10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by SteveFury
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Newbie here. I’m thinking of finding an old EM machine and trying to fix it up and get it working again. I’m looking at this more from the tinkering side and less from the playing/collecting side.

I’m assuming I can find a machine on CL, but then how do I get it home? What suggestions are there on transporting the machine from the seller to your house? And then get it into your house?

On the plus side I have an F250 so that’s easy. The bed is 36” above the ground. I’m assuming I’d take off the head (and make sure I don’t break the backglass!) and legs and then lift/slide the playfield cabinet into the truck and tie it down. Typically, how heavy is the playfield cabinet? Do you always transport it PF up, or can you roll it on the side? Is this a always a 2-man job?

What tools do you normally take? Dolly? Hand truck? Moving pad/blankets? Ratchet straps? Adjustable wrench?

Thanks in advance and sorry if I got any of the jargon wrong.

#2 10 years ago

I use my pickup for pins also.

Yes, legs and head off. Careful of the backglass. Take the ball(s) out so it's not flying around inside the machine.
    Figure about 200 pounds for the body. That's probably a bit high, but in the range.
    You CAN put a pin on it's side, but probably best not to. I've unloaded by myself, but loading (especially as tall as your bed is) is way better with two people.

Take more tools than you could possibly need, you never know. A socket set and/or a set of wrenches are essential.

I just take a few blankets to put under / over / around as needed. You should strap it down so it does not become a missile in an accident.

Good luck and have fun!

#3 10 years ago

make sure the owner has keys for the game. also if in a pickup think about the weather.

#4 10 years ago

Put the cabinet in the bed of your truck and cover it with moving blankets (and a tarp if rain might happen) and ratchet strap it down. Put the head inside the cab. You want to move it with the bottom on the bed, unless you like tearing up the artwork on the side.

Putting it into and getting it out of the bed is a two man job. You can easily move the game with a two wheeler.

You'll need a couple wrenches to get the head bolts and leg bolts off. If it's locked up and they don't have the keys, a drill to get the back door lock off, or you might be able to do it with a screwdriver-just swipe it and you can sometimes break the lock.

#5 10 years ago

also take pictures for us lol

#6 10 years ago

9/16ths and 5/8ths are usually enough for what I've seen. Head goes in my back seat floor board and I back the seat up enough to pin the head between the seats. I use a big sheet of cardboard underneath to slide the cabinet into the bed. Cardboard is better than a blanket underneath in my experience because it will reduce the chance that the cab will catch and splinter.

I usually then just put a moving blanket between the game and the tailgate and then cover the bed with my "bak-flip" tonneau cover. The great thing about EM machines is that they'll fit underneath. For extra security, and for when I am carrying a larger cabinet, I have put a moving blanket over the game and then used a ratcheting tie down or two to lock the game down.

My F150 carries 2 EMs at a time, very comfortably.

#7 10 years ago

one thing i've found very useful is to bring a strong friend... both to pick it up and to get it in your house... pickup trucks work good...

here is a hint that has proven helpful for me...

if it proves to be too heavy (or is in a difficult spot, such as down a flight of stairs), keep in mind that em machines "come apart" simply by unplugging the jones plugs and removing a few bolts from the mech board... it is much easier to deal with stairs if you take the playfield and mech board out of the machine and carry them separately, it makes the cabinet a LOT lighter that way (and makes it easier to manipulate)...

my strong friend wasn't available one day, and doing that enabled my wife to help me move a machine... it would also allow me to move one by myself if i had to (although i dunno if i could get it up stairs by myself)...

good luck! and just as a warning, you might as well make room for more than 1 right now, because they multiply quickly...

#8 10 years ago

Old pins aren't heavy because it is easy to remove the backbox. Even my wife can help carry the cab and backbox with me.
    Definitely remove the backbox when transporting or it could break. also remove the balls, coinbox and any loose crap in the cabinet. Take off the legs before putting in the truck, trailer or car.
    I use thick cardboard in the bed of the truck. I then wrap the cab in a movers blanket (best) or thick blanket. Wratchet strap it down so it doesn't slide when some ahole pulls out in front of you.
    I put the backbox in the cab wrapped in a blanket so the weather and vibrations don't damage the backglass. Make sure it is secure and nothing is touching or can touch the glass. Then, make sure nothing is touching the glass again.

#9 10 years ago

I bring a large adjustable wrench, a large and a medium flat screwdriver. The large screwdriver has a square shank in case the owner doesn't have keys. In that case the wrench and screwdriver can rotate the lock, breaking it. Note that some owners may not realize the head key is hanging on a hook on the inside of the front door.

1. Remove the cashbox. Put the pinball (s) in the cashbox along with the leg and head bolts as you remove them. Also don't forget to remove the tilt ball next to the tilt bob.
    2. Unplug the jones plugs in the head and unbolt the head. Have someone help you to stand the head directly behind the cabinet.
    3. Put the rear of the cabinet ontop of one end of the head. That will raise the rear legs, and remove them.
    4. Set the rear of the cabinet on the floor. Stand the cabinet up and remove the front legs.
    5. Double check you have put everything in the cashbox and off you go.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/transportation-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.