You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3309.jpg
IMG_3308.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Hey Guys,

I'm cleaning up a Gottlieb Tropic Isle and there is an area on the backglass that I'm not familiar with. I've circled it in the pictures. It counts up to 26. I'm not sure what triggers it or why it is there. Also, it never resets itself back to 0. I can manually reset it by moving an arm in the back that ticks it down one number at a time. That arm is attached to a solenoid. I've tested the solenoid and it appears to be in good shape. Does anyone know what this is or how I can get it to reset itself? Thanks!

IMG_3308.jpgIMG_3308.jpg IMG_3309.jpgIMG_3309.jpg
#2 10 years ago

That is your credit counter.

#3 10 years ago

it is the "credit unit"... it tells you how many, umm, credits, you have on the machine...

if when you press the "start button" it doesn't decrement, a previous owner disabled it somehow in order to set it to free play...

#4 10 years ago

Thanks for your quick replies.

That makes sense. Any ideas how it might have been disabled?

#5 10 years ago

Could also need to be shopped. The stepper parts often get gummed up.

#6 10 years ago

There is a "normally open" switch on the unit that is bent permanently "closed." (Forget which one, but you might be able to see it.) BTW, why would you not want it on "free play?

#7 10 years ago

One coil should increase it and the other decrease it,having it on free play should not change the habit of operation.
Manually step it up and then down and see if it works right, it may need to be cleaned and lubed,the spring may not enough tension to return it (step down) or it could be an electrical issue.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from GoodToBeDad:

Thanks for your quick replies.
That makes sense. Any ideas how it might have been disabled?

take a few pictures of it from different angles, focusing on the switches and coils, and post them up... one of us will be able to figure it out...

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

One coil should increase it and the other decrease it,having it on free play should not change the habit of operation.
Manually step it up and then down and see if it works right, it may need to be cleaned and lubed,the spring may not enough tension to return it (step down) or it could be an electrical issue.

yea, unless the prev owner did more than they had to....

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

yea, unless the prev owner did more than they had to....

True^there are some hackers out there in Pinland.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

True^there are some hackers out there in Pinland.

sadly, i have one right now that would make a hacker proud....

but your original post sounds more logical, it may just be gummed up beyond hope...

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

i have one right now that would make a hacker proud...

My brother just got a Top Card and someone hacked the As match unit (F) relay and gutted all the wires except 4 it must have been used in Ny as machines were not allowed to be replay.
Needless to say the lower jones plug is mia ,luckily he got one thats longer than needed and I will saw the excess off thats not needed.
Plus there is enough wire from the donor plug to make the job easier,now i only have to find out what wire goes where.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

I can move it just fine. Everything is clean. The coil that is supposed to decrease it doesn't ever fire. I'll trace the wires and go from there. Thanks for everyone's help.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from GoodToBeDad:

I can move it just fine. Everything is clean. The coil that is supposed to decrease it doesn't ever fire. I'll trace the wires and go from there. Thanks for everyone's help.

If you have the schematic look in the other coils used section ,looking for subtract replay unit coil and follow the index.
Follow the wiring upstream which will show how the coil is triggered.
If no schematics are available then it will most likely trace back through a switch on the score motor 2c as my 1959 gottlieb as well as the later schematics use that for triggering the subtract coil,or maybe you have a bad coil?

#15 10 years ago

Your Back Glass is great shape!

#16 10 years ago

Looks like a few NEW wires added, Is that a plastic coated blue wire going to the credit unit?

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Chrisbee:

Looks like a few NEW wires added, Is that a plastic coated blue wire going to the credit unit?

Doubtful, unless they color matched and snuck the wire in under the vintage, dirty waxed linen lacing. Remember, this is probably the "zero position replay switch", which likely carried 110v and coincidentally was blue in many machines of this vintage.

Regarding the original question, the first thing I would look for is to see if the previous owner simply cut or desoldered the wire to the coil. If not, check the start (S) relay or look on your schematics to see see what else is on that circuit. Motor 2C is another likely culprit.

Before you do that, you may want to get introspective and assess your chances of fixing this minor problem that doesn't affect game play with the chances of mucking something up. You will likely end up just setting your game up for free play in another manner anyway.

The other thing to consider is that prior to selling a machine, OPs often severely hacked up the wiring involved in the coin and credit circuitry to keep the machine from showing back up on a competing route.

Todd
Team EM.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from newmantjn:

The other thing to consider is that prior to selling a machine, OPs often severely hacked up the wiring involved in the coin and credit circuitry to keep the machine from showing back up on a competing route.

In 1982 when I bought my Solar City, from an operator. I had make sure that it came with the coin mechs. He said why would you need those for in home use?

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

In 1982 when I bought my Solar City, from an operator. I had make sure that it came with the coin mechs. He said why would you need those for in home use?

More than just that. I have several machines that the coin mechs as well as all the switches and support structure for the coin mechs were pulled, the wires were cut off and sometimes even pulled from the wiring harness. This seems to be more common in some areas than in others. I think I have seen it with early wedgeheads from the K-zoo area and later 70's machines from the Saginaw area. But who knows where the games were from before that?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-this-and-why-doesnt-it-work and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.