(Topic ID: 346859)

Tips on repairing back box?

By thirdshift

5 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20231121-074757 (resized).png
    IMG_4764 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4759 (resized).jpeg
    #1 5 months ago

My gut is to squeeze wood glue on the cracked edge here and put some weights on top of the back box to hold it in place. Anyone done a similar repair and have any tips on a good result?

IMG_4759 (resized).jpegIMG_4759 (resized).jpeg
    #2 5 months ago

Easiest is probably clamps and wood glue

#3 5 months ago

I would glue, clamp and shoot a handful of brad nails into it or some finish nails that you then “set” into the wood and fill with putty then paint. It will be very strong that way.

#4 5 months ago

U might have too take the bracket out from the inside first so it can go back in it’s place then wood glue and clamps

#5 5 months ago

glue it up and bar clamps, shoot some brad nails in there if you have a nailer. bar clamps for the win, better than weights.

#6 5 months ago
    Quoted from Williampinball:

U might have too take the bracket out from the inside first so it can go back in it’s place then wood glue and clamps

Yeah I’m wondering what the situation is with the corner brackets also. OP post a pic inside the head please.

#7 5 months ago
    Quoted from Williampinball:

Totally this. Makes me wonder if those carriage bolts are already loose. Do as mentioned above. I literally had to do this on a bottom of both sides of a BSD backbox just 2 weeks ago.

#8 5 months ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Totally this. Makes me wonder if those carriage bolts are already loose. Do as mentioned above. I literally had to do this on a bottom of both sides of a BSD backbox just 2 weeks ago.

This was a good question. I opened it up and several bolts are missing nuts altogether. I guess that explains the splitting.

IMG_4764 (resized).jpegIMG_4764 (resized).jpeg
    #9 5 months ago

The game I worked on got dropped, so not sure if the bolts on the game I worked on already had loose bolts before that or not. I don't normally check every game I work on for that type of thing, including my own.

#10 5 months ago

Clamps and wood glue.

You may need to remove inner brackets. Do a dry test with the clamps to make sure it fully closes the gap. Clear out any loose pieces or such preventing the gap from closing fully. Once clear the repair will be almost invisible.

#11 5 months ago
    Quoted from thirdshift:

This was a good question. I opened it up and several bolts are missing nuts altogether. I guess that explains the splitting. [quoted image]

Yes I thought so ,u have too take that bracket off then clean the area then re glue with clamps too pull it back down then fill ,sand ,paint and put bracket back on good too go

#12 5 months ago

Thanks for advice all

#13 5 months ago

This is what I used to clamp the backbox. https://www.harborfreight.com/1-inch-x-15-ft-ratcheting-band-clamp-66220.html

Screenshot_20231121-074757 (resized).pngScreenshot_20231121-074757 (resized).png
    #14 5 months ago
    Quoted from thirdshift:

Thanks for advice all

Np make sure too clean where it came apart really good so that can go back together really good if not it won't been there many times I learn the hard way

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tips-on-repairing-back-box and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.