• TMNT Pro 21 votes
    29%

(72 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

200.gif
#1 9 months ago

Hi,

From my short time on both, I really enjoyed both pins. I’m considering buying both to go next to an IM pro. I would consider buying both pro versions if they weren’t so similar. Both have their positives (TWD’s code, toys, TMNT’s IC, display, art) and negatives ( TWD’s art, TMNT’s animations, voice acting). I slightly prefer TMNT shots as it shoots a bit easier but the right ramp can be annoying.

Any feedback as to buying advice would be appreciated especially from past and present owners of both or either.

Thanks!

#2 9 months ago

Probably turtles. Newer game, deeper code. TWD cool but can brutally hard and chopping wood on repeating the hits in the barn and walker toy. I would point out the shots on turtles have some similarity to iron maiden. TWD much different shots

#3 9 months ago
Quoted from zaki:

Probably turtles. Newer game, deeper code. TWD cool but can brutally hard and chopping wood on repeating the hits in the barn and walker toy. I would point out the shots on turtles have some similarity to iron maiden. TWD much different shots

You prefer the TMNT code over Lyman? Interesting as all I ever hear is that it’s one of Lyman’s best.

Appreciate the advice

#4 9 months ago
Quoted from acupunk12:

You prefer the TMNT code over Lyman? Interesting as all I ever hear is that it’s one of Lyman’s best.

I figured TWD would be great because you’re getting both Borg and Lyman. And at a better price than tron or Metallica.
Appreciate the advice

#5 9 months ago

I owned and had a love/hate relationship with TWD. The code is sooo good. You pretty much have to watch several tutorials to truly understand the depth of the code and how to blow up the scoring but it’s amazing. The fury comes from the unfair drains coming out of the pops. I tried many alterations to reduce that but it’s just a brutal game but I kind of liked that. The artwork is also dark and doesn’t draw people to it. I’ve never owned TMNT but played many times on location. I enjoy it and would like to own the pro some day. The artwork on TmNT is much more inviting to visitors and the ability to team up is also cool. Net: if you play mostly alone then I’d reco TWD; if you have kids or a lot of casual playing visitors then TMNT.

#6 9 months ago

Not into the whole walking dead thing and as stated it's a hard game. If thats your thing for theme and a nasty hard game good.
Turtles is not easy but not so tough. now kids or you were a turtles kid it is a better choice. Yes the video is not so hot but play the video on pinball is the least of the game.

#7 9 months ago

I haven't played Turtles much but I do own TWD pro. It is hard and frustrating but I can't stop playing it. I have found a solution for the drains out of the pops that works great. It took me 50-100 games to get used to the shots and when to nudge and it's become much easier since. I can get very close to Horde mode almost every game but only actually get there on occasion. I was worried it would be too hard for guests but it is a favorite out all my 8-9 games. It won't last forever in my collection but it will stay around a bit longer than most. That said .. id love to get a Turtles sometime too.

#8 9 months ago

Having owned/own both for years. TWD IMO is one of the greatest pins of all time. I enjoy TMNT but that game at times truly feel like chopping wood. I have young kids and nothing about TWD is scary or scares them. Same with my buddy who owns it and his kids.

If I could have only one pin it would be between TWD and Rush. I'm a massive Borg and I'll get shot for saying this but I much prefer his games over all the other designers.

#9 9 months ago

My Walking Dead left a few weeks ago and Turtles is up for sale now. Fun, but neither had staying power for me.

#10 9 months ago

Neither

#11 9 months ago

TWD and its not even close. With being said there in 1987 code for tmnt that is a must for tmnt.

#12 9 months ago

TWD by a lot. I think TWD pro is amazing and I like it over the premium in some areas.

Turtles never really clicked with me as the theme was a little too kiddy and making pizza and the spinning disc I don’t really like the vibe of the pin.

TWD is a lot darker theme and with the user created sound code is perfect.

But to be honest for me Iron Man is another pin to look at it’s nearly perfect and a lot easier for me to play and get farther in.

#13 9 months ago

TMNT is refreshing in its difficulty and not too many multi-ball modes.
If you hate games with too many multi-balls or easy to earn multi-ball features - TMNT is the answer.
Still hoping for code to fix the unbalanced scoring and there are many random awards...but on the plus side:
There's no scoop (thank you), the pops aren't jammed in a tight space and they really matter, and you can't just shoot at what's lit to succeed.

TWD Pro lasted 2 months in my herd, and I bought it NIB.
Game just never clicked with me.

#14 9 months ago

To come back to your previous statement. Buy both, other than the same designer they are completely different pins. Code is extremely different and the layout is completely different. Really the only similarity between the two is that are both brutal AF.

#15 9 months ago

There’s a reason TWD has continued to climb in value and Turtles continues to drop in value…TWD all day. You play the code on the game, not the art.

#16 9 months ago
Quoted from acupunk12:

Hi,
From my short time on both, I really enjoyed both pins. I’m considering buying both to go next to an IM pro. I would consider buying both pro versions if they weren’t so similar. Both have their positives (TWD’s code, toys, TMNT’s IC, display, art) and negatives ( TWD’s art, TMNT’s animations, voice acting). I slightly prefer TMNT shots as it shoots a bit easier but the right ramp can be annoying.
Any feedback as to buying advice would be appreciated especially from past and present owners of both or either.
Thanks!

Why wouldn’t you buy a game you like, who cares about code. This has been discussed way too many times, art,code, pro, premium etc.
@nikoy3k said it best. Neither!

#17 9 months ago

TWD is one of the best Stern games ever made. And yes, it is also Lyman's greatest code. I was disappointed in the game when it first came out, but ultimately Lyman righted the ship and I came around. The artwork does kinda suck tho. There's only so much you can do to make it look ok in a lineup of games with hand drawn art. It's also not a theme for everyone. TMNT looks better and has more mass appeal, but is a fairly average Stern, imo. Both games are on the difficult side.

#18 9 months ago

Walking dead is a fantastic game. TMNT is also a game.

#19 9 months ago

TWD was the first Stern that clicked with me. Would love to own a premium some day.

TMNT has been in my collection for 2 years, same with Stern’s Jurassic Park. I will sell my Jurassic Park before TMNT and it’s an easy decision for me.

Turtles is just fun. So many people take pinball way too seriously. Serious themes, and themes that take themselves seriously, kinda just suck to me. Jurassic Park is one of those games - zero charm and grindy gameplay for people who take pinball ultra seriously. I do not. I play pinball for fun, so fun games like Deadpool, Turtles, Godzilla, Medieval Madness, Elvira HOH are more my speed.

TMNT is absolutely the best deal in pinball right now. I’ve seen premiums go for like 6-7k. That’s just nuts. This game will absolutely command more value in a couple of years, as Venom draws a group of fans for its persistent code, people will seek out similar pins, and TMNT is the next best thing.

The groupthink of pinside is the same as everywhere else - once the zeitgeist says “TURTLES BAD” people will parrot that to make it seem like they know what they’re talking about “yeah, I played it and didn’t like it either”. Cool, you played two games, in a noisy bar, with early code.

I remember specially not getting Fallout 76 at launch because the video game group think was all “FALLOUT 76 BAD” but a couple months after launch they had a big sale and I got it for cheap just for the lols. Game is incredible, one of the best multiplayer games I’ve ever played. Does it have bugs? Sure. So does Twlight Zone, but that’s the nature of complexity - you either understand that and accept the chaos of it, or stick to Tetris or Pong.

Point being - put a good amount of games on both.

#20 9 months ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

TWD is one of the best Stern games ever made. And yes, it is also Lyman's greatest code. I was disappointed in the game when it first came out, but ultimately Lyman righted the ship and I came around. The artwork does kinda suck tho. There's only so much you can do to make it look ok in a lineup of games with hand drawn art. It's also not a theme for everyone. TMNT looks better and has more mass appeal, but is a fairly average Stern, imo. Both games are on the difficult side.

Over and over I hear people say “Lyman fixed TWD

but you never hear the same about TMNT, which is unfair, since Dwight listened to the community with TMNT and added and fixed all kinds of things.

I miss Lyman like anyone who enjoys great code, but we need to start giving people their praise while they’re still with us, and Dwight needs to be recognized for what he did with TMNT code.

#21 9 months ago

Have owned TWD pro 3 different times, an LE and currently have a premium. Had a TMNT pro for about a year.

Both games are comparably difficult, which I enjoy. TMNT has great code, but the scoring felt very strange and off putting, which was ultimately why I sold it. A long, satisfying game on it didn’t necessarily equal a large score unless you played in a very specific way.

It’s a gorgeous looking game and even though I was a massive fan of the franchise as a kid, as a kid less middle aged man…it felt strange having this game in the house.

TWD….everything just feels right. The code is deep, but not too deep to be confusing, all the shots are satisfying to hit over and over again, even more so with how the code on the game works during modes.

It looks pretty hideous but I appreciate the entire PF looks like a generic zombie pin, it’s not a collage of actors. If you have small kids do not buy TWD, it scares the hell out of them. #1 reason people sell the game.

I’d go with TWD

#22 9 months ago

Do you prefer getting punched in the nuts or kicked?

#23 9 months ago

in-between

200.gif200.gif
#24 9 months ago

Thank you guys for the recommendations! You guys are awesome! Much appreciated

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 23.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 7,000.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Mariposa, CA
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

$ 52.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Waxhaw, NC
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twd-or-tmnt- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.