#46 9 years ago

Tron LE =>Tron pimped is tied with pimped IM IMHO

tough call both very fun games and no regrets just buy one.

#47 9 years ago

Tron....... Had both,sold IM. Tron's not AC/DC good,but it is bad ass non the less.

#48 9 years ago

Haven't a clue what they would put on the game but wish they had made an IMLE.

#49 9 years ago

Every line up needs a fast & brutal game like Tron or IM cause sometimes you don't want to play a 15 or 20 minute game of pinball.

1 week later
#50 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Every line up needs a fast & brutal game like Tron or IM cause sometimes you don't want to play a 15 or 20 minute game of pinball.

I think I just might be happy with an entire line up like that. LOTR left a couple+ years ago and I don't miss it.....just to damn long. Guess I should have kept JM though!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-pin-do-you-like-better-im-or-tron/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.