Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180430_213015[1] (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
image_(1)_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

I'm fixing up my Bad Cats and are working on the cabinet. What text-font did Williams used for the "warning"-text on the backside of the backbox?

image_(1)_(resized).jpgimage_(1)_(resized).jpg

2 years later
#3 6 years ago

Trying to reproduce this exact Caution / Warning, all I get from what the font is an error... was this topic ever solved?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#4 6 years ago

You can try this approach if you are adept with a tool like Illustrator or Inkscape.

Find a close font, perhaps like this: https://www.linotype.com/185452/itc-conduit-light-product.html

Buy the font, or type the alphabet into the sample text, grab the bitmap at high resolution, trace bitmap in the tool to vectorize it.

Adjust each letter on top of a scan of your text until it exactly matches. Place all letters on top of the scan.

#5 6 years ago

Good advice from dr_nybble. These letters may have originally been done by hand, since computer generated type was not as common in 89 as it is now

Jody

#6 6 years ago

I found a font that is loaded in photoshop that is close but before doing all the manipulation, thought I would check here with the experts.
Thanks for the advise!

#7 6 years ago

Here you go:

http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/nicksfonts/planscribe-nf/

I'd call it about a 98% match. It may take some playing with the kerning and width of some of the letters, but if you take a picture of the text you want to duplicate and use it as a guide as you type it all out, you'll be fine.

#8 6 years ago

Ohh looks pretty good, let me do some manipulation, I will update the thread acordignly!

Thanks all

#9 6 years ago

That Leroy lettering system is very cool, think I will buy one off eBay.

#10 6 years ago

You could ask Inkochnito - he is the guy that recreates all the labels and coil wrappers and would know for sure. He is here on Pinside under that user name I think?

http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/inkochnitos-pinball-score-and-instruction-cards-website-update.16453/

#11 6 years ago

Yea, checked his site and didn't come across the caution info, but he still might know what it was, good thought.

The planscribe font is dang close! I went ahead and paid the $10 for it.
Considering imperfections when the paint was applied, I have pretty much got it.
I'll upload an image or two once I get it done.

#12 6 years ago

Alright y'all, do I stretch, twist, slant etc the Planscribe to EXACTLY match what was on my BB or go with it as-is... White is Planscribe via Photoshop, the yellow bleed is the original.
What would YOU do? What YOU want an Oramask cutting of this caution text for any projects?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#13 6 years ago

Depends on how OCD you are. I position every letter individually so it matches the original. Probably no one will ever know or care but me but it is satisfying.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Depends on how OCD you are. I position every letter individually so it matches the original. Probably no one will ever know or care but me but it is satisfying.

LOL, I did not think I was that OCD but am leaning this way for the Atlantis I'm working on!

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

I'm that way, too. Plus, I'd do the work in Illustrator so it outputs a vector file which can be scaled up and down without loss of clarity. In Photoshop, if the output file is too small, the end result could be slightly blurry around the edges. If you keep it in PS, just keep it at 300dpi and the output file uncompressed.

While the font letters might be spot on, kerning and spacing changes as well as differences in programs used over the years are what accounts for the differences you see in that image.

2 weeks later
#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Quoted from Miguel351:
Here you go:

http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/nicksfonts/planscribe-nf/

Ohh looks pretty good, let me do some manipulation, I will update the thread acordignly!

... and the end result.

20180430_213015[1] (resized).jpg20180430_213015[1] (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.00
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.99
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-font-did-williams-used-89 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.