(Topic ID: 129245)

TSPP Garage Door Mod - how many interested?

By KeithinMI

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

led.jpg
51ChXT+V4xL._SX385_.jpg
coil.jpg
#1 8 years ago

A bunch of us posted on Hemi's original thread for the TSPP garage door mod. I didn't see any response, so I figured I would go ahead and make one of my own and would reproduce it for anyone who is interested. I can get to making a prototype this weekend and get it all figured out to recreate it for people, but before I go through the effort, I'm just curious about how many would have interest in buying one.

My initial thoughts are making a two LED solution that would light the inside of the garage when the door is opened. I'm pretty open to the idea of color/colors for the mod, since I'll just buy the LED's for it in bulk.

I haven't gotten into the machine to take a look at mounting options, but I don't think I'd need much more than an LED or two, a couple of current limiting resistors, some heat shrink tubing, some zip ties, a couple of connectors to tie it into the playfield, and *maybe* a piece of metal as a mounting bracket.

Let me know how many of you would be interested in me making this mod, and I can figure out a parts price and bulk order everything, and can either send you a "kit" (eg., you assemble it and install it), or a finished mod, ready to install (either via soldering [permanent installation to the coil lugs], or via a 'clip-on' solution that would require no soldering.

#2 8 years ago

I might be interested. I guess it would depend on the cost.

#3 8 years ago

same here

#4 8 years ago

Interested, but depends on the cost.

#5 8 years ago

I will figure out the cost of the materials and then put a reasonable number on my labor to assemble them and create an instruction manual for you guys as well and then just put it on here and be transparent about it so you can figure out whether it's a reasonable amount to pay for it, and we can collectively decide if I should produce them.

#6 8 years ago

A light IN the garage? Meh. For me, there's several other mods I would/will probably get before that one. But I wish you luck and success in your endeavor nonetheless.

#7 8 years ago

Well, my concept was a light in the garage that lights when the garage is open, much as your garage lights when you open it (presuming, of course you have a garage). I'm certainly open to other suggestions.

#8 8 years ago

Another vote in the interested depending on price camp.

And here's the original thread if anyone can't visualize this.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-mod-for-tspp-the-garage-door-mod-for-4000-by-hemi

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from KeithinMI:

Well, my concept was a light in the garage that lights when the garage is open, much as your garage lights when you open it (presuming, of course you have a garage). I'm certainly open to other suggestions.

I get it. Perhaps I shouldn't have emphasized the word IN. Makes sense. I've got no other suggestions.

Saw the videos just now. It does look cool. Maybe eventually I'd buy in, but I'd probably still do other mods before that one. FWIW.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#10 8 years ago

As long as it was reasonably priced, I'd be in.

#11 8 years ago

I have been busy on some other projects and I never said that I would not make these anymore. If there was enough interested parties, I can build more of them.

Steve
Pinball Refinery

#12 8 years ago

well there you go! I would not step on Steve's toes - If he's going to build them, I won't usurp his market and I'd buy from him.

#13 8 years ago

Why don't we just add an LED strip from comet pinball. Clip, stick and play? About $2?

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

Cant you just add an LED strip from comet pinball. Clip, stick and play? About $2?

you could do that, as long as you add a current limiting resistor to bring the voltage down to what the led strip needs. My thought would be to tie it into the coil that raises the garage door. If my memory serves me correctly, the coil hold voltage is 50v, so you'd need to pad that down with the appropriate resistor to whatever the strip requires. Oh, and since the coil voltage is AC, you probably want to put a diode in the circuit along with a capacitor across the circuit to smooth the DC as well that the strip will see to prevent flicker.

Edit: just checked - the strips from Comet require 12v, so therefore if you're going to use the 50v coil-hold voltage, you need to drop the voltage down.

#15 8 years ago

I think we are over thinking it. The door closes, hence blocking the light. Just wire the LED strip to the GI. the 6.5v LED strips from comet pinball. Door opens, you see light. Door closes, you don't see light.

#16 8 years ago

Also, that solenoid that lifts the garage door is a low current 20v DC Solenoid "26-1200
090-5044-00T". Not a 50v.

So you could get this DC 10-30V
and wire it right into the solenoid.

http://www.amazon.com/HERO-LED-Replacement-Under-counter-Under-cabinet-Landscape/dp/B00QE2TW5M/ref=sr_1_19

51ChXT+V4xL._SX385_.jpg51ChXT+V4xL._SX385_.jpg
led.jpgled.jpg
coil.jpgcoil.jpg

#17 8 years ago

How would you wire that, one wire to one solenoid lug, the other wire to the other Solenoid lug, both wired directly to the leads on the LED you show?

Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

Also, that solenoid that lifts the garage door is a low current 20v DC Solenoid "26-1200
090-5044-00T". Not a 50v.
So you could get this DC 10-30V
and wire it right into the solenoid.
amazon.com link »
51ChXT+V4xL._SX385_.jpg
led.jpg
coil.jpg

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

How would you wire that, one wire to one solenoid lug, the other wire to the other Solenoid lug, both wired directly to the leads on the LED you show?

Correct, I would attach some alligator clips to the LED and just test it first before you solder it. Also, I only use clips for testing. You don't want a clip to fall off during gameplay and short something out. But I wont lie, I have used them for awhile. Hell, I wonder if I still do and forgot to solder it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 16.00
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 45.95
9,899 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Youngstown, OH
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-garage-door-mod-how-many-interested and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.