Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by markp99
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I removed my original JP power supply board when the HV leg appeared to have failed (for the DMD). I replaced with a Rottendog board as this seemed the shortest path to confirming my issue was with the DMD or the PS itself, and getting the machine back into playing condition. All is well.

As I have some time available now, I thought it might be a fun little project to try and diagnose and repair the old board. No harm, no foul if I fail.

Questions:

1. What's the best method to get power to this board to test my repairs? I'd much prefer not to have to insert/remove from the JP backbox until I am confident the board is functional. Plus, accessibility of the PS behind the backbox door hinge a real pain in the butt.

Is it reasonable/feasible to make an extension cable (~15ft to my bench), and connect the 4 wires coming off the transformer via the nearby Molex connector? These are pretty hefty wires (2x White, 2x Yellow); what AWG and Pin diameter here?

2. Any other connections required to confirm output voltages from the remote PS Board?

Any suggestions or cautions?

#2 8 years ago

Your best bet is to determine what is broken - what voltage is missing - and fix that on the bench, then reinstall and test voltages in the backbox with inputs plugged in, but outputs unplugged.

I would not make the long cord to get the voltages to your bench.

The 4 wires are the GI windings, you want the ones that go to the 12 and 6 pin 093 connectors to get input voltage and ground for the logic and HV.

#3 8 years ago

Thanks John,

I'll proceed as you suggest.

The PS is not terribly dense so a pretty quick check with a DMM.

1. Found a cracked diode (D5, 1N4004), but the remaining diodes checkout ok. I have a pile of these so will make the quick repair
2. No open or shorted legs on the bridge rectifier
3. No open or shorted resistors
4. No shorted transistor legs
5. No shorted, leaking or swollen caps
6. Did not know where to begin with the relay - nothing burned or visually obvious.

I'll take another pass when I return this evening

#4 8 years ago

Last DE power supply i fixed had a single bad zener diode in the display area. Zener was shorted and blowing the HV fuse.

Check the zener diodes.

#5 8 years ago

For testing zeners, is there much more to check with a DMM in ckt than short or high resistance in both directions?

#6 8 years ago

blown zener diodes are usually shorted, so you can test this in circuit. If a zener is OPEN it is probably because it went short and burned up before a fuse blew, open zeners will usually look visually burnt.

DMM on diode test look for short, shorted diode will always show up. You have to examine the circuit if you can trust the voltage drop reading/test without lifting one leg.

#7 8 years ago

D5 was it. Zeners all looked and tested as expected. Yeesh, a $0.05 item.

I'm thinking of leaving the original DE PS board in place, and holding on to the Rottendog board just in case...

I also think the JP 60Hz speaker hum is somewhat reduced with this old board than with the Rottendog board. Hmmm.

#8 8 years ago

dup

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

4,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vienna, VA
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/troubleshoot-power-supply-board-out-of-backbox and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.