(Topic ID: 107305)

Twister - 2 switches not working? cant figure it out

By pinnaf

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinnaf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

picked up a twister at the York show this year (not off the floor but a pre-arranged deal)

got it set up at home and played some then realized something was weird about it, by the time I locked a couple balls, and other game play

BOTTOM LINE Problem I am having:
1. The 3rd switch in the main ball trough is not registering (thus when you lock 2 balls it will kick out 2 on the next ball (that switch is not being "seen")
2. The right outlane rollover switch is not registering

WHAT I KNOW FOR SURE:
- neither switch being not working shows up as an "error"
- those are the only 2 switches that do not "Ding" when in test mode - EVERY THING else does

WHAT I HAVE DONE:
- replaced both switches new from pinball life---- and tested... still not registering
- tested the membrane switch in the ball lock trough.. figured out it is working
- noticed some battery acid corrosion on the CPU board near the original (now off board) battery spot.
- SWAPPED out my Austin powers CPU board (stern 237-0176-00) with my Sega board (has the corrosion on it -- by the way that spot is near the row switch spots!) (Sega 520-5136-00) AND BOTH SWITCHES STILL NOT REGISTERING

What I think I have thus concluded ruled out:
1. its not the switches themselves
2. the corrosion on the board I don't think is the source

I think both switches go to the same molex on the CPU board (purple line and white/yellow line)

I am at a loss as to where to test or check or whatever to see where the source of the problem is? unclip the bundles of lines and really retrace the lines themselves? in the molex at the board?

I love this game and sold off a twister I had with a non-working magnet board to eventually find this one with a working magnet board but now this.. sux...

any help - I guess the general question is in your game if you had confirmed new switches that works and no board problems - WHERE WOULD YOU LOOK NEXT?!

thanks in advance

#3 9 years ago

looks like they share the same ROW: #4 (white and yellow wire the same on both) CN7-6

hope this may help

thoughts now?

#6 9 years ago

I put 2 new switches on the spots
- the rollover one was the whole assembly.. switch wire, mount, and diode pre soldered

- the micro switch in the trough I just used the same wiring and diode from the previous one figuring initially it was the switch internally

I think before I change diodes I may trace down the white and yellow wiring and make sense of the fact that one is right down the line from the other one then trace further back...

#8 9 years ago

okay - my project - trace all white and yellow switches and connections in that row

will try to report back today

thanks for the help

#10 9 years ago

okay - thanks for story and input... that (to me) eliminates the brand new switch and diode assembly I got from pinball life.... I did not switch out the diode on the #3 ball trough... I will solder on a new one... and see

(FREAKIN diode thingies.. look fine but could be internally bad..-- kind of like looking a tick and trying to determine if he has "cold")

#13 9 years ago

HEY HEY

found a white and yellow wire where solder had broken off.... thus I guess not completeing the row chain of switch wiring

soldered back... BINGO! twister is a BLAST!!

thanks for the help

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinnaf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twister-2-switches-not-working-cant-figure-it-out?tu=pinnaf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.