ToM: My trap door won't stay up :(

By NJGecko

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Just got back my power driver board from having some work done. Some issues fixed. One remaining issue is that the trap door won't stay open. It pretty much pops momentarily and that's the extent of it. That goes for when it's supposed to raise to let a ball be shot in or when it's trying to eject a ball.
When I go to the trap door solenoid test, it's the same thing.
Wondering if it's got to to with the coil itself or I'm thinking it's something on the power driver board.

Any suggestions?

I can verify it's not the CPU, I swapped in a brand new PinLED board, same behavior.

#2 11 years ago

Note that there seems to be a known issue with Mantis stainless weldments causing this occasionally.

Guess that may be it. I'm going to maybe try to pull some windings from the coil and go from there.

Anyone deal with this?

#3 11 years ago

Greg was the original weldment that damaged? It's probably coil strength with the mantis weldment but if you can swap in the old one temporarily to see that would work. (Or remove windings, how much I don't know? 10-15 turns at a time?)

#4 11 years ago

Hey Alex,

Yea....the old weldment was pretty beaten up and I figured what the heck, for $60 I'd just get a new one. So I did and I tossed the old one. Hindsight I probably could have had it repaired, but it's beyond my own ability.

When I got the Mantis weldment, I got the following from him:

There have been some that have had trouble with the strength of the eject
after replacing with my stainless steel weldment. The stainless steel may
cause the coil to have less strength due to the composition of the weldment.
You may need to put in a stronger coil to offset this. This only seems to
happen in about 15% of the cases but I want to make you aware of it up
front.

I've never removed turns from a coil. Any suggestions how to do it?

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

I've never removed turns from a coil. Any suggestions how to do it?

Unsolder one of the tiny wires coming off the lug to the coil, unwind it how ever many turns you want. Resolder.

You might have to remove the wrapper to see which wire to unwind. There is a start and a finish to the wire.

LTG : )

#6 11 years ago

Had the same problem when I had a TOM. One of the coil wires is broken. If you can't find it or are disinclined to repair it, then replace.

#7 11 years ago

Thanks. I'll dig into is today. No fear of trying something new! Worst case is I hose a ten dollar coil

#8 11 years ago

In the solenoid test, I think it always just pops up for a split second, so don't be deceived by that.

#9 11 years ago

Problem resolved for now. I was directed to a post on KLOV. Someone figured out that they could remove the spring from the coil. I did that and the trap door works perfectly now!

So for now I'm going to leave it as is. Not worth swapping in a stronger coil.

One problem solved!

1 month later
#10 11 years ago

I am having the same problem with my new Mantis weldment. I removed the spring as noted above but this did not solve my problem. I've metered the coil, checked the wire, etc. Did anyone solve this by using a stronger coil, and if so, which one specifically? Thanks.

#11 11 years ago

Which spring did you take out? I'm not sure on stronger coils..I wound up not needing to, so someone may be better positioned to comment on that.

Did you remove the spring from the top or bottom of the coil?

#12 11 years ago

Bottom. Thanks. If no one responds with a coil recommendation I'll try 11753, this was used for the MM trolls.

#13 11 years ago

Funhouse was having the same issue and it was the spring

#14 11 years ago

I had the same problem after installing my Mantis trap door assembly. I resolved the problem by bending the bottom tab up just a little bit. It was bent up just enough to allow the trap door to touch the playfield. I discussed this problem with Kerry at Mantis and was told this problem only affects a small percentage of those sold.

#15 11 years ago

Hah! Not a problem unless you're in that small percentage...

#16 11 years ago

Funny, Kerry said the same thing to me

#17 11 years ago

Yeah, it's like the old Starfish story...

#18 11 years ago

Hey NJ...going to Bask Bar tonight?

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from kmoore88:

Bottom. Thanks. If no one responds with a coil recommendation I'll try 11753, this was used for the MM trolls.

putting in a stronger coil, 11753, solved the problem. Also, with the stronger coil you do not need to remove the spring.

6 years later
#20 5 years ago

Man this shit burns me up. Bought the mantis weldment from Marco https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/04-10015.2 and just spent half my Sunday trying to get my trap door to open. When I finally came across this thread and changed the coil it started to work. Weird that the stainless steel somehow causes the coil to be weaker. Would be nice of Marco mentioned something about it in their item description !@#$%^&. I did get it to work using the 11753 coil but it worked better with a 11630.

1 week later
#21 5 years ago

The problem is stainless steel is non-magnetic. So it doesn't help the coil. Putting steel near a magnet boosts the magnetic field slightly. I could make them out of zinc plated steel but that defeats the purpose of making a stronger, better, not prone to rust or breakage unit. I feel your frustration though. I was frustrated trying to figure it out originally as well.

Kerry - Mantis

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from kstairmantis:

The problem is stainless steel is non-magnetic. So it doesn't help the coil. Putting steel near a magnet boosts the magnetic field slightly. I could make them out of zinc plated steel but that defeats the purpose of making a stronger, better, not prone to rust or breakage unit. I feel your frustration though. I was frustrated trying to figure it out originally as well.
Kerry - Mantis

Hi Kerry, I just edited some of the frustration out of my post, I apologize but I was all heated up when I posted that. I do appreciate and use many of the Stainless repro pieces you make and think you make great stuff and are an asset to the parts business, I just think in cases like this that whoever sells these has an obligation to disclose these kinds of possible issues. Thanks for explaining...

3 years later
#23 1 year ago

Just replaced my Theatre of Magic trap door mechanism. I too bought the mech from Mantis Amusements. Replaced the mech and all coil sleeves as well. Turned the game on and the trap door wouldn’t go up more than 1/4” above the playfield.
I bent the trap door forward just a little just to be sure it was hitting the playfield. After doing that it pop up most of the way but it wouldn’t stay up. I read in here about the trap door working after ppl have removed the lower spring. I don’t understand it but it works. Just wanted to add my experience to responses. Thanks for everyones input. Pinside for the win again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

8,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 11.95
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bellbrook, OH
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Massillon, OH
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Steel Tiger Pinball

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tom-my-trap-door-wont-stay-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.