53%

(153 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bacon.jpg
tron cupcake.jpg
image.jpg
images (27).jpg
There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 9 years ago

I'm solidifying a deal on one of these two. I'm looking for a quick and challenging players game. Theme for me is a nod to Tron but I own one of Aurich's TLs that would look nice in a Shadow. What are your thoughts? I'm looking for a tough, quick ball time game.

I know, you can't choose for me, etc, etc... Please just state what you like about either/both. It would be particularly nice to hear from those of you who have owned both.

#2 9 years ago

They are both quick and challenging and the most recent two DMDs that I have let go. Apparently the ones I kept I liked better. But while they were here they got plenty of play. Hope I don't miss them. Probably won't.

#3 9 years ago

Tron, obviously.

#4 9 years ago

TRON for theme and adrenaline rush gameplay. Also, music. Quorra multiball and Portal are so ridiculous. Gets you into the game so hard.

#5 9 years ago

Both are fun. Only one of them is the greatest pin ever made. Hope you make the right choice, Hougie!

#6 9 years ago

Erik, you are so sneaky. I put my money on you being a Tron fan. What say you??

#8 9 years ago

You posted this too early! April fools day is on Wednesday.

#9 9 years ago

Tron by a mile.

#10 9 years ago

The Shadow is 1/2-3/5 the price of a Tron and I like them both pretty equally. Therefore, my vote goes for The Shadow.

#11 9 years ago

Both amazing games, but I have to go with my favorite.......The Shadow

#12 9 years ago

get both !

#13 9 years ago

Tron...easily!

#14 9 years ago

Owned both, sold both (Shadow twice). Would definitely take Shadow over Tron.

While Tron is a great game, there isn't much original about the layout or gameplay. No game plays like the Shadow. Nor does any other game know what EVIL LURKS IN THE HEARTS OF MEN

#16 9 years ago

a well tuned Shadow is hard to beat.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

a well tuned Shadow is hard to beat.

Yeah, if money is no object I would rather have a mint Shadow. I wish Daft Punk didn't shit the bed on the soundtrack for Tron. The Glitch Mob fan made Tron trailer I thought was better than anything Daft Punk put in the movie. I would like Tron more if I could sub out the music.

#18 9 years ago

Have had both. Tron wins for sound, speed, adrenaline - but shadow wins hands down for game play, depth- it has more staying power in my opinion.
My vote for TS.

#19 9 years ago

Don't underestimate the Shadow, epic flow and music - some of the best in my opinion

#20 9 years ago

Alec Baldwin is the greatest actor in the world! Don't even try to out-act him. TS every day of the week,duh!

#21 9 years ago

easy peasy .... TRON!

#22 9 years ago

Not even close for me, Tron by a mile. TS theme just does nothing for me although the pin is much better than the movie and has unique gameplay. In the end go for which one you like best.

#23 9 years ago

Brian Eddy designed 3 top games. The only one that I bought twice was TS.

Tron is great unless you like to play on both sides of the field, then it lacks, well, 2 sides of a play field.

However, I love you, centerflank.

#24 9 years ago

Shadow for half the price all day. The games are close overall so save your 2.5k for another day.

#26 9 years ago

I've owned two Shadow's and it's an outstanding game. Tron I haven't owned but hop over to my friend Tom's to play any chance I get. As big of a fan of Shadow as I am, I'd rather play Tron. I really recommend getting an external sub for it, the sound is incredible and really pumps you into the game. They're both fast and mean. Tron is fun to mod out. Shadow has better dots. Tron is harder to beat. Any choice is a good choice but Tron is really a special pin.

#27 9 years ago

I own both. I love them both. If I had to choose one to keep it would be Shadow. But I'd rather not choose.

Shadow is just an awesome playing game that's been held back by a translite and so-so movie theme. But even with the movie not being great the actual Shadow theme is awesome, the game has great music and callouts, and the translite you've got fixed already.

It's always way cheaper than Tron.

But seriously, I solved the dilemma by having both of them!

#28 9 years ago

I'm leaning toward Tron but it sounds like either would be awesome. All of the traders may flake out and I may end up with neither. We shall see....

Thanks for the input!! Great points and suggestions.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from The_Gorilla:

However, I love you, centerflank.

Quoted from Det_Deckard:

Yeah, if money is no object I would rather have a mint Shadow. I wish Daft Punk didn't shit the bed on the soundtrack for Tron. The Glitch Mob fan made Tron trailer I thought was better than anything Daft Punk put in the movie. I would like Tron more if I could sub out the music.

You can sub out the music but from the first part of your post Id guess you aren't smart enough to do so.

#30 9 years ago

Shadow is a solid game, but Tron all the way!

#31 9 years ago

Tron. Had both, sold shadow and kept tron, really really like both, Tron by a mile in my opinion

#32 9 years ago

Tron FTW both great games but I find Tron more compelling with that one more game mentality.

#33 9 years ago

Shadow is fantastic. Tron gets boring pretty quick.

#34 9 years ago

Both are great games but for the money I'd go Shadow. You said you're looking for a quick ball time game, and I think TS wins that category in this matchup. Aurichs TL looks amazing in it as well, that's how I have mine set up. You will not get bored with TS, unless you really prefer easier games. Trying to get to Final Battle is always a challenge. Once you have it lit, it feels like the hardest shot in pinball to make.

Plus you own two newer Sterns already. Tron isn't going to play drastically different than these, and the two you own are arguably better games. Shadow will fit in that lineup nicely!

#35 9 years ago

Get the shadow.

And then get a congo. Tron is a knockoff of it anyway.

#36 9 years ago

Tron! Best modern Stern! Mods galore

#37 9 years ago

Both top games, can't go wrong either way. If I could only have one, would be The Shadow.

#38 9 years ago

The Shadow Knows and now so do you.

#39 9 years ago

I have only played both a couple of times. I'm really going to have to think on this one... I guess it will depend largely on which is the better deal.

#40 9 years ago

I know I'm still in the honeymoon phase, but I really can't say enough about TS. Great layout. There are a ton of shots, 9 to be exact, which is amazing on a standard width table. Ramp diverters are genius and allow you to return the ball to either flipper from either ramp at your discretion. I think the Battlefield is a riot, but you can disable it if you don't like the interruption in flow. It has one of the coolest ball lock gimmicks ever. It has a secret mode! The one video mode is well integrated so it doesn't get boring and its quick so it won't stop action too long. It's possible to get at least up to a 7 shot combo. There are 4 leaderboards it maintains. It's really an overlooked gem of the B/W heyday.

The only things that I am disappointed in are the much loathed translate, which isn't that terrible, and I wish the thing had pop bumpers. I think a couple exiting an orbit like in WH2O would be great so you could thread them to keep the flow or aim to hit them for rules purposes. And pops are just a preference thing, their absence definitely doesn't diminish the game.

Haven't played more than a couple dozen games on TRON so I can't really comment on it too much, but that's a rundown on TS. I'll end with this, after playing and having my butt handed to me thoroughly by TS over the last few weeks, I woke up on Sunday morning and put new GC scores on TOTAN, CV and IJ. 5 plays between the three. Definitely a good game for building your skill.

#41 9 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Tron is a knockoff of it anyway.

This is such BS, I'm assuming you are saying Tron is a knockoff of FH, they don't play the same, it's like saying IM is a knockoff of AP. Tron is a fantastic game, one of the best ever.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from TheRave:

Plus you own two newer Sterns already. Tron isn't going to play drastically different than these, and the two you own are arguably better games.

Tron doesn't play anything like LOTR.

It's like saying AFM plays the same as TZ because they are both B/W games.

#44 9 years ago

Does it make a difference if it's Tron LE or pro version? Never played the game. Read how the LE does not have much more than the pro.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from nintendo:

Does it make a difference if it's Tron LE or pro version? Never played the game. Read how the LE does not have much more than the pro.

I don't think the LE is much better than the pro. I'd say the same. LE has moving recognizer which is cool but doesn't effect play, LE has lighted ramps which is cool but can be added to a pro. LE has drop targets on the left side, don't know if this is good or bad. LE has a special extra mode if you make so many side ramp shots, that's cool too bad that was not on the pro, probably the biggest most important aspect. LE has full side armor and lockdown mech which is also better but doesn't effect gameplay and could be added to the pro.

#46 9 years ago

Says a lot for the Shadow that this thread even exists.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

This is such BS, I'm assuming you are saying Tron is a knockoff of FH, they don't play the same, it's like saying IM is a knockoff of AP. Tron is a fantastic game, one of the best ever.

Relax sir. My posting was only my feeble opinion. Isn't that what this is all about anyway?

Personally I wasn't a big fan of Tron. I don't like the theme nor the colors/art on the playfield. And it does indeed have the same layout as congo.

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from nintendo:

Does it make a difference if it's TRON LE or pro version? Never played the game. Read how the LE does not have much more than the pro.

Pro with ELI Mod is the better light show.

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I don't think the LE is much better than the pro. I'd say the same. LE has moving recognizer which is cool but doesn't effect play, LE has lighted ramps which is cool but can be added to a pro. LE has drop targets on the left side, don't know if this is good or bad. LE has a special extra mode if you make so many side ramp shots, that's cool too bad that was not on the pro, probably the biggest most important aspect. LE has full side armor and lockdown mech which is also better but doesn't effect gameplay and could be added to the pro.

Awesome dude, thanks for the heads up. I remember reading a thread a while back and people seemed to have trouble comparing the two. You did in just one paragraph.

Doesn't the LE have the "Daft Punk Multiball" mode?

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Pro with ELI Mod is the better light show.

Interesting. I've seen some really pimped pro models before. Just never understood why someone would want to pay $XXXX extra to get the LE model...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Trade
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-vs-the-shadow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.