(Topic ID: 7558)

To file or not to file

By mojozone

12 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

ive heard different opinions on this. So is it okay to file the connections on leaf switches?

#2 12 years ago

The old manuals used to say to clean the contacts by passing a crisp new dollar bill through the contacts while gently pressing them closed.

Using a file can leave grooves that give a smaller contact area.

Service guys have a special file actually made for cleaning relays and contacts.

#4 12 years ago

Depends on the type of switch.

A gold flashed switch on a solid state machine, do NOT file at all, you'll cut right through the gold and then you're done. You'll be cleaning it constantly after that. Cardboard damp with alcohol is as abrasive as you want.

tungsten high current leafs, such as EOS switches or most of the higher voltage stuff in EM machines is fine to burnish.

-Hans

#5 12 years ago

I've read to not file gold contact switch's. I think they are cheep enough to just replace when they burn up...

#6 12 years ago
    Quoted from mojozone:

ive heard different opinions on this. So is it okay to file the connections on leaf switches?

This is not subject to opinion, Mojo. Tungsten switches need to be filed. Plated switch contatcts do NOT file.
    I need to find that dissertation I wrote a month or so ago Basically small surface are contatcts only carry minute currents at low voltage for signalling purposes. Clean with matte finish paper like a business card.

Large contacts like end of strokes, pop bumper and flipper cabinet switches are made of tungsten and are designed to carry large currents at relatively higher voltages and will pit from sparking and arcing. These need to be filed to a dome or crown so that they wipe each other when pressed together. This keeps them cleaner longer.

#7 12 years ago
    Quoted from Cliffy:

Clean with matte finish paper like a business card.

I was going to say that I used to use matchbook covers when they were available.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/to-file-or-not-to-file and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.