• 20 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by davewtf
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

Sorry to do this again..
Ive posted a few threads about SM and the like..

I played a standard Tron and liked it allot!

SM I've played a few times and it didn't grab me as much. It is good but the theme is not really me. However in saying that, I do understand that a pin can take more than a few goes to really get into it.
I guess with all the hype surrounding SM it sort of sways me to think that would be more bang for my buck. ?? (Keep in mind prices are similar for either machine)

I actually appreciate the fact that the Tron PF is not so busy!
And like how the ball flies all over the place and moves soo smoothly.

Just wanted a few opinions on which is actually a better game? As I have not spent a great deal on both respectively.
Im guessing majority will say SM hands down.

But there has to be Tron lovers here who know both machines well.
I own AFM which to me is a little similar to SM.
I could be totally off the path here!! But the UFO drop target mechanism and ramps are quite similar in AFM to SM

Ive also obtained a T2 which im picking up this week and an ACDC le on the way.
So if i had the $ would I go Tron or SM? Cant do both!

Im thinking of selling a few of my others to get something else. But need help in deciding.
This is just an idea I'm toying with at the moment. Call it fantasizing!

#2 12 years ago

Talk to jarjarisgod. He has both.

#3 12 years ago

lmao. man you're worse than i am about making a decision about lunch. if i can offer any advice, tron le isn't as big a difference from the pro as everyone makes it out to be. all you lose is the daft punk MB and the ramps. then again these ramps on tron break, don't think i'd like to replace a LED covered one for 500$ probably.

#4 12 years ago

i like tron better but i've played it more. I suspect it would be a draw for me after more plays on SM. Both are excellent choices.

#5 12 years ago

My Tron LE & Spiderman are hands down my two favorite games of the 100+ I've had.

#6 12 years ago

They are both great games. SM is probably better for new players, where Tron can kick even the best players behinds.

I actually think they complement each other well.

But based on what you already own....go for Tron. The music is pretty bad ass.

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from Riffbear:

Sorry to do this again..
Ive posted a few threads about SM and the like..
I played a standard Tron and liked it allot!
SM I've played a few times and it didn't grab me as much. It is good but the theme is not really me. However in saying that, I do understand that a pin can take more than a few goes to really get into it.
I guess with all the hype surrounding SM it sort of sways me to think that would be more bang for my buck. ?? (Keep in mind prices are similar for either machine)
I actually appreciate the fact that the Tron PF is not so busy!
And like how the ball flies all over the place and moves soo smoothly.
Just wanted a few opinions on which is actually a better game? As I have not spent a great deal on both respectively.
Im guessing majority will say SM hands down.
But there has to be Tron lovers here who know both machines well.
I own AFM which to me is a little similar to SM.
I could be totally off the path here!! But the UFO drop target mechanism and ramps are quite similar in AFM to SM
Im thinking of selling a few of my others to get something else. But need help in deciding.
This is just an idea I'm toying with at the moment. Call it fantasizing!

Most everything you said has you leaning towards Tron so might as well go with that title. Ive had both and chose SM over Tron LE cause I am not one thats of the opinion that SM & AFM play the same.

But you said the style of play in Tron seems to grab you most so i'd go that way if I were you.

#8 12 years ago
Quoted from Riffbear:

Get rid of T2, tell your distributor to keep ACDC:LE, and buy both SM and Tron:LE! J/K (Kind of...)

I own both machines and have to agree with Smassa's take. You sound like you already have convinced yourself that Tron is the way to go. And if you go Tron you have to go LE. Accept no substitute!

For me it would be a difficult choice between the two. I love them both for different reasons. Tron:LE is one of the most beautiful machines ever made (other than the playfield art), has one of the best soundtracks (possible the best), and unrelenting gameplay. It is brutal at times, but so much fun when you manage to put together a good game. You really can't go wrong with this one.

However... SM is also awesome. It has a great lightshow, fun callouts, good soundtrack, and flow you normally can only dream about. I'm also a fan of the art package. It takes a less is more approach and makes it work. Oh, and Battle Royale rocks as far as pre-Wizard modes go (Haven't made it to Super Hero yet).

In the end a person really can't go wrong with either machine, but I think based on what you said you should go with Tron:LE. Good luck finding one at a decent price. They seem to be pretty hard to come by these days.

#9 12 years ago

Buy what you like to play....should be that simple

#10 12 years ago

I own both..... so ya, get both.

#11 12 years ago

Playing JarJar's machines side-by-side (thanks again jarjar!) I preferred Tron LE. It was the first time I had a real good chance to give it a go, I've played SM a handful of times before. Both are good machines, but Tron LE is awesome.

#12 12 years ago

I've owned both as well and prefer SM.

#13 12 years ago

I really enjoy both machines as they are both in my top ten. That said, SM is my all time favorite machine with no really close second.

Quoted from iceman44:

Buy what you like to play....should be that simple

Yuup that is all that really matters right there well said.

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Playing JarJar's machines side-by-side (thanks again jarjar!) I preferred Tron LE. It was the first time I had a real good chance to give it a go, I've played SM a handful of times before. Both are good machines, but Tron LE is awesome.

agreed

#15 12 years ago

I've owned both SM and BSM as well as Tron LE. They are both awesome games without a doubt. I sold both SM's and had a chance to get another one but chose to get a Tron instead. I will say that for me, I am happy that I bought the TLE. The gameplay is just as fast as SM if not faster and the lightshow is incredible. Once Lyman gets done with the final code it will be a masterpiece!

Also, don't believe it when people say that the LE ramps do not add anything to the game. Simply untrue. Imagine CV without the neon only x2 and better implementation with the sound, modes and music.

All that being said, with the line-up you have already Tron is a no brainer.

#16 12 years ago

This is a close call, but I have to say SM on this one.

#17 12 years ago

I guess It depends.. Tron Pro Vs SM= SM... Tron LE VS SM= Tron LE But that's going to be a pretty big price difference at this point I would guess 1,500-2k?

I'm Sad because I sold the last Tron LE before I installed 1.4 Software on it =(

#18 12 years ago

+3 I want Tron, such a good game... plus it just looks so BA. SM was cool, should of played it more. Hope to get more time on it, I really don't think you could go wrong with either of these... in fact I agree with jarjar, get both!

Playing JarJar's machines side-by-side (thanks again jarjar!)

and Yes thanks jarjar!

#19 12 years ago

Thanks for your replies everyone.
I wouldn't go LE as that's way too much for pretty ramps.

And no way would I say keep the T2!!
Have wanted that game for a long time.
It's a classic and plays so well.

I'm going to play more tron this weekend and see how I go off loading one of the others in my collection.

#20 12 years ago

I think SM has a better chance to appreciate vs. tron based on how they are priced right now. That doesn't matter to me but it couldn't hurt.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Lombard, IL
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Trade
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-or-spiderman-fantasy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.