• 6 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by slochar
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hello all,

So I’ve run into an issue with my machine “Time Warp”.

When I play a game and the ball falls into the place behind the flippers, the ball will stay there and the selonoid will not attempt to push the ball. It’s odd because when starting a game the selonoid will push the ball into play.

Here’s what I’ve done so far:

1) Checked all fuses and replaced any burnt ones

2) Run the solonoid test function to make sure all are working correctly (they are)

3) Checked the piece that the ball falls on when you lose it. The weight of the ball should be able to send a signal to the solonoid to push it back into play. I also adjusted this to make sure it wasn’t too low or too high. I also made sure to check that all connections are still soldered properly.

I hope this information can is useful in diagnosing an issue. I can provide pictures as well. Thank you!

#2 4 years ago

Single ball williams machines of that era don't check the status of the outhole switch when starting a game. It assumes the ball is there and launches it without taking into account its status. Nor does the switch in any way connect directly to the solenoid. That's completely under the cpu and software control.... software senses switch close and reacts to it, by counting down the bonus, advancing to the next player/ball/game over. Next player/ball causes the solenoid to activate under software control. No switch sense=ball never ends (like you're seeing)

Sounds like you have a dead switch. Time to try running the switch test! Put all the drops up and the ball into the drain see if it shows up. If it doesn't, press on it manually or use something to hold the blades closed. Still not showing up, look for broken wires. Outhole switch is likely the very last switch on the chain.... tug gently on the wires where they are soldered to the blades.

Go read pinwiki in the system 4-7 section, switch matrix is covered really well there, including how to test.
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_3_-_7#Switch_Problems

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Single ball williams machines of that era don't check the status of the outhole switch when starting a game. It assumes the ball is there and launches it without taking into account its status. Nor does the switch in any way connect directly to the solenoid. That's completely under the cpu and software control.... software senses switch close and reacts to it, by counting down the bonus, advancing to the next player/ball/game over. Next player/ball causes the solenoid to activate under software control. No switch sense=ball never ends (like you're seeing)
Sounds like you have a dead switch. Time to try running the switch test! Put all the drops up and the ball into the drain see if it shows up. If it doesn't, press on it manually or use something to hold the blades closed. Still not showing up, look for broken wires. Outhole switch is likely the very last switch on the chain.... tug gently on the wires where they are soldered to the blades.
Go read pinwiki in the system 4-7 section, switch matrix is covered really well there, including how to test.
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_3_-_7#Switch_Problems

Just ran a switch test and you’re correct! It isn’t being recognized by the ball, my fingers or when I shimy it around a bit.

Just a question: I’m going to be looking for some more loose connections on the piece now; but what do you mean by “blades” it’s the only part I didn’t quite understand.

Regardless, tyvm!

#4 4 years ago

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/06-8AR-10

random example

switch blade is what the contacts attach to, there are at least 2 in your switch... they're built up into a little stack with bakelite spacers in the middle with 2x plastic tubes to hold them together. Sometimes there's a dead blade as well that helps limit the travel of one of the blades.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/06-8AR-10
random example
switch blade is what the contacts attach to, there are at least 2 in your switch... they're built up into a little stack with bakelite spacers in the middle with 2x plastic tubes to hold them together. Sometimes there's a dead blade as well that helps limit the travel of one of the blades.

Ah okay! I know exactly what that is. Is there a way to test if it is dead?

I’m most likely going to call up a professional for this then. If the case is that it needs soldering work (I know how to solder but don’t trust myself enough with this job) or if it is a dead blade. What’s a way to test the blade?

#6 4 years ago

dead blade just refers to one that's there to make sure one of the blades with a contact on it doesn't go too far - it doesn't mean it's a "dead" blade in that it's not working.

You can inspect the contacts and clean them with a piece of file folder or a business card or really any piece of paper - put the paper between the contacts press down on the other contact and run the paper back and forth on it. You will see some black stuff on the paper. If you then look at the contacts they should have a gold finish on them - if it looks broken or silver, the plating is gone and is most likely the source of your issue.

You can test the connection back to the mpu by putting a test clip lead on the 2 solder parts of the blade (or the blade itself) and go into switch test. Put the lead on with the machine off so you don't accidentally short solenoid voltage to the switch matrix.... very bad things happen in that case. Then turn the machine on and go into switch test see if it's showing closed, if it doesn't you probably have a broken wire back to the mpu board.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/time-warp-not-recognizing-when-ball-is-out-of-play-launching-the-ball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.