Trying to decide

By gman88

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hi all,

Looking to purchase my first NIB pin but torn on what to get and would love some feedback. I've basically narrowed it down to ST Premium or MBR SE but I'm open to other ideas as well. A little background... I grew up with pins in the home as my father was an avid collector but this will be the first pin I've owned. I would say I'd be a casual player. I have 4 kids ranging in age from 22 to 10 and they are mostly PC gamers but have played the odd pin over the years. My 10 year old recently got hooked on TWD while we at a resort and told me we should get a pinball machine. My wife chimed in and said she likes them as well and I said I should get one so here I am I love ST and really like MB so I'm torn on what direction I should go. I'm not sure my 10 year old would love ST and my wife is not a into that theme either but my older sons and I are and I know we'd probably play them the most (my 10 year old is a Fortnite addict and not sure how long pins would appeal to him lol). So do I get a pin I know I'd love and play or get a pin I really like and one that will appeal to the whole family like MB?

#2 5 years ago

Get one the wife likes, that way se won't stop you from getting more pins in the future

#3 5 years ago

Haha. Good point. Happy wife=more pins!

#4 5 years ago

How much room do you have to grow the collection? If you can only get a couple of more, I say hold off until October to decide what to buy. There are about to be quite a few new games getting announced between now and then.

#5 5 years ago

I have a Star Trek pro, wife’s favorite pin. You could always get a used one for $4500 and a nib mb classic for less than $6000 if you’re looking to save money. I’d definitely get a pin that everyone will enjoy, pinball is so much more fun when your wife wants to play every day

#6 5 years ago

ST premium has a beautiful light show and satisfying shots. I'm not a Trekkie but love this pin. I have no plans of it leaving unless I could trade up for the LE with a better light show.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from gman88:

ranging in age from 22 to 10 and they are mostly PC gamers but have played the odd pin over the years. My 10 year old recently got hooked on TWD while we at a resort and told me we should get a pinball machine.

Your 10 year old seems to have genuine interest in pins and good taste. Everyone else will enjoy a flip or two.

Listen to THAT guy!

#8 5 years ago

ST is a great pin, but the rules are not necessarily self evident especially if you haven't played much. MB is a lot of fun, great humor, theme that resonates with many and rules that are easy to get. So to get everyone bitten by the pin bug I'd go with MB first unless everyone has connection to ST theme

Can't go wrong with LOTR either, it has something for everyone and a great theme

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Greeley, CO
£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 33.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 24.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Asheville, NC
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 24.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trying-to-decide and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.