Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 789 posts
  • 141 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    20201028_161015 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160911 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160954 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160854 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160808 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160730 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160717 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160649 (resized).jpg
    listing_photo_136382483126870995 (resized).jpeg
    0C1B4630-C231-4C01-A72A-A20824F0B94B (resized).jpeg
    90D58CE8-FA8B-4F63-A6BD-AB1B735CD11A (resized).jpeg
    download (4) (resized).jpeg
    download (resized).jpg
    images (resized).jpeg
    martha-vandellas (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rivv.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#241 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

Art Blakey, Milt Jackson, and John Coltrane are some of my favorites.
    There are/were a number of British rockers who cited jazz musicians as an influence. Bill Ward naming Gene Krupa comes to mind.

How about SUN RA?

Some of my other jazz favorites are Charles Mingus, Ornette Coleman, Pharaoh Sanders, Eric Dolphy, John Zorn, Thelonious Monk, Nina Simone, and Alice Coltrane.

My unpopular music opinion is grunge was a boring trend except for a few bands like Melvins and Alice in Chains. And grunge should be forever shamed for birthing those post grunge monstrosities like Nickelback, Puddle of Mudd, Creed, Bush, Three Days Grace, etc.

#276 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

Damn, all those names are great. Especially Mingus, Coleman and Monk.
    Grunge was basically pop music with down tuned guitars. It had its moments, but the best stuff still survives in the independent music scene.
    Melvins are great. They started before the big Seattle boom of the late 80s and are still around to this day. They influenced one of my favorite bands, Boris.
    Earth is another band from Seattle 1989 that is still around despite a brief hiatus in the late 90s. They are one of my favorite all time and easily my favorite of all the Seattle bands. Started the drone guitar style of music that inspired drone metal, notably Sunn o))).

I am also a big fan of Earth, Sunn, Boris, and the whole drone/sludge/stoner/doom scene. I've seen all three of those bands several times over the years. Haven't paid much attention to Boris releases after Heavy Rocks and New Album in 2011 but saw them last on the Pink 10th anniversary tour. I am up to date on Earth, Sunn, and Melvins albums though.

It's interesting to think about Dylan Carlson's and Buzz Osborne's friendships with Cobain, since their bands stayed quite underground compared to Nirvana. I liked the direction Nirvana was heading with the more abrasive In Utero but still not an album I ever feel the need to hear again. But I do appreciate Nirvana more than grunge bands like Pearl Jam, who sounded like a lesser version of Neil Young and Crazy Horse's style from decades prior.

#278 3 years ago

Yep, I still haven't heard their last album, but I love The Illusion of Motion and The Unreal Never Lived.

#287 3 years ago

I'm not a RHCP hater but love this Nick Cave quote about them: “I'm forever near a stereo saying, 'What the f--- is this garbage?' And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers.”

#427 3 years ago
    Quoted from rolandthoms:

Riding the school bus in the 80s as the lone “new wave kid” was no easy task (small, rural Canada)
    Listening to Depeche, OMD and the like meant a salami sandwich hurled to the back of yer head
    35 years later, the metalhead pinsiders still torment me....Iron Maiden pinball, Metallica pinball.

The No Wave kids who were listening to Swans, Glenn Branca, Suicide, Sonic Youth, etc. were probably punching themselves in the face and setting school buses on fire.

#463 3 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I have a friend who wears a Ghost shirt every day and he literally has over 300 different Ghost shirts. Personally I think they suck pretty bad.

Their stage show is fun, but I think they're lacking compared to Mercyful Fate/King Diamond, who have a similar gimmick but better musicianship and albums. I like the psych rock band Ghost from Japan better. Their guitarist Michio Kurihara is particularly awesome.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rivv.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unpopular-music-opinions?tu=rivv and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.