(Topic ID: 265180)

Various repairs needed to Getaway High Speed II, any advice or help?

By bwl1706

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9829 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bwl1706.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Hi all,

We've had a Williams Getaway High Speed II at my house for a few years now, but since we've gone into lockdown (UK) we've decided to finally have a look at fixing a few of the niggles that it has on it. I don't really have any experience in maintaining or repairing pinball machines so if there is anything too complex I may have to wait until lockdown is over and get a professional to come and look at it, but I was hoping that if I listed a few of the issues here someone might be able to help me fix it or at least know where to start.

The current issues we're having are (as far as I can work them out):

-The on/off switch is not in the slot at the bottom where it should be, so the only way of turning the machine off is to unplug it, which resets all of my settings and high scores.

- The switches above the lock area are broken in some way, when lock is lit and the ball goes up the ramp the machine plays the donut heaven or 'nice car' video, but then seems to lose the ball and actuates all of the motors until it eventually releases the ball, but does not lock the ball so I can't get past the green light. I have enabled the 'up/down ramp broken' setting to get around this during gameplay but would like to fix it if possible. I have attached a picture of the switch testing screen, which shows issues with switches 81 (Opto 1), 82 (Opto 2), 83 (Opto 3), 84 (enter left ramp) and 85 (opto made loop). I understand that optos consist of a transmitter and receiver, but don't know anything more than that, what is my best chance of fixing this?

- The manual suggests that 4th gear supercharger mode should start a 2 ball multiball, but this doesn't happen and it immediately starts a 20 second countdown.

- The manual says that a properly adjusted kickback should always fire the ball into the burn rubber hole. Mine does this about 50% of the time. What does 'properly adjusted' mean and how can I fix it?

- When I light up 'Special', or get a match at the end, there is a loud cracking noise but nothing happens. We think this should light the big light on top, is that right?

The test screen also shows issues with switches:
- D7 up
- 24 always closed
- 56 left trough
- 57 center trough
- 58 right trough.

How do I find these switches and what do I do/what am I looking for when I find them?

Thanks so much, let me know if you need any more info in order to help.

IMG_9829 (resized).jpgIMG_9829 (resized).jpg
#3 4 years ago

Thanks for the tip, I’ve got the manual now and having looked at the switch matrix the ones which have issues are related to the accelerator, not the ball lock mechanism. How do I diagnose the issue with the ball lock and fix it? I know nothing about this really...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 20.00
Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Trade
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, ON
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bwl1706.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/various-repairs-needed-to-getaway-high-speed-ii-any-advice-or-help?tu=bwl1706 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.