(Topic ID: 347855)

United Deluxe Shuffle Alley scoring issue

By shuffleshimmy

4 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20231214_015123482 (resized).jpg
    Deluxe Shuffle Flyer.pdf (PDF preview)
    DeluxeShuffleSchematic.pdf (PDF preview)
    #1 4 months ago

Hi,
    I'm attempting to help my buddy repair an issue with his 1951 United Deluxe Shuffle Alley. He lives 150 miles from me so I am doing this remotely. I may be able to see it in person around the holidays.
    The malfunction just applies to player #1. When a game ends and a new game is reset the #2 thru #6 player's scoring correctly reset to zero. However, player #1 does not reset to zero. If player #1 had a score of 207 in the previous game, the new game starts with 7 points for player #1. If I a previous game score of 192 then the new game score starts at 2 for player #1, etc. The scoring on this game is with back-lights not reels. (brochure picture attached).
    So in the first frame (if player #1 is showing 7 points) and player #1 gets a strike (which is worth 30 points), the score advances to only 27 (not 37). If player #1 only gets 8 pins down the score advances to show 5 (not 15). Once player #1 gets a strike or a spare, the scoring is correct the rest of the game.

I am guessing that there is a make/break leaf switch for player #1 that is not breaking at the "zero" reset mark and runs too far? If so, where might this switch be located? (schematic is attached)
    Any help is appreciated!
    Bruce

Deluxe Shuffle Flyer.pdfDeluxe Shuffle Flyer.pdfDeluxeShuffleSchematic.pdfDeluxeShuffleSchematic.pdf
    #2 4 months ago

The video I watched of this machine during reset the step units step up to zero instead of having a reset coil and return clock spring. Sometimes this type of run out switch is mounted so it’s activated by a low dwell on the outside of the wiping disc for the switch to open. It’s a guess without actually seeing the step units.
    Scoring problems are usually caused by a dirty score motor scan disc or dirty bank relay switches.

#3 4 months ago
    #4 4 months ago

I have a working one! Daveh is right. No return spring. The ones and tens have separate steppers. On reset they step all the way around to zero. Sounds like the ones is sticky.

#5 4 months ago

I can open mine up and take pics later if you need them.

#6 4 months ago

Hey fireball2 that would be great to see some pics until I can get over to his house.

I did a repair on the machine a couple of years ago and I do recall there being separate steppers (and no return springs as mentioned).

He did say that when the game resets and the #1 player is showing a number (other than being zero like it should), he can manually advance the stepper to the zero position.....BUT if a strike is made only 20 points score instead of 30. Every frame after that scores correctly. However, if a strike or spare is not made the ones score keeps advancing but does not activate the tens until a mark is made.
    Example: Game resets and 7 is lit. The ones stepper is manually advanced to zero. Say after two throws a total of 8 pins are down. The ones score advances to 5 and the tens stepper remains at 0. This process continues until a mark is made....only then will the tens stepper advance.

It seems like the ones stepper is loose enough to rotate through the 10 positions but does not stop at the zero position on reset. Is it possible that the tens stepper is off just a tad when it resets....and that would keep the ones stepper from going to zero? That may explain why a strike only scores 20 points instead of 30 points?

I'm just hypothesising here.....I hate not having the machine in front of me.

Thanks for any help!
    Bruce

#7 4 months ago

I asked my friend to pay close attention to all of the players score stepper units when the game resets. He came to the conclusion that the tens stepper unit on player #1 is resetting too far (past the zero mark). I thought there would be a stop to prevent this from happening but apparently there isn't.
    Is there an adjustment that can be made to prevent this?

#8 4 months ago

Sorry no pics yet cuz, umm I can't find the key at the moment. I think it's on the chain with the ones I got at school. I can get pics tomorrow night.

But. It sounds like the plate with the rivets is slightly out of position on that unit. Loosen the two screws that hold it and move it a bit. Mine wasn't registering strikes either. My issue was the plate on the frame advance.

I would also check the giant coil unit that controls the pin drop. Make sure it's not sagging from sheared off screws like mine was. It is heavy.

#9 4 months ago

Thanks, I appreciate your input.

#10 4 months ago

Hey fireball2,
    My friend can't find the mounting screws on the stepper plate. If you could take a pic of your tens stepper unit and point out where the mounting screws are I will forward that info to him.
    Thank you

#11 4 months ago

Sorry, crazy week at work.
    The pic is of the frame advance unit. The others work the same except the rivet plate isn't exposed. There's a screw at the top of each unit that releases it to swing out exposing the plate. This one is easier to take pics of

You hafta take off the finger thingy with the nut, and then the two screws that hold the plate are exposed. So sort of loosen the screws just a little bit so that the plate can move when you shove it a little and then put the fingers back on without tightening them down and then wiggle the plate into position till you get them to line up right.

It'll take a few tries and some trial and error. I did it with the game on so I could reset it and start from 0, adjust, test, etc. It took a good 15 minute of trial and error to get my frame unit to trigger strikes. Btw... If strike scoring is an issue, also check the adjustment of the frame unit. It really controls a lot.
    This weekend I can maybe take a video.

mark

PXL_20231214_015123482 (resized).jpgPXL_20231214_015123482 (resized).jpg

#12 4 months ago

Thanks Mark,
    I forwarded your post to my buddy. He should be able to figure out the adjustment with your info and pic. I appreciate your time and effort!

Bruce

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/united-deluxe-shuffle-alley-scoring-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.