(Topic ID: 26367)

Travel: I think I need to set better limits...

By awarner

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN0238.JPG
    DSCN0225.JPG
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

I know there was a thread about how far you've driven to pick up or play a game, but this is a little different.

History: I took a trip this past weekend to pick up a game in NE Ohio. I live north of Atlanta, so it was going to be difficult drive. What made it more difficult was that my wife had to work the 3-11 shift on Sunday so we needed to be home in the morning.

We left at about 8:00pm when we should have hit the road at 6:00pm on Friday, but getting the kids ready to watch the house took more time than it should have. Our pre-booked Holiday Inn Express hotel room was 5 hours away so yes, that meant we got there at 1:00am. Back on the road at 8:00am and on to visit friends near Cincy. Spent a too brief hour visiting and onto the last leg. 4.5 hours to where the game was, spent about 45 minutes loading and talking about games and back on the road home. Pulled in at about 9:00am on Sunday - really hadn't slept much and we had both driven about 1/2 of it coming home.

It's Monday and I'm still not feeling well. I think I'm flying to Expo...

#2 11 years ago

wow what game was it?

#3 11 years ago

Perhaps you forgot that you are no longer in the 18 - 25 year old age group.
    Or perhaps because you "stayed at a Holiday Inn Express", you thought you would be high energy roadtrippers.
    At least you got a lot out of the weekend.
    Anything funny happen on your road trip? Any drama out on the road that you saw?
    Did wifey enjoy the quality time spent together?

Just another exciting aspect of pinball. Glad you made it back safe!

#4 11 years ago

Ah but the game is so much better when you have to work for it. Now whenever you look at it you will remember the epic journey it took to get it.

There and back again... lol

#5 11 years ago

Yeah - It was a Champion Pub and I traded some non-pinball hobby equipment and some money for it. This was stuff I wouldn't need anymore and the game seller would get use of immediately.

Yes, I also admit, I'm 50 now and although I still act like I'm 20, it's getting a lot harder to do stuff.

Nothing funny, we had a nice visit with a fellow Pinsider though. Awesome collection of games. I took pictures!

The game is in awesome shape and the deal was great for both sides. But the travel - Ugh!

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from awarner:

Yes, I also admit, I'm 50 now and although I still act like I'm 20

Don't worry, give or take a few years, you are not the first to behave like this. Count me in!

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from awarner:

I know there was a thread about how far you've driven to pick up or play a game, but this is a little different.
    History: I took a trip this past weekend to pick up a game in NE Ohio. I live north of Atlanta, so it was going to be difficult drive. What made it more difficult was that my wife had to work the 3-11 shift on Sunday so we needed to be home in the morning.
    We left at about 8:00pm when we should have hit the road at 6:00pm on Friday, but getting the kids ready to watch the house took more time than it should have. Our pre-booked Holiday Inn Express hotel room was 5 hours away so yes, that meant we got there at 1:00am. Back on the road at 8:00am and on to visit friends near Cincy. Spent a too brief hour visiting and onto the last leg. 4.5 hours to where the game was, spent about 45 minutes loading and talking about games and back on the road home. Pulled in at about 9:00am on Sunday - really hadn't slept much and we had both driven about 1/2 of it coming home.
    It's Monday and I'm still not feeling well. I think I'm flying to Expo...

Could have shipped for $350--you probably spent $800 going there, but that hour in Cincy was probably worth it LOL.

#8 11 years ago

The problem was all the stuff going to OH as well, this was a trade deal. I'm happy with the end results. Still tired though..:

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#9 11 years ago

All the machines I've acquired past & present, I drove & picked them up.
    Yes, on a couple trips I could have saved money by having them shipped, but not all trips.
    On a couple trips a friend came with me, so that made the trips much more fun.
    One trip turned into a mini-vacation, so the extra money spent on that trip doesn't count towards pinball shipping expenses correct?
    Fortunately, no problems encountered so far on my pinball roadtrips concerning:
    vehicle break downs, accidents/wrecks, speeding tickets, road rage, damaged machines (except minor cabinet dings), etc.

At age 51, I'll also admit that it's getting harder to still act like a 20-something yr old.

#10 11 years ago

I think gas vs shipping price should be considered here. How much did you spend in gas alone besides all the time you invested?

Glad you got a machine you really wanted though

enjoy

#11 11 years ago

The good thing was, the mini-van, does pretty good on gas so I'd say it cost us around $250. Prolly similar to shipping. The one night hotel was $80.00 (with discounts). Other than feeling so beat up after it was over, it wasn't terrible. If I had to ship the stuff I took as well as the shipping back, it's prolly about equal. The "price" of the game was awesome so I'm fine with the cost aspect of the trip, just not the pain...

#12 11 years ago

I always look at it this way. It's a hobby so it should be fun and interesting. If the goal was to make money off this thing called pinball I would have given up ages ago.

Isn't there some quote out there. "Part of the trip is the journey?????" Maybe I made that up.

Nice score and congrats on a new addition to your collection.

Chris

#13 11 years ago

I had a 1000 mile trip similar to that to pick up my STTNG a month or so ago. I was a truck driver for 10 years, and I used to make that drive 3 times a week. This one hurt. I am only 40, but I could definitely feel the effects for days. I just did a 500 mile round trip on Sunday to pick up a Demo Man, and that is still a good range for me.

Between California Extreme and game pick ups, I have made 5 trips of 400 miles or more in the last 10 weeks. I think I am ready for a break. lol

#14 11 years ago

This reminds me of my and Brian's warehouse find in Sturgis SD. 620 miles and 10 hours one way in a 27' Penske rental truck.

We left at 6:00 AM New Years eve day and arrived in Sturgis around 4:00. If you've never driven that far in an empty truck, you're missing a real treat. And if you've never driven I90 in SD in the winter time, you're missing another real treat. The winds never quit blowing. We then spent the next 5 hours loading 22 games. By the time we got to Rapid City (where we spent the night), got a bite to eat, found out I f'ed up the hotel reservation, found another hotel along with a six pack and almost got arrested at a grocery store, we got to bed around 1:00 AM.

We were then on the road at 5:00 AM and made it back to town around 3:00. It was a great feeling the closer we got to home, but we then spent the next 4 hours unloading the truck and taking it back to the rental center. I think we finally made it home around 7:00. I think I was sleeping by 7:30. The following day I felt like I had been run over by a truck.

#15 11 years ago

Good story B_K. I guess you sorta felt like you got run over by a 27' Penske rental truck loaded w/ 22 pinball machines. What was the deal w/ the grocery store incident? Just short tempers?
    Also curious, was there any somewhat rare pins in that haul, anything interesting or spectacular w/ any of the pins? Sounds like the road conditions could have easily been much worse being that it was the dead of winter.

#16 11 years ago

You can search Pinside for "warehouse find" and get all the details.

We got to the grocery store about 5 minutes after it closed. About the time we're turning around to leave, two squads pull up. Turns out they had a silent alarm a couple minutes before we got there. Of course, it took about 15 minutes for the cops to check out our ID's and let us go.

#17 11 years ago

I had a similar experience to this 13 years ago, but then, I was 13 years younger:

http://alsarcade.com/81499Warehouse/index.html

#18 11 years ago

The first pic is our haul and the second is me about 9:00 PM after being on the road since 6:00 AM and spending the last 5 hours packing and loading pins. The last time we ate was late morning. I'm f'ing hungry and I want a f'ing beer.

Oh, did I mention it was New Years Eve day in SD and there was no heat in the warehouse.

DSCN0225.JPGDSCN0225.JPG DSCN0238.JPGDSCN0238.JPG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/travel-i-think-i-need-to-set-better-limits and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.