(Topic ID: 308905)

Weird sw matrix issue (Stern Metallica pro)

By Marco_g

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Marco_g
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Hi guys,
First porst here but long time pinside reader

I have a weird behaviour on my metallica pro I got last week.
First important point: the machine was unboxed only 6 months ago by the former owner and he never did any work nor modding on the machine, so basically its brand new.

The problem: first thing I noticed while playing was that sometimes - (not always!!) I’d get Sparky triggered with a direct hit to the captive ball.
After some more playing I noticed some more passive triggering by other switches on the same row as the captive ball.
also the grave marker gets passively triggered. As a consequence I get random multiballs (GM and sparky multiball) out of nowhere.

Of course I did some sw test and with the diagnostic everything looks Ok, no false triggering.

I tried also reseating every possiblr connector on the boards and below Pf with no success.

Upon further playing I got the feeling that some switches on row #3 sometimes activate switches on row #4.

I dont think its a diode problem, otherwise I wont expect false triggering on several switches on different rows.. i’d expect the problem to affect a column rather than a different row.

What could be?? I have no more ideas and I’m starting to wonder if its a cpu board issue..!

Other thing to consider: upon first inspection, I found a pin on the boot chip on the cpu to be totally bent out of its socket. The pinball worked just the same as now, but I could not start the code update procedure. By fixing it back into place I could update the code but the sw issue remained there. So I dont think its related.

Thanks for any hint!!!
Cheers from Italy

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from Marco_g:

Hi guys,
First porst here but long time pinside reader
I have a weird behaviour on my metallica pro I got last week.
First important point: the machine was unboxed only 6 months ago by the former owner and he never did any work nor modding on the machine, so basically its brand new.
The problem: first thing I noticed while playing was that sometimes - (not always!!) I’d get Sparky triggered with a direct hit to the captive ball.
After some more playing I noticed some more passive triggering by other switches on the same row as the captive ball.
also the grave marker gets passively triggered. As a consequence I get random multiballs (GM and sparky multiball) out of nowhere.
Of course I did some sw test and with the diagnostic everything looks Ok, no false triggering.
I tried also reseating every possiblr connector on the boards and below Pf with no success.
Upon further playing I got the feeling that some switches on row #3 sometimes activate switches on row #4.
I dont think its a diode problem, otherwise I wont expect false triggering on several switches on different rows.. i’d expect the problem to affect a column rather than a different row.
What could be?? I have no more ideas and I’m starting to wonder if its a cpu board issue..!
Other thing to consider: upon first inspection, I found a pin on the boot chip on the cpu to be totally bent out of its socket. The pinball worked just the same as now, but I could not start the code update procedure. By fixing it back into place I could update the code but the sw issue remained there. So I dont think its related.
Thanks for any hint!!!
Cheers from Italy

It's been a while; but when I owned Met I had phantom graveyard triggers come to find out Stern had later sent out a shroud that blocks light from opto. Make sure that's in there sorry can't help with the sparky issues.

#4 2 years ago

So, after some more troubleshooting, I think I can rule out a cpu bord problem.
I disconnected the opto amplifier board under pf and the problem has disappeared.
I’ve read that this little board is quite prone to failure.

I’ve tried to reflow solder on every component but no success.

Since its a super cheap piece I’ll try to replace it hoping it will solve the issue.
Fingers crossed!

1 week later
#5 2 years ago

So, the opto amplifier board was indeed the cause of my problems. Switched it for a new one and the issue has disappeared.

Thought this might be helpful for other people to know

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
7,600 (OBO)
$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 149.00
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weird-sw-matrix-issue-stern-metallica-pro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.