Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by mrm_4
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Monterrey score motor switch 2 (resized).jpg
    Monterrey score motor switch 1 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20230918_093908_Drive (resized).jpg
    IMG_8438 (resized).jpeg
    mex-pin (resized).jpg
    coin-slide-coil (resized).jpg
    cap-tape (resized).jpg
    e (resized).jpg
    playfield-mex-cons-lib (resized).jpg
    d (resized).jpg
    c (resized).jpg
    b (resized).jpg
    a (resized).jpg
    20220214_174326 (resized).jpg
    20220214_174316 (resized).jpg
    20220214_174334 (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

IMC 3 (resized).jpgIMC 3 (resized).jpg

I’ve checked but it seems there is not yet a United Manufacturing Company Owners Club. The same way there is a GENCO Owners Club, I thought it would be nice to have one for UNITED and share pics, videos, information, stories, tech info etc about these gorgeous old pieces of art.

According to IPDB, UNITED made pinballs from 1944 until 1955. Less than 40 pinballs in the database, bingos are excluded from my listing below:
    UNITED (resized).jpgUNITED (resized).jpg
    So this club might have a very low number of members. I know at least one, Steeve with his beautiful 1947 UNITED Singapore that we can see on YouTube.
    Here are sone pictures and a video (sorry, no BG on video) of my 1949 Aquacade. 72 years old and still playing great!

0 AQUA (resized).JPG0 AQUA (resized).JPG
    01 Aqua (resized).JPG01 Aqua (resized).JPG
    02 AQUA (resized).JPG02 AQUA (resized).JPG
    03 AQUA (resized).JPG03 AQUA (resized).JPG
    04 AQUA (resized).JPG04 AQUA (resized).JPG
    05 AQUA (resized).JPG05 AQUA (resized).JPG
    06 Aqua (resized).JPG06 Aqua (resized).JPG
    07 Aqua (resized).JPG07 Aqua (resized).JPG

Flyer Aqua (resized).jpgFlyer Aqua (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

I’m in! I love my United Rio, I’d like to get more of the line up from 1947.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1947-flipperless-united-rio-clean-up

1 month later
    #3 2 years ago

Your Rio looks great !
    Rio (resized).jpgRio (resized).jpg

1 month later
    #4 2 years ago

I have a 1948 United Paradise that I am working on. Cant get the thing to start though. Small club but I think United had some really nice looking games.

9751E605-862F-4B09-874E-1993A6DEE877 (resized).jpeg9751E605-862F-4B09-874E-1993A6DEE877 (resized).jpeg
    #5 2 years ago
    Quoted from SpyroFTW:

I have a 1948 United Paradise that I am working on. Cant get the thing to start though. Small club but I think United had some really nice looking games.
    [quoted image]

Nice game! Welcome to that quite small club
    I can see on IPDB that the Paradise has one additional stepper compare to my Aquacade. The one underneath the playfield… What is it for ?

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from BallyCrazy:

Nice game! Welcome to that quite small club
    I can see on IPDB that the Paradise has one additional stepper compare to my Aquacade. The one underneath the playfield… What is it for ?

The stepper under the playfield is the bonus unit. There is also the score motor. Despite some fade on the playfield and having to replace the bumpers, its in pretty good condition. I just need to get it started.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from BallyCrazy:

[quoted image]
    I’ve checked but it seems there is not yet a United Manufacturing Company Owners Club. The same way there is a GENCO Owners Club, I thought it would be nice to have one for UNITED and share pics, videos, information, stories, tech info etc about these gorgeous old pieces of art.
    According to IPDB, UNITED made pinballs from 1944 until 1955. Less than 40 pinballs in the database, bingos are excluded from my listing below:
    [quoted image]
    So this club might have a very low number of members. I know at least one, Steeve with his beautiful 1947 UNITED Singapore that we can see on YouTube.
    Here are sone pictures and a video (sorry, no BG on video) of my 1949 Aquacade. 72 years old and still playing great!
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

[quoted image]

United also produced games in 1942 and 1943. Sadly only the backglass remains from this Arizona.

B7ED6A04-A42F-4D5D-9892-3491DEF5C463 (resized).jpegB7ED6A04-A42F-4D5D-9892-3491DEF5C463 (resized).jpegD3C3A0DC-9B41-426A-B2DF-2B55FA649F60 (resized).jpegD3C3A0DC-9B41-426A-B2DF-2B55FA649F60 (resized).jpeg
    #8 2 years ago
    Quoted from schwism:

United also produced games in 1942 and 1943. Sadly only the backglass remains from this Arizona. [quoted image][quoted image]

You're right, these are converted games.
    1942 : Midway & Sun Valley.
    1943 : Arizona, Grand Canyon, Brazil & Santa Fe.
    There are few others converted games from 1944 to 1946 I've not listed in my first post here above.

#9 2 years ago

Here are the converted games not listed above : https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?mfgid=323&specialty=20&sortby=date&searchtype=advanced

Quoted from SpyroFTW:

The stepper under the playfield is the bonus unit. There is also the score motor. Despite some fade on the playfield and having to replace the bumpers, its in pretty good condition. I just need to get it started.

I have the reset sequence of my aquacade available if needed. It should not be that different on your Paradise…

A Wisconsin and a Utah in this short video at the Paris Pinball Museum :

#10 2 years ago

Only thing i have from united is my ball bowler.

#11 2 years ago

BallyCrazy That would be great! I do not understand the startup sequence and that is where my problems are.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from SpyroFTW:

BallyCrazy That would be great! I do not understand the startup sequence and that is where my problems are.

Here is the start up sequence I've observed on my Aqua Cade:

Line cord unplug from line voltage and trip relay bank armed manually prior to start.

1 Line cord is plunged to line voltage (no ON/OFF switch on the pinball). The Tilt trip relay drops.
    Pic 1 (resized).jpgPic 1 (resized).jpg

2 Push the credit button on the front door and simultaneously, I have :

- The starting trip relay drops
    - one credit is subtracted to the credit unit
    - The score motor runs
    Pic 2 (resized).jpgPic 2 (resized).jpg

- The Lock relay is activated and stays activated.
    Pic 3 (resized).jpgPic 3 (resized).jpg

- The big 110 v coil resets the trip relay bank. All trip relays are in the "armed" position.
    - The reset coil of the 10.000 unit is activated and the 10.000 unit stepper resets to zero position. Then the step up coil of the 10.000 unit is activated and advances this stepper (one position up). The other one coil stepper in the backbox resets.
    Pic 4 (resized).jpgPic 4 (resized).jpg

- The ball gate coil is activated and and the 5 balls now available to play.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from BallyCrazy:

Here is the start up sequence I've observed on my Aqua Cade:
    Line cord unplug from line voltage and trip relay bank armed manually prior to start.
    1 Line cord is plunged to line voltage (no ON/OFF switch on the pinball). The Tilt trip relay drops.
    [quoted image]
    2 Push the credit button on the front door and simultaneously, I have :
    - The starting trip relay drops
    - one credit is subtracted to the credit unit
    - The score motor runs
    [quoted image]
    - The Lock relay is activated and stays activated.
    [quoted image]
    - The big 110 v coil resets the trip relay bank. All trip relays are in the "armed" position.
    - The reset coil of the 10.000 unit is activated and the 10.000 unit stepper resets to zero position. Then the step up coil of the 10.000 unit is activated and advances this stepper (one position up). The other one coil stepper in the backbox resets.
    [quoted image]
    - The ball gate coil is activated and and the 5 balls now available to play.

Thank you for this! My problems seem to start at the reset button. Nothing happens when I hit that. And all the coils lock on if I activate the start relay. Hopefully I can get that figured out and go from there.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Only thing i have from united is my ball bowler.

That's a big thing ! I like ball bowlers. I used to have a 1969 Bally Bowler (contact bowler), loved it...

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from SpyroFTW:

Thank you for this! My problems seem to start at the reset button. Nothing happens when I hit that. And all the coils lock on if I activate the start relay. Hopefully I can get that figured out and go from there.

This schematic (ipdb) is from 1949 Oklahoma. It may be different in your pinball.
    Check all contacts related to the start Re ( yellow) : Replay Unit Zero switch (red), 1 contact on the Start Re (blue) and on Tilt Re. First Ball Re may not be present in your Paradise ???
    Okl (resized).jpgOkl (resized).jpg

6 months later
    #16 2 years ago
    Quoted from SpyroFTW:

[quoted image]

Just out of curiosity, have you been able to find a schematic for your game?

I just picked up a United Summer Time, and it appears to be the same game with a different art package.

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from explosiveegg:

I just picked up a United Summer Time, and it appears to be the same game with a different art package.

Welcome to the club !
    Do you have few pics to share ?

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from BallyCrazy:

Welcome to the club !
    Do you have few pics to share ?

Thanks.

It's still a work in progress but here are some pics. I still have a lot of the bumper caps off from cleaning the playfield.
    20220214_174316 (resized).jpg20220214_174316 (resized).jpg20220214_174326 (resized).jpg20220214_174326 (resized).jpg20220214_174334 (resized).jpg20220214_174334 (resized).jpg

#19 2 years ago

Thanks, looks very nice !

1 week later
    #20 2 years ago
    Quoted from explosiveegg:

Just out of curiosity, have you been able to find a schematic for your game?

That is a beautiful game! It does look identical to my Paradise on layout. I do have schematics for it. Will happily trade you for some pics of your game as I cant get mine to start. PM me if you want the schematics

2 months later
    #21 1 year ago

I want to add my recently acquired '47 Mexico(#2582) to the thread. It has not been converted.
    1947 United Mexico1947 United Mexico
    I purchased a copy of stevefury's reverse engineered Singapore paperwork which has given me some clues.
    For example, the two switches under the cabinet; the one closest to the player clears credits, the other cuts power by opening a normally closed switch.

I have a few questions that someone might be able to address.

1. Conservative vs Liberal Post Settings
    There are several places on the playfield with liberal or conservative post placement. Without a manual, what is the logic to place the posts?
    Mexico playfield post placement optionsMexico playfield post placement options
    AA
    BB
    CC
    DD
    EE

2. Bumper Caps have Celophane Tape residue
    Somewhere in the past 75 years, some genius decided to tape down all the bumper caps. The residue produces a strip of yellow brown across every cap. I tried Goo Gone and that did nothing. A small test of Goof Off took the white paint on the bumper cap off easily. Any ideas to clean these up?
    bumper tapebumper tape

3. Apron Cards
    My machine came with an original scorecard but there was definitely another card tacked to the left side. Noticeable fade. I see that United switched to two vertical cards on the '48 Manhattan. Maybe it was just a router's card?

4. Coin Slide
    I tore the coin slide apart and gave it a sonic bath. It is quite bent along the left edge due to a hidden nickel and someone attempting to force it to slide. If the coil under the coin slide is engaged, the coin slide works fine. I'm not clear how I get that coil to engage. Is there a plug(Replay/Regular?) I am missing that engages the coil when the machine has power and credits? So when it has power and credits that coil is always on? At this point, I am still troubleshooting so I generally leave the coin door off and manually reset the machine.
    Coin Slide coilCoin Slide coil

5. Bumpers
    I pulled all 12 bumpers off the playfield to clean her up and to clean those bumpers. Pretty crude how they stick the light sockets thru the playfield and bend the ends to solder the power on. While pulling them apart I realized that one had a screw base. Is this just running out of single twist sockets on the line while building this machine or should one of these bumpers have a screw in lamp? Can anyone else confirm a single bumper that requires a screw in bulb?

That's a lot but there isn't much consolidated info on United pins anywhere that I have discovered in the webs.
    I have a hndful of other woodrails, Genco Puddin' Head, Bally Triumph, and three Bally bingos, but this "new" United is very intrguing to me.
    Thanks in advance for any info or opinions.

5 months later
    #22 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pmoore66:

1. The logic is if it blocks hitting a bumper or switch more, then it makes the game harder or more conservative. So for A, the closer to the side of the playfield (left hole in close up pic) is liberal, or easier. For B, its the opposite as closer to the side blocks the switch lane more. C Im not sure on, but would guess that the top hole is the hardest, center/outer is easiest and lowest hole in between. Could be wrong on that. D is the same as A, closer to the side being easier. E is the same as B, closer to the center being easier and giving more rubber to bounce to the saucers.

2. Not much you can do other than get it off and remove paint. With that done you can get a white paint pen and carefully repaint. Shouldn’t be too hard as the lettering is raised. Polish the cap with novis before painting. Or leave them be.

3. I have no idea. It’s possible it was a routers card. Would have to research more to find out on other games.

4. Unfortunately I cant offer any help with these coin slides.

5. These should all be bayonet style sockets as far as I know. I dont know of a game that used a screw in style bulb

10 months later
    #23 7 months ago

Trying to bring this one back from the dead but need some diamond bumpers. Anyone have spares?
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-for-red-diamond-bumpers-and-caps

IMG_8438 (resized).jpegIMG_8438 (resized).jpeg
    #24 7 months ago

Any United owners know where to get owners manuals? Did they even exist?

#25 7 months ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Any United owners know where to get owners manuals? Did they even exist?

i have a .pdf of a 1950 united manual, please dm me your email address

Screenshot_20230918_093908_Drive (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230918_093908_Drive (resized).jpg
    #26 7 months ago

Hey TinkerV2 could you post the score motor switch we discussed in this thread?

#27 7 months ago

Hello mrm_4 ,

I hope these pictures help with your problem. On my research for United Pinball schematics, I only found one for sale at Pinball Resource. When talking to Steve at PBR he said they don't exist though he had one. i don't remember what machine it was for. Probably Oklahoma since that was the only one I could find on the web in pdf format. He might have those diamond bumpers you're looking for. There's a member here steve fury that claims he created a schematic and has it for sale. I find him unreliable when trying to purchase it. I created a net list of the back box wiring, but not a schematic. It helped me troubleshoot the BB and test the steppers and lights, etc... I have that working. I'm going to tackle the PF this winter. I hope I don't need to wire list the whole PF. I'll probably try using the Oklahoma schematic if necessary.

Jack

Monterrey score motor switch 1 (resized).jpgMonterrey score motor switch 1 (resized).jpgMonterrey score motor switch 2 (resized).jpgMonterrey score motor switch 2 (resized).jpg
    #28 7 months ago
    Quoted from TinkerV2:

Hello mrm_4 ,
    I hope these pictures help with your problem. On my research for United Pinball schematics, I only found one for sale at Pinball Resource. When talking to Steve at PBR he said they don't exist though he had one. i don't remember what machine it was for. Probably Oklahoma since that was the only one I could find on the web in pdf format. He might have those diamond bumpers you're looking for. There's a member here steve fury that claims he created a schematic and has it for sale. I find him unreliable when trying to purchase it. I created a net list of the back box wiring, but not a schematic. It helped me troubleshoot the BB and test the steppers and lights, etc... I have that working. I'm going to tackle the PF this winter. I hope I don't need to wire list the whole PF. I'll probably try using the Oklahoma schematic if necessary.
    Jack
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Yes this is exactly what I needed. Thanks!!!

2 weeks later
    #29 6 months ago

Hey United pin owners, Im having a tough time with this Monterrey.

This game is almost done except one last piece that’s giving me heck. When I start a game the start up sequence does the following:
    -Pulls the ball trough coil up and holds it
    -Pulses the game counter
    -Pulses the credit wheel down one credit
    -Pulls the small coil that clears the big “millions stepper” in the back
    -pulls the coils to clear the 2 bonus steppers under the playfield

BUT WILL NOT ENGAGE THE SCORE MOTOR

so all the coils just hold on and buzz like crazy until I manually engage the score motor relay and then the game resets. Then plays perfectly. Score motor pulses when switches score and etc.
    I have gone through every switch on the score motor and under the playfield 10 times, all clean and gapped perfectly.

But for the life of me I cannot trace what switch on the start up relay fires the score motor.

Anyone with a wisconsin or even a monterrey have a suggestion?

#30 6 months ago

I just went through the entire wire harness by hand and followed every single wire that comes off of the score motor relay and score motor switches and verified that there are no breaks and that every wire is attached to a switch and every switch contact is clean and gapped appropriately and I still can’t get this piece of shit to start. Wtf man

Quoted from mrm_4:

Hey United pin owners, Im having a tough time with this Monterrey.
    This game is almost done except one last piece that’s giving me heck. When I start a game the start up sequence does the following:
    -Pulls the ball trough coil up and holds it
    -Pulses the game counter
    -Pulses the credit wheel down one credit
    -Pulls the small coil that clears the big “millions stepper” in the back
    -pulls the coils to clear the 2 bonus steppers under the playfield
    BUT WILL NOT ENGAGE THE SCORE MOTOR
    so all the coils just hold on and buzz like crazy until I manually engage the score motor relay and then the game resets. Then plays perfectly. Score motor pulses when switches score and etc.
    I have gone through every switch on the score motor and under the playfield 10 times, all clean and gapped perfectly.
    But for the life of me I cannot trace what switch on the start up relay fires the score motor.
    Anyone with a wisconsin or even a monterrey have a suggestion?

#31 6 months ago

Gotta bump the club again. Hoping someone will get nerdy and talk United Pin start up sequences with me

3 weeks later
    #32 5 months ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Gotta bump the club again. Hoping someone will get nerdy and talk United Pin start up sequences with me

I had this same problem and spent more than a year trying to figure it out. I never found the exact problem, but after dicking with it for more than a year, it is now working. I have a schematic for Paradise that I can send to you if you want. Looks the same. I will try to remember some of the things I did to stop the coils from locking on.

#33 5 months ago
    Quoted from SpyroFTW:

I had this same problem and spent more than a year trying to figure it out. I never found the exact problem, but after dicking with it for more than a year, it is now working. I have a schematic for Paradise that I can send to you if you want. Looks the same. I will try to remember some of the things I did to stop the coils from locking on.

Thanks for replying! So an update on that, I tracked it down to the contact pads not lining up properly after a rebuild. Game plays solid now!
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1948-united-monterrey-triage-thread-#post-7800534

#34 5 months ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Thanks for replying! So an update on that, I tracked it down to the contact pads not lining up properly after a rebuild. Game plays solid now!
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1948-united-monterrey-triage-thread-#post-7800534

Wow. I would have never found that issue. Good for you! Glad you got yours working. I still need to make wood rails and lockdown bar for mine. Would love to check yours out and your tmnt as well. My girlfriend’s parents live in Kent and we will be visiting for thanksgiving. Hope you find a tilt bob. I dont think I have an extra one

#35 5 months ago
    Quoted from SpyroFTW:

Wow. I would have never found that issue. Good for you! Glad you got yours working. I still need to make wood rails and lockdown bar for mine. Would love to check yours out and your tmnt as well. My girlfriend’s parents live in Kent and we will be visiting for thanksgiving. Hope you find a tilt bob. I dont think I have an extra one

Send me a PM when you’re in Kent!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/united-owners-club-?hl=ballycrazy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.