Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 96 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by BRONX
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

30ADFFB0-BC58-416E-B31F-B9E7B312F5AA (resized).jpeg
    C0F1EA03-08BB-42FD-9E90-EA9CDCA0181A (resized).jpeg
    0C392E3D-0FB1-4A42-86FD-EB28A8E20D7B (resized).jpeg
    15946E06-44FE-4F9F-B70B-382060400949 (resized).jpeg
    DSC07409 (resized).JPG
    tiger aab (resized).jpg
    xway extra ball feature relay (resized).jpg
    service-dog-memes-always-bring-out-the-smiles-15 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 6.48.18 PM (resized).png
    xway AAB instruction card (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20210109-200744 (resized).png
    IMG_20210109_114704 (resized).jpg
    There are 96 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 3 years ago
    Quoted from weeze:

unfortunately I sold it because of space issues but the buyer still has it and I have a "right to buy"" on it and that is Bally HAY RIDE. Rare at 150 made I think, with a fairly easy looking playfield thats harder then hell to complete. A real ball buster in that way. Someday I hope to buy it back but I would have to go get a building to keep them all which is NEVER accomplished!
    [quoted image]

Would love to find one of those. The playfield artwork is sensational. Have had a couple of chances at the replay model, but passed. "Hay Ride" is the one I'd love to find.

#52 3 years ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

Intriguing! When you can get at the schematic, please post the project number. I wonder if your schematic says #897-A (mine says #897). If it does, IPDB will want that info.
    It would be strange for them to use the replay counter for just a Same Player Shoots Again type of extra ball. Back in 1964, it was a full ball counter on the Happy Tour AAB game.
    https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1119&picno=9129
    Look at the center of the backglass.
    .................David Marston

Dave, Turns out I may not have a schematic for this. I have one that came with another replay version (897) I already had when I came across this AAB version at York a couple years ago, and I don't remember now getting one with it. If I run across it I'll share it w/IPDB. I was wrong about the jones plug in the backbox and the "credit unit" (it's still there, unused?). The plug and the "extra ball" relay is on the bottom board next to the power supply. Sorry, should have looked before posting. Blair

xway extra ball feature relay (resized).jpgxway extra ball feature relay (resized).jpg
    #53 3 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Italian export version of "Bank Shot". Are there any major differences?
    I have the backglass for it, but that's it.

No. Basically the same game!

#54 3 years ago

My favorite AAB pins are
    GTB Astro
    WMS Swing Time
    BLY Loop the Loop (my true aab model)
    Honorable mentions are
    GTB Big Top, Dimension and Team One
    WMS Jolly Jokers and Post Time and Blast Off
    BLY King Rex. Bally did not make many good AABs. IMHO

#55 3 years ago

Majorettes
    Hearts & Spades
    Ice Show
    Pleasure Isle
    Neptune

#56 3 years ago

Majorettes is a great game. Astro And pleasure aisle are also super fun.

#57 3 years ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

I have the schematic. It does not have the down-counting Balls To Play system. There are Ball In Play lights 1-5, and the reset for the Ball Count unit is tied into the whole-game reset. No signs of where a factory-designed kit would be installed, unlike some earlier games.
    For historical context, among Bally 1-players, Red Max and El Toro use Ball IN Play, while Fore and Odds & Evens use Balls TO Play. So Expressway was slightly before they changed over to the AAB-friendly system.
    .................David Marston

Bally "Hi-Deal" also has "balls to play" (count down/up when extra balls are won). This game is unique in that it can play as a true add-a-ball and award replays simultaneously. One of the best Ballys ever.

#58 3 years ago

I have three AAB games currently.
    -Bally Hi-Deal. As JR mentioned fun to add balls and pop a replay. Nice layout that doesn't get boring.
    -Gottlieb Ship Ahoy I have been playing a lot of. I didn't think much of it at first, felt too easy but it's been increasingly hard on me lately. Enjoying it more.
    -Williams Kickoff is one of my long time favorites. Sold one and missed it enough to replace it. Tough game that starts out being generous and gets greedier as you go. Good luck trying to roll this one.

The one I shouldn't have sold was Majorettes. Feel stupid letting it go as it will be hard to replace. Super fun game that's hard to walk away from.

#59 3 years ago

I have ship ahoy. Great game, I need to fix some of my inserts. It’s on my to do list. Lol

#60 3 years ago

Never heard much about Hi Deal. I’m going to have to look into that one.

#61 3 years ago

Only owned & played one AAB machine, so this is my favirote Gottlieb Tiger Wow.

tiger aab (resized).jpgtiger aab (resized).jpg
    #62 3 years ago
    Quoted from Adm927:

I have ship ahoy. Great game, I need to fix some of my inserts. It’s on my to do list. Lol

I re-glued every single insert in mine. Some had fallen out and were kicking around loose when I got the game. The rest didn't take much to push out. Common issue I think with this era Gottlieb.

#63 3 years ago

Yes it is that and cupping. I will get there eventually.

#64 3 years ago
    Quoted from skywalker:

Only owned & played one AAB machine, so this is my favirote Gottlieb Tiger Wow.[quoted image]

I find it funny that Gottlieb used the “lion” spinner on the Tiger playfield.

#65 3 years ago

I own a couple.... Williams Kickoff is one of my favorites currently...great gameplay and love the Kickoff feature.

It was quite amusing to lift the playfield the first time (not realizing at first it was an add-a-ball) and going "where's all the steppers?"

#66 3 years ago
    Quoted from Phillips88:

I find it funny that Gottlieb used the “lion” spinner on the Tiger playfield.

Honestly the game came with a blank spinner, PBR sent me the Lion one & don't know if its the correct one

#67 3 years ago
    Quoted from DCP:

We enjoyed playing a Gottlieb Stock Car AAB in Hartford, CT in the 70s. Only 350 made - I haven't seen one since then.

I have a GTB Stock Car AAB in great condition that I swear draws the most players in my game room (EMs and SSs). I learned real fast: the key to nirvana on this one is fine-tuning the tension of that effin' spinning arrow so it spins fast and free when hit. The thrill ride begins after you hit all 10 numbers and the loud "crack" can be heard in the next county. This is where pulse rate skyrockets to keep the ball alive to earn as many AAB Wow cracks as possible before it drains. Everybody else stops playing to watch. Once it drains: scream, cuss and start over.

DSC07409 (resized).JPGDSC07409 (resized).JPG
    #68 3 years ago

I like these: Gottlieb's Flipper Parade, Subway, Flipper Pool and Williams' Palooka.

#69 3 years ago

OOOOH Palooka! Yessss!

#70 3 years ago

Whenever I go to District 82 in De Pere, I have to play a few games of Palooka!

Holy smokes! D82 lists 101 games in house on their site now, awesome!

15946E06-44FE-4F9F-B70B-382060400949 (resized).jpeg15946E06-44FE-4F9F-B70B-382060400949 (resized).jpeg
    #71 3 years ago

I'm going to go for -

Majorettes, so different, so clever.
    Cow Poke, lots of ways to win extra balls.
    Flipper Pool, when it's going well, see how many times you can reset the targets.
    PlayMates, I can't say I like the artwork but the game is great.

#72 3 years ago
    Quoted from SilverLiningMan:

Melody is flat out the most beautiful pin I’ve got in the stable.

Got to play Melody for the first time today and had a lot of fun lighting specials.

I don’t really have the knack for the eeety beeety 2” flippers yet. Heck who am I kidding, I’m not so great with 3” either.

0C392E3D-0FB1-4A42-86FD-EB28A8E20D7B (resized).jpeg0C392E3D-0FB1-4A42-86FD-EB28A8E20D7B (resized).jpeg
    #73 3 years ago

I forgot! Triple Action can be set for AAB!
    I set mine on AAB for the drop targets and credits (knocker!) for score.

#74 3 years ago

Pro Pool was a lot of fun!

Majorettes was pretty cool too!

#75 3 years ago

Couple of great videos there. Love My Majorettes one of a kind game.

#76 3 years ago

Dimension
    Lucky Hand
    Capt Card

1 month later
    #77 3 years ago

Oh, dear. Just got a Flipper Fair project. Doesn’t seem to be anyone's favorite. Looks like fun, though. The clown works.

#78 3 years ago

Best evaaarrrr: ROCK STAR

I can smash that game due to the spinners. Love the art and layout.

Really good: Pin-Up, Astro, Dimension, Gold Strike

#79 3 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

Oh, dear. Just got a Flipper Fair project. Doesn’t seem to be anyone's favorite. Looks like fun, though. The clown works.

I love mine. Just like "Subway" in game play. The animation is different, of course, and it has the shallow cabinet. Love the "bounce back" maneuver which can be executed on this game when the ball drains down the left outlane.

#80 3 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Love the "bounce back" maneuver which can be executed on this game when the ball drains down the left outlane.

Thanks for the hint!

#81 3 years ago

I just posted an ad to sell my Bally Happy Tour. Italian import with add a ball. Sister to the Grand Tour but only 250 of these made per site info.

C0F1EA03-08BB-42FD-9E90-EA9CDCA0181A (resized).jpegC0F1EA03-08BB-42FD-9E90-EA9CDCA0181A (resized).jpeg
    1 year later
    #82 1 year ago

Favorites played:

Card Trix
    Lucky Hand
    Majorettes
    Melody
    Subway

Favorites owned:

Capt. Card
    Diamond Jack
    Flipper Fair
    Mini Pool
    Pop-A-Card

Want to buy:

Astro

#83 1 year ago

Nick
    How is Card Trix? They don’t come up very often I have not heard much about it. Never played one.

#84 1 year ago

The only add a ball I’ve played is Flipper Fair. I really enjoy it. Also have a GulfStream, but it is now second in line to be fixed up, so I haven’t played it yet.

#85 1 year ago
    Quoted from Adm927:

Nick
    How is Card Trix? They don’t come up very often I have not heard much about it. Never played one.

The replay version, Flip-A-Card, was "THE" wedgehead which soured me on playing for specials. I spent 60+ hours rebuilding one only to discover that playing for score means never aiming for any of the 50-point targets at all. Just keep looping it to the top, over and over, and over and over, and over and over. That's literally it. Hitting the riskier target shots only enables the special which doesn't award any points at all.

So what's the point of having score reels if you aren't playing for points? And if you are, why bother hitting 90% of what's on the playfield? A shame because the layout is actually very cool. I think it deserves to be rewired for progressive scoring... each target increasing value as shots are made. Boom... fixed.

Card Trix on the other hand at least awards extra balls for hitting all the targets. However, is it worth the risk? What are the odds of winning a tournament chasing extra balls versus looping the lanes? *sigh*

How about that total lack of playfield art? Not a fan of The Empty Years. Not sure what they were thinking during that time.

Such a cool layout. It just needs a little tweaking to be great.

#86 1 year ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

The replay version, Flip-A-Card, was "THE" wedgehead which soured me on playing for specials. I spent 60+ hours rebuilding one only to discover that playing for score means never aiming for any of the 50-point targets at all. Just keep looping it to the top, over and over, and over and over, and over and over. That's literally it. Hitting the riskier target shots only enables the special which doesn't award any points at all.
    So what's the point of having score reels if you aren't playing for points? And if you are, why bother hitting 90% of what's on the playfield? A shame because the layout is actually very cool. I think it deserves to be rewired for progressive scoring... each target increasing value as shots are made. Boom... fixed.
    Card Trix on the other hand at least awards extra balls for hitting all the targets. However, is it worth the risk? What are the odds of winning a tournament chasing extra balls versus looping the lanes? *sigh*
    How about that total lack of playfield art? Not a fan of The Empty Years. Not sure what they were thinking during that time.
    Such a cool layout. It just needs a little tweaking to be great.

I’m a big fan of Flip a Card and find myself playing for a high score 75% of the time (sending the ball up through the Ace rollover with the left flipper really racks up the points) but the other 25% of the time it’s just fun to see if you can get all 13 cards lit for the Specials. (Like I just did lol).

But I also understand that if your playing just for points as in a tourney, it would narrow the playfield for sure.

30ADFFB0-BC58-416E-B31F-B9E7B312F5AA (resized).jpeg30ADFFB0-BC58-416E-B31F-B9E7B312F5AA (resized).jpeg
    #87 1 year ago

Wow that is a verrrry nice survivor! Forgot about that 500-pt ace rollover... indeed that is your only shot from the left flipper for maxing points.

I think instead of progressive scoring I'd implement a 2000-pt relay for clearing the entire deck. Then have it reset after the ball drains. Easier to do.

#88 1 year ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Wow that is a verrrry nice survivor! Forgot about that 500-pt ace rollover... indeed that is your only shot from the left flipper for maxing points.
    I think instead of progressive scoring I'd implement a 2000-pt relay for clearing the entire deck. Then have it reset after the ball drains. Easier to do.

Thanks, the playfield was a dry plank/fest when I bought it from two 6 foot 8 or so twin brothers in Charlestown IN, about 30 minutes from here on the 4th of July in 2019. They wanted $500 and I said hey, how about $400 and they said they’d rather get $500 and it was a deal.

Never spent so much time matching craft paint colors and slowly repainting a playfield and I’m a small time painting contractor.

#89 1 year ago
    Quoted from Adm927:

Nick

Cardtrix is my first and only aab right now and I love the game. 3 different ways to get an aab.

#90 1 year ago

Capt Card, so brutal but so clever!

#91 1 year ago
    Quoted from HoneyBadger:

Capt Card, so brutal but so clever!

Brutal is the word!

#92 1 year ago
    Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

Thanks, the playfield was a dry plank/fest when I bought it from two 6 foot 8 or so twin brothers in Charlestown IN, about 30 minutes from here on the 4th of July in 2019. They wanted $500 and I said hey, how about $400 and they said they’d rather get $500 and it was a deal.
    Never spent so much time matching craft paint colors and slowly repainting a playfield and I’m a small time painting contractor.

Many years ago, I acquired a similar condition "Flip a Card" in central NJ. The backglass was nearly perfect, but the rest of the game was rough. Spent quite a bit of time on it, and got it looking and playing great. I ended up selling it to the Silverball Museum. It was there for a while, and my friends who visited there said it was one of the best playing EMs in the place. It hasn't been there for years though. I don't know if it was moved to the Florida location or what.
    It's a great player, and I really enjoyed it while I had it.
    Really love "Card Trix" too.

#93 1 year ago

Paddock. Unique in that the extra balls
    launch up between the flippers.

#94 1 year ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Paddock. Unique in that the extra balls
    launch up between the flippers.

You have an export model (made for Italy).

#95 1 year ago

True AAB is such a funny thing these days. In some ways, it feels like the mechanic has aged better into the home use of today where replays don't have the same value... However, any true AAB actually set up to achieve more than an additional ball with any regularity would get immensely boring for me very quickly. Some of the replay conversions, it seems like that could translate into max balls to play etc.. on the odd game where you might get everything lit and just keep collecting... and on those later WH types, I'd prob just walk away!

I suppose that is why something conceived fully for AAB such as Majorettes is so appealing to me. The balance of difficulty, quick balls, but the ability to get them being so achievable, it's like the perfect balance.

Although not on the same level, I've been having a lot of fun with WMS SkyLab recently. A true AAB, it can be configured for captive balls, outlane, and score to increment balls to play (although I typically will disable score based AABs). Set up with the outlanes all the way open, makes the center captive balls very dangerous, so the strategy of shooting the targets around the outside of the PF are encouraged, this accelerates the bonus advance, but also enables an alternating outlane AAB on completion. At the same time, as a preparation for the last ball (double bonus), the player may choose to 'set up' the center captive balls to be one shot from AAB. Since the double bonus remains energized, I thought this was a pretty neat dynamic to have in a AAB game.

A big key to this game I think is really opening the outlanes.

1 year later
    #96 8 months ago

1977 Gottlieb team One on aab mode(5 balls) is so incredibly fun!!! havent tried it on novelty mode yet, but what a fun incredible game. Going to write a review soon on it.

There are 96 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-your-favorite-add-a-ball-game/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.