(Topic ID: 351609)

The loudness war of pinball machines (RBG LED)

By soren

77 days ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 77 days ago by Tuukka
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 77 days ago

A rewrite of what as heard on the latest Slam Tilt Podcast.

"The RGB LED war"

The loudness war broke out in the 1990s. Record labels and radio stations figured out - or at least believed - that the louder your CD or radio signal sounded, when compared to others, the more likely customers and listeners were to fall in favour with you. Combined with advances in production technology, that spawned a spiral of destroying music. Making it so condensed to listen to that it wears your out fast. Even at a moderate listning level. (*cough* Foo Fighters)

Well. Here is the link. For a while now, I have been amusing myself by calling the use of the multi-colour LED "The loudness war of pinball machines". I see similarities.

Advancement in technology being a brighter light per unit, snappier on/off cycle, smaller footprint, multi-colour, less power consumption and more CPU power available to run them. And then what happens? People go apeshit.

A spiral of showing off who can swing the most colour changes, strobe lighting, lengthy and overly complex patterns and all-playfield light shows. Over and over. Hit an unlit target for 100 points. And a double strobe-rainbow, with black-outs, knocks you over. Down to bragging over who has the most number of lights featured in their game. Basically who can shout the loudest.

In all honesty, there are differences between manufactures and designers. Some are extreme while others hold back. No names mentioned. But I cherish that latter. Here is a hint: who are still mastering the colour coded insert glasses? Stay strong.

#2 77 days ago

(shrugs)

Pinballs have always been about garish, attention grabbing lights, and noise.

My favorite off color joke:

Wife says "When we make love, I want lights to flash and bells to ring", so they did it on the pinball machine!

You can do reaallly bad things with LEDs. Clown-puke is a thing.

But I still remember vividly the first Wizard of Oz pinball I saw, with the LED's pulsing like an emerald heart.

Magical.

#3 77 days ago
    Quoted from soren:

A rewrite of what as heard on the latest Slam Tilt Podcast.
    "The RGB LED war"
    The loudness war broke out in the 1990s. Record labels and radio stations figured out - or at least believed - that the louder your CD or radio signal sounded, when compared to others, the more likely customers and listeners were to fall in favour with you. Combined with advances in production technology, that spawned a spiral of destroying music. Making it so condensed to listen to that it wears your out fast. Even at a moderate listning level. (*cough* Foo Fighters)
    Well. Here is the link. For a while now, I have been amusing myself by calling the use of the multi-colour LED "The loudness war of pinball machines". I see similarities.
    Advancement in technology being a brighter light per unit, snappier on/off cycle, smaller footprint, multi-colour, less power consumption and more CPU power available to run them. And then what happens? People go apeshit.
    A spiral of showing off who can swing the most colour changes, strobe lighting, lengthy and overly complex patterns and all-playfield light shows. Over and over. Hit an unlit target for 100 points. And a double strobe-rainbow, with black-outs, knocks you over. Down to bragging over who has the most number of lights featured in their game. Basically who can shout the loudest.
    In all honesty, there are differences between manufactures and designers. Some are extreme while others hold back. No names mentioned. But I cherish that latter. Here is a hint: who are still mastering the colour coded insert glasses? Stay strong.

Ever been to Las Vegas? Basically applies across the board to everything.

#4 77 days ago

I guess we should all be playing pinball with dim candle light?

#5 77 days ago
    Quoted from jgreene:

I guess we should all be playing pinball with dim candle light?

No, but with a #44 bulb lights.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-loudness-war-of-pinball-machines-rbg-led and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.