• Latest reply 9 months ago by tcw16505
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Tales of the Arabian Nights Sw Matrix (resized).jpg
#1 9 months ago

I was looking at a friends TOTAN that prompted me to Check Errors. It showed "Check Inlane Left 26, Inlane Right 17 switches. I went into the switch test and pressed on the left rollover three times, nothing, but on the forth it would register after that. Same on the right side. I rebooted the machine and right back to the same issue. This is repeatable. Any ideas of what this might be about? It doesn't seem to be a typical Switch matrix issue to me. - Tom

#2 9 months ago

I'd suspect flaky switches. Hitting them a bunch of times cleaned them internally enough to work for a bit.

LTG : )

#3 9 months ago

My TOTAN shows similar switch errors even though the switches all work fine. And when I have found a bad switch, it wasn't the switch the error was calling out.

#4 9 months ago

First thing I’d try is cleaning the contacts. If you don’t have a switch file, a piece of paper or notecard will work - just slip it between the contacts, press down gently and pull the paper out.

Next, make sure the switches are gapped correctly. After that, make sure the wires are well-connected. Solder breaks all the time on my machine.

What does a switch test tell you?

#5 9 months ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

First thing I’d try is cleaning the contacts.

Micro mini switches would have to be broken open to get at the contacts.

#6 9 months ago

Pinballs report switch errors when either the game senses that a switch that shouldn't be on all the time is stuck on...

For instance your inlane switch isn't supposed to always be on. It activates when a ball rolls over it. So if the game detects that the switch is on all the time it reports that you need to 'check switch'.

Or, if the switch isn't activated for a certain amount of games/time, no closure of that switch at all, it reports that you need to 'check switch'. From memory I believe that a certain amount of time is ten games or thirty balls played... something like that.

So if the inlane switch didn't activate IN GAME for ten games, it would ask you to 'check switch'. The reason 'in game' is capitalized is that best practice is to actually start a game, and activate the switch in game. Don't just be in the test menu. That will reliably get the message to go away.

A common mistake is to activate the switch by pressing on it with your finger. You need to test the switch with a ball. Make sure the ball activates the switch. Your finger can activate things that the ball can't, and in-game you need the ball to register.

It is fairly common for black microswitches to become 'flaky'. To not click, or to click but not register a switch closure. Or they'll get 'sticky' where you push the wire down and it'll stick down.

Sometimes that's all about adjusting the switches or the switch activation wires, but...

Replacement of the black microswitches is very common.

I'd be prepared to replace those two switches.

#7 9 months ago

Like stated above, if you're having to hit it a few times for it to register, then it works ok and conks out again half an hour later, replace it, they're a couple bucks. Flaky switch.

I heard Bally got a couple batches of bad switches. I probably replaced 6 each on my AFM and SS. Same issues. Just get half a dozen and toss them in your toolbox. You can swap the wireform from the old one to the new one.

#8 9 months ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

I heard Bally got a couple batches of bad switches.

From AFM on, if you crack them open flux got in them from manufacturing. They work slow or not at all. Often fine in test but fail in game play.

#9 9 months ago

listen and make sure you can hear each switch clicking. they get gummed up quite often and just need a shot of cleaner and some fiddling with them.

#10 9 months ago

Thank you for all your replies, grateful! I just might have two from another repair a month or so back (I had yellow goo gumming them up and used IPA to bring them to life until replacements arrived). These move freely and have me a bit concerned about what els might be wrong. I'll see what gives. - Tom

#11 9 months ago

I just had enough time to drop bye and replace only the left in-lane rollover micro switch. I played it in game and allowed the ball to roll over it several time, I rebooted it and still got "Check Inlane Left 26, Inlane Right 17 switches". You can imagine my disappointment.

I am assuming the next step would be to look at a switch matrix issue (See image)? - Tom

Tales of the Arabian Nights Sw Matrix (resized).jpgTales of the Arabian Nights Sw Matrix (resized).jpg
#12 9 months ago
Quoted from tcw16505:

I am assuming the next step would be to look at a switch matrix issue

Did it work in Tests - Switch Edge ? If so I'd try a factory restore to get crap out of memory and see if it returns.

#13 9 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

Did it work in Tests - Switch Edge ?

Unfortunately there wasn't time enough for me to check. I'll be back over there midweek. I'll try the factory restore then. If that doesn't do it, I guess Ill try checking the diode on 27, the Right Out-lane. - Tom

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
$ 119.99
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 36.95
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 37.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totan-tales-of-the-arabian-nights-inlane-left-26-inlane-right-17 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.